Is it weird or bothersome to request extra time under the dryer?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warm_and_comfy

Reaction score
Hi there, not a stylist myself but a frequent salon visitor! Hopefully it's okay if I ask you professionals for your opinion.

I've been falling in love with deep conditioning treatments and it seems like most people dread being parked under a dryer, I love it! It's so peaceful and relaxing, I want to stay under for an hour or two!

The other week my stylist double booked me and kept adding "5 more mins" which turned my 20 minute deep conditioning processing time into 50 mins. She seemed a little flustered and apologetic about it, but deep down inside I loved it.

I ended up tipping her extra, which I think confused her a little, hah.

Is it weird to ask for a longer time under the dryer? How would I go about this?

The way in which we booked time out in a hair salon I worked at this would possibly have confused the diary...

9am - Client A colour applied
9.45am - B colour applied
10.30am - A wash and cut etc
11.15am - B wash and cut...

So, unless it conveniently works out, it wasn't naturally the way that appointments went.. Speak with your stylist she may be more than happy to give you extra time x

After rereading, I guess client C could come and have your cut time and then move you on to the next slot...

Thanks Emily, great insight into how you do bookings! :)

Just wondering if this is a weird request or actually quite common... Also I'm more than happy to pay for the extra time!

I'm sure you're stylist wouldn't mind leaving you with your treatment on for longer :) they may just do another person while you're under there! No harm in asking :). I wouldn't mind, we always aim to keep our clients happy :)

Thanks JJH93!

I took your advice and called the salon. They were a little confused why I wanted more time under the dryer, because normally people tend to ask for less time instead.

Although my usual stylist is pretty booked up tomorrow, they can definitely accommodate me "as long as you're okay with being parked under the dryer, lol" is what my stylist said. She'd even throw in a "free hand sauna", which I didn't even know was a thing. Google told me they are some sort of mittens? I mean, it's free, I'll take it haha!

I'll let you know how it went! So excited :)

Ah that's lovely! Ooh let us know about the hand sauna! Glad you got what you wanted :)

So I went in yesterday and I arrived 10 mins early (as I usually do). My stylist confirmed with me I was okay with "spending a little extra time under the dryer, because I'm booked solid today" and I obviously agreed!

I got a bit of a rushed shampoo and the massage was skipped, and I was placed under the dryer. She used one of those thick treatment capes, and I asked if she could take it off or have a lightweight cape. I was a little surprised that she said this was against salon policy? And because they were solidly booked all the nice capes were in use or in the wash. She seemed a little annoyed and was clearly stressed for time so I figured I shouldn't argue.

Before even spending 10 mins under the heat the nail technician came over to massage both my hands and then wrapped them in cream before wrapping a plastic bag on each of them followed by a thick glove to seal the heat in. She said I only had to wear them for a little while and she would be back in 15 mins.

I was enjoying this for the first 30 mins, although I did started to get a little warm under the dryer, with those thick gloves and this cape. I tried to get the nail technician's attention since she clearly forgot about me. It wasn't until the full hour went by and the dryer stopped that my stylist came over. I mentioned I was getting a little hot and the nail technician said it would only be 15 mins and I couldn't use my phone with these things on. Her response was a simple "I'm just going to rinse my client out and you'll be next. Just 10 more minutes."

This 10 more minutes was a poor estimate since her client got a shampoo, a cut and full blow dry. I didn't see the nail technician once and finally after another full hour under the heat my stylist came to release me. I wasn't too happy that they forgot about me, but my stylist said "Careful what you wish for, I told you I would park you under the dryer haha!"

That shampoo after felt so great though and my hair is the softest it's ever been. The nail technican also finally came back and pretended like she didn't forget about me, but my hands are so soft now!

Although 2 hours was definitely too long, I think I'll go back and book an hour instead. Really, my hair is so soft and it smells amazing! I got charged double for the treatment and made sure to tip well. I appreciate the salon and my stylist for accommodating me.

Just a reminder that when they say "you'll be parked under the dryer", that they might park you under the dryer!! :p:rolleyes::oops::D

Latest posts

Back