I'm so sick of my body hair, and waxing issues!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IslandA

Reaction score
I'm so fed up.. I'm also very sad and could really use some professional help and advice.
After a year of waxing regularly i still have so many issues. I really don't want to go back to shaving. My body hair causes me a lot of stress in life. I have had acne and bad skin my whole life and now I'm also dealing with a body hair issue. It's getting tiring..
When shaving, my hair started growing back within hours and I always had a 5 o'clock shadow. I would be shaving my skin raw during the summers. So i started waxing and it seemed amazing but...

1. I have ingrowns only on my bikini area. Nowhere else on my body. I never even got ingrowns from shaving. I have stopped waxing that area and let the hair grow back so I could start treating it, all the proper ways.
I still have some ingrowns and Red marks that just won't go away after 2 months or more of not shaving or waxing. At first it didn't seem like I had any ingrowns. But once I started letting it grow out the ingrowns started coming up.
I recently waxed a small portion of my bikini area so I could wear
Shorts. This area wasnt susceptible to the ingrowns and issues I have been having.
In this area, now there are no ingrowns but each hair has a red flat mark attach to it. Makes it look like an ingrown. But it's not raised.

2. My hair starts growing back in less then a week. Even right after waxing I can still see a five o'clock shadow. Not near as bad as when i shaved. Hence why I started waxing because you could always see my hair, even right after shaving.
If the hair is getting pulled out, root and all. How can I still see hair under the skin!??

3. My skin has got a lot dryer since waxing. Not sure if it's related. But I never had dry body skin.

4. You can see marks where each hair was pulled now on my legs and never used to before. You know those marks you can see on some peoples legs. Well my legs used to be just smooth. Now I can see those marks.

Is my body just designed not to be waxed!? I feel like I'm having all and then some of the side effects of waxing... :( pls anyone?

Are you a qualified waxer or just waxing yourself at home?

I'm also curious if you're a professional waxer.

I am, but even so i prefer someone else to do it because i don't do a great job on myself, stretching correctly, pulling off the right way, etc.

What are you doing in between waxes? Do you regularly exfoliate and moisturise?

How do you treat the ingrown hairs when they appear? X

Have you ever tried laser hair removal? I had trouble with my hair being thick and dark and growing back so quick and ingrown hairs. It's made such a difference

Agree with PP try laser or IPL, most hair won't grow back and the hairs that do are much finer, should sort out ingrown hair issue.

I'm also curious if you're a professional waxer.

I am, but even so i prefer someone else to do it because i don't do a great job on myself, stretching correctly, pulling off the right way, etc.

What are you doing in between waxes? Do you regularly exfoliate and moisturise?

How do you treat the ingrown hairs when they appear? X

I'm not a qualified waxer... But anyone I went to where I am, ( sorry to be brutal) SUCKED!
So I watched video after video and read so much... I know this makes professionals mad as I am a professional nail technician, so I get it.
I have been around waxing my whole life as my older sister is an aesthetician. Even when she waxes me I just don't find they do as good of a job as I can at home ( minus the now ingrown problem) . It hurt so bad I couldn't even handle it.

The thing is I don't get ingrowns anywhere other then my bikini. My underarm hair is as course as my bikini hair and it turns out fine. Which is strange because it is harder to get the right pull and have the skin tight doing my underarms.

I think my legs were honestly just really dry after a long winter. Don't think it had anything to do with waxing now as I started moisturizing them better and they are ok.
So the real issues are the ingrowns and red bumps on my bikini area.

I have tried a lot of remedy's, post wax and the weeks following.
Currently I am using Epllyss ( I'm In Canada) carrioff for ingrowns. I also use a non scented hypoallergenic cream with some tea tree oil.
I think I was over exfoliating at one point as I was using an exfoliating mit in the shower and a glycolic acid toner, so I calmed it down a little as someone advised me to on here.
But I have tried a lot of different things.

I may try and find a local waxer who uses hard wax, seems to be very hard where I am. But I still don't feel like I can even wax my bikini because the ingrowns are still an issue. Takes a year to get into a dermatologist here, but I have thought about it.

Thanks for your reply. With summer here. I just feel like I have to go back to shaving, but really don't want too.

Have you ever tried laser hair removal? I had trouble with my hair being thick and dark and growing back so quick and ingrown hairs. It's made such a difference

I have only had laser on my facial hair, which was a regret as it is hormonal so it came back. Then had electrolysis on it.

Unfortunately I can't afford laser right now. But I would love to someday

I suffer from Ingrown hair a lot. If you study skin you'll know this but long story short - you need to moisturise and exfoliate all in good measure. But to some extent you can't really get rid of these you can just mitigate it. A lot of it has to do with skin type and skin condition. You also need to consider your bikini area is subject to pants and underwear stressing the skin in that area. For me Sugaring is what works. Like anything in life you have to find what works for you!

I'm having laser on my arms. It was a £69 groupon offer for 6 treatments. The therapist is great and it's working really well x

Sounds like IPL or electrolysis might be a good option for you. Have you seen a doctor? I only ask because the combination of a lot of body hair and acne might indicate a hormonal imbalance.

