Insurance query - not allowed to stamp?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilackatz

Reaction score
Hi, I took out my first insurance yesterday & I noticed Nail Art was a separate item. I asked about this and was told unless you have a certificate in Nail Art you can't do it, not even stamping! Presumably this means no glitter, pigments, ombrés or anything. I can't afford another course yet so am really gutted. Is this the same with all insurance companies? Would appreciate any advice as I still have time to cancel. Xxx

Who are you insured with? I would have assumed nail art would be included with normal nail services.

Who are you insured with? I would have assumed nail art would be included with normal nail services.
ABT & it excludes Nail Art unless you have done the course. This seems bizarre as it means no stamping, glitter, ombrés or anything!!!

ABT & it excludes Nail Art unless you have done the course. This seems bizarre as it means no stamping, glitter, ombrés or anything!!!
I will definitely be switching from ABT at my renewal, they are really getting to absolutely ridiculous extremes as to what they insure and don't insure. I would hate to ever have to try and claim on my Insurance with them, as they would no doubt find a way out of covering me.
I asked A couple of years ago at renewal if I had to go on a course for every brand of Gel polish I use or would the fact I was a full service technician with 15 years experience and had done a Shellac Course mean I was covered. When my certificate arrived there was a hand written note on an acknowledgement slip saying I was covered for all gel polish. Not very official though is it, and no doubt deniable if they ever needed to!
I have done a couple of courses with Sam Biddle ( ❤️ ) for nail art, but will that cover me for every kind of nail art, there aren't even any courses for Stamping!
I do think we get obsessed with Insurance on here some times, but no wonder if Insurance companies keep moving the goalposts like this.

Last edited:
I am insured with babtac and find that they consider all qualifications when insuring you rather than having to tick every single box.

Sadly I think the advent of mega cheap insurance with companies we've never heard of who accredit courses that shouldn't be given the time of day are one of the things undermining our industry.

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I found some of ABTs terms to be very unusual and some a bit vague. I'd signed up at an expo where there wasn't an opportunity to read the terms and conditions. When the pack arrived, I phoned them with my concerns. They were so unprofessional and rude and refused me a refund within a cooling off period. I had to get trading standards involved and have been with Babtac ever since.

I assume if you have done the shellac art and style class that would cover you for nail art??

I assume if you have done the shellac art and style class that would cover you for nail art??
I think with ABT it's best to assume nothing. Get it in black and white.

I found some of ABTs terms to be very unusual and some a bit vague. I'd signed up at an expo where there wasn't an opportunity to read the terms and conditions. When the pack arrived, I phoned them with my concerns. They were so unprofessional and rude and refused me a refund within a cooling off period. I had to get trading standards involved and have been with Babtac ever since.
Oh no! I'm phoning them tomorrow to cancel but does that mean they won't refund. I only took it out Friday. They are legally obliged to cancel aren't they?

Who do you guys think is the best company to go with? Xx

I
I think with ABT it's best to assume nothing. Get it in black and white.
i've emailed them to find out. I don't offer nail art yet anyway but will after my course next month. My CND educator is with ABT and she obviously offers nail art so I'm taking it that they will with the qualification if they don't without.

Who do you guys think is the best company to go with? Xx
I look forward to hearing replies. This type of insurance is a way to print money for some I'm sure! Insurance for nail art? Ridiculous, especially if you are already doing enhancements and using monomer lol..

The word insurance makes me want to fall fast asleep because it's mind numbingly boring (although necessary of course)... I think I'll start my own insurance company and call it 'Pink Glittery Sparkly Insurance' make it all sexy and make it exclusive to anything nail related.... Yup, that could work!!

What can actually go wrong with nail art causing a claim?
Severe allergic reactions could lead to a claim, but nail art on top of an enhancement or gel polish is hardly likely to cause that, it's the product that actually touches the nailplate or skin that would be the cause.
Therefore I could carry on as normal with my nail art certificates, and stick with ABT, but there is a principle here.
ABT recently said you had to have a certificate for IBX, and several people on here who had been using IBX posted that they would change insurers if that was the case as there was no actual training for IBX and any competent nail tech and gel polish trained therapist could easily do this treatment safely.
Then, when several people contacted them ABT retracted this, but all of a sudden a training course and qualification for IBX have now available! So will they change their mind again and insist you have to spend the £50 on this course?

When there are so many untrained unqualified and uninsured people out there undercutting us and cheapening our Industry, I feel doubly got at when Insurance companies take our money and and keep changing what they will and won't cover.

So ABT I'm scouting about for a new Insurer.

Ugh they are so awkward! I'm with ABT but I'm beginning to regret it! going to contact them tomorrow as I love doing nail art!

Ugh they are so awkward! I'm with ABT but I'm beginning to regret it! going to contact them tomorrow as I love doing nail art!

I'm with The Guild & happy with them

I contacted ABT and they advised that nail art is included in their full membership and their nails, tanning and beauty membership and that they would require a certificate unless it was covered in a previous course. So once ive done my CND shellac art and style and sent them my certificate I'll be covered.

And yes there was an issue with IBX, I contacted them and they advised they wouldn't cover it and then people complained and now they do cover, they just added it to my policy.

But as someone else had said, what sort of claim could by made against nail art anyway. Surely the claim would be against the service they were having such as acrylics, gel polish etc.

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I've been in contact with ABT recently re insurance cover (I'm training) and I can say I've been less than impressed. I initially contacted them as I was lured by the Scratch subscription, but honestly I don't think I'll take the cover. In one email I asked 4 questions, to which only 2 were answered (and not perfectly). When I resent, they still only answered one of them - the last still outstanding. How can I trust them to look after my needs if they can't even answer a question?

Who decides what is nail art for goodness sakes?! So if you do a French your using 2 colours... What if you dare to add a single Swarovski or ... shudder to think... Not use white for the tip how stupid is this? I think often the problem is the person on the other end of the phone isn't actually anything other than a sales rep and knows nothing about beauty. Many an argument I've had with insurers over terminology of a treatment.

Ridicolous. Absolute nonsense. My policy runs out in August and I will not be renewing with ABT if this is the case.
Stamping is what sets me apart from competitors in my local area.
They obviously don't understand the simplicity of it.
Insurance companies....aaaarrgggh!
ANNOYING!

I don't believe this! I cancelled my ABT insurance yesterday and rang BABTEC twice who said I didn't need a certificate to be covered for nail art. I have just phoned today to arrange the insurance & been told that I do, they won't cover for nail art without one. This is stupid! Have I now got to pay out for a course teaching me how to stamp etc which I do anyway???!!! Sorry ranting!!!

Latest posts

Back