I'm had lazer on my underarms about ten years ago which was amazing and am currently having IPL on my legs and bikini. In my opinion the results from the lazer were better however, I'm only part way through the IPL. No ingrowing hair though so I'm really pleased even if I don't end up completely hair free after the next two sessions.

You need laser.
I've been having it done, and for me it's been a long process but even so the hairs eventually take longer to grow back and also the hair starts to grow back finer.

Eventually you'll be pretty much hair free.

This isn't a quick fix though, it's expensive and a slow process.

I'm not a qualified waxer... But anyone I went to where I am, ( sorry to be brutal) SUCKED!
So I watched video after video and read so much... I know this makes professionals mad as I am a professional nail technician, so I get it.
I have been around waxing my whole life as my older sister is an aesthetician. Even when she waxes me I just don't find they do as good of a job as I can at home ( minus the now ingrown problem) . It hurt so bad I couldn't even handle it.

The thing is I don't get ingrowns anywhere other then my bikini. My underarm hair is as course as my bikini hair and it turns out fine. Which is strange because it is harder to get the right pull and have the skin tight doing my underarms.

I think my legs were honestly just really dry after a long winter. Don't think it had anything to do with waxing now as I started moisturizing them better and they are ok.

Currently I am using Epllyss ( I'm In Canada) carrioff for ingrowns. I also use a non scented hypoallergenic cream with some tea tree oil.
I think I was over exfoliating at one point as I was using an exfoliating mit in the shower and a glycolic acid toner, so I calmed it down a little as someone advised me to on here.

I may try and find a local waxer who uses hard wax, seems to be very hard where I am. But I still don't feel like I can even wax my bikini because the ingrowns are still an issue. Takes a year to get into a dermatologist here, but I have thought about it.

Thanks for your reply. With summer here. I just feel like I have to go back to shaving, but really don't want too.

I highly recommend watching to learn tips about how to wax correctly .Hive hard wax this wax is better than what some waxing companies use – and a lot less painful. I personally have been using this wax for about three months and I’ve found it to be an excellent product and good value for money.
I use another brand wax melting pot –I heat this to the correct temperature and test this on my arm first to avoid any burns.

Ensure that your skin is ready to wax- please read my FAQ’s below
If you are a first time waxed I recommend that you allow your hair to grow to a suitable length for the wax to grab the hairs – if it is longer then trim or shave everywhere and wait three weeks before waxing.
It is essential to prep the skin pre waxing and ensure that you haven’t had a hot bath or sauna steam before wax.
There are brilliant training videos on YouTube if you are unsure of how to carryout waxing on your self in a certain area.

There anything I should do before my waxing?
Yes.
• Refrain from taking a shower or bath immediately before the treatment. Soaking the hair will soften it, allowing it to break more easily and making waxing less effective.
• Make sure the hair is the appropriate length for waxing.?
• Make sure that the area(s) to be waxed are clean.
• There are certain medications and products that should not be taken or used if you plan to have a waxing treatment soon. Topical exfoliants used on the area to be waxed such as Retin-A, Renova, and hydroquinone, oral acne medications such as Accutane, blood-thinning medications, and topical/oral cortisone make the skin more sensitive and increase the likelihood of irritation or other complications. Please check with your doctor if you are unsure whether you should be waxed while on or using a medication.
How often should I get my waxing treatment?
Every four weeks. Regular waxing is essential. The skin will be less sensitive if waxing is done every 4 weeks. Over time, with regular waxing, the hair follicle will have less and less of a grip on the hair to be pulled and the hairs will come out more easily.
Another reason to wax frequently is that you may even experience less hair growth over time.

How can I prevent ingrown hairs?
For the next 24-48 hours avoid on the waxed areas:
• use of exfoliating products (Alpha-Hydroxy Acid (AHA) products, loofahs, scrubs, etc.)
• direct sun exposure and tanning beds
• creams with fragrance or ingredients that may irritate
• deodorant: it results in irritation and clogging of open follicles
• wearing tight clothing: results in irritation and inflammation
• excessive heat, such as that from hot tubs and saunas. Warm showers are okay.
• exercise, if it may cause chaffing or sweating
• touching the freshly waxed area: this encourages irritation
After 24-48 hours, regular exfoliation loofah or exfoliating glove will help keep skin soft and prevent ingrown hairs. – I use a homemade sugar scrub ( ask a question above for recipe )
Can I shave between waxing appointments?
No. Please do not shave between waxing appointments! It disrupts the hair growth cycle resulting in ungrown

I really hope this helps you and also every day just focus on it getting better . Say every day in every way it is getting better and closer to the way I want it . sometimes stress can produce excess hormones and sebum ( fills oils glands and can cause bumps and inflammation) it's a vicious cycle but your not the only one who has suffered .

Another remedy is after waxing clean the area with cotton circle and rubbing alcohol then use coconut oil as a moisturiser .

The skin can also get excessively dry and this can also lead to it producing more oil

Hope this helps
❤️

Latest posts

Back