Is there a nationwide shortage of therapists?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bettyboobumpkin

Reaction score
Just interested to see what everyone else thinks but I'm based in Northamptonshire and Bucks and have found it really difficult to recruit therapists this year. I've been looking for a senior nail tech and beauty therapist for 2 months now and had hardly anyone apply who had even 1 years experience.

No nationwide shortage, quite the opposite. Very over saturated but none of them want to work for anyone and build experience, they start businesses or go mobile straight out of college.

I am finding the same, my local colleges have also said their numbers of students enrolling for beauty has gone down drastically.

I find this fascinating. The industry feels saturated from a self employed perspective but staff retention and recruitment has always looked like it might be a challenge.

Personally I feel that the incentives of employed roles in the industry have got some catching up to do. After a while I think experienced therapists reach the point where they cba to be working hard (weekends and shifts) for a smidge above minimum wage, especially after a good few years in the industry.

I think being employed is great straight after college because the learning curve and opportunity to build an established cv is there. I can see how employers would attract applications from college leavers but not from experienced therapists.

I find this fascinating. The industry feels saturated from a self employed perspective but staff retention and recruitment has always looked like it might be a challenge.

Personally I feel that the incentives of employed roles in the industry have got some catching up to do. After a while I think experienced therapists reach the point where they cba to be working hard (weekends and shifts) for a smidge above minimum wage, especially after a good few years in the industry.
I think you've hit the nail on the head. People work in the industry for the love of it, certainly not the money.
Going to college for 2/3 years, struggle to find a job as you have no experience and be on minimum wage doesn't sound appealing.

Sometimes I worry that my honesty on the subject might come across as arrogance but I believe strongly that the industry needs to have a realistic and open dialogue about how things can be improved for professionals and clients alike.

I find it interesting to hear about the low recruitment figures for beauty courses. I think this may be a similar case across the board for all subjects though. The increase in costs has made undertaking education feel like a big scary investment rather than a chance to see if something might be for you. I'm passionate about education and I find that sad.

A few years ago I decided to retrain in beauty therapy. It cost me almost the same as my university tuition fees - not cheap! Once qualified I decided to work for someone else to gain experience and I'd never ever felt so excited about a job before! I was so eager and willing to work my socks off!
Reality: the money was shocking, minimum holidays + no benefits (other than sales related) and I was worked to the bone. I'd never experienced anything like it. Undervalued, underpaid and over worked. I couldn't believe that I'd left a well paid job and was highly respected in my line of work, to go and do this in my 30s with a mortgage and bills to pay! My husband thought I was crazy!

Eventually I went self employed and don't get me wrong it's been hard work, but within just a few months I was earning a lot more and was a lot happier. I know many people who have had similar experiences to me, so I can see why the industry is unappealing and why so many therapists choose to go self employed.

From my original training group, there is only 1 person who is employed, all the others either went self employed or left the industry completely.

That's very interesting. If you added up all the hours you spend promoting yourself, buying stock, doing your accounts and admin and going on training and work out an hourly rate do you think you're making that much more than when you were working in the salon?
I only ask as I run 3 salons which are very successful but probably don't pay myself much more (if I added up all the hours I spend on the business) than the minimum wage.

I have been in the industry for over 20 years and feel that this issue is really coming to a head. Why is it that female dominated industry is perceived by the general public to be of so much less value than male?

If I went to get my car fixed at the garage and told the garage owner that the £250 bill that I was given was too much I would be laughed out of the place. Why is it that the public feel that beauty treatments should be at rock bottom prices when they demand top quality service?

Until we start to charge more realistic fees for our services the wages will always be poor as you can pay people what you don't have.

And finally if I drive past any more black boards on the side of the road advertising

" Gel nails and spray Tan just £20"
I think I might go mad!

Please everyone stop this race to the bottom, we are worth so much more than that!

I struggle to find anyone experienced too - it's really hard, despite the fact I offer a good degree of flexibility, above average wages and holiday and a lovely environment. It's so frustrating but it feels like there is nobody wanting to work in a salon [emoji53]

That's very interesting. If you added up all the hours you spend promoting yourself, buying stock, doing your accounts and admin and going on training and work out an hourly rate do you think you're making that much more than when you were working in the salon?

You're right, once you take away all outgoing, I probably don't earn a huge amount more, but..... it's still more, whilst working less hours, with far less stress and being my own boss. For me personally the overall benefits far outweigh working for someone else.
Don't get me wrong, I have friends who work in salons and love it and only have good things to say, but I know far more who have had the experience that I had and don't think it's worth it.

Echo all that you say Bettyboobumpkin!
The perception that salon owners rake it in, whilst paying their staff peanuts is so unfair.
If I'm honest, for the hours spent with 'other stuff', I earn less than the minimum wage....but I love what I do!
What folk fail to acknowledge, is we are paying much more than the minimum wage of £7.50....most of us offer commission, and if you add to that holiday pay, the new pension costs....training.... uniforms....free treatments....believe me, it add up to more than you think.
The real issue IMO is the 'slashing' of prices.
It's become a national sport to see who can squeeze the price down on whatever.......and pay the least.
Low pricing = low rewards.
I had a client tell me her friend think's my charging £60.00 for a colour cut & blowdry is robbery!
Apparently she pays her mobile hairdresser £10.00!!!!!
"WHAT.....REALLY....... How could that be....."!
She buys the box colour when it's on special at the supermarket...
.........."But, even if she pay's a fiver for it....why would you spend 2 hours of your time....for £5.00?
Oh, she doesn't take as long as that....she leaves her to wash it off herself.....CLASSY:rolleyes:

Echo all that you say Bettyboobumpkin!
The perception that salon owners rake it in, whilst paying their staff peanuts is so unfair.
If I'm honest, for the hours spent with 'other stuff', I earn less than the minimum wage....but I love what I do!
What folk fail to acknowledge, is we are paying much more than the minimum wage of £7.50....most of us offer commission, and if you add to that holiday pay, the new pension costs....training.... uniforms....free treatments....believe me, it add up to more than you think.
The real issue IMO is the 'slashing' of prices.
It's become a national sport to see who can squeeze the price down on whatever.......and pay the least.
Low pricing = low rewards.
I had a client tell me her friend think's my charging £60.00 for a colour cut & blowdry is robbery!
Apparently she pays her mobile hairdresser £10.00!!!!!
"WHAT.....REALLY....... How could that be....."!
She buys the box colour when it's on special at the supermarket...
.........."But, even if she pay's a fiver for it....why would you spend 2 hours of your time....for £5.00?
Oh, she doesn't take as long as that....she leaves her to wash it off herself.....CLASSY:rolleyes:

I so agree with you on all of the above, you're so right!

I had a friend complain to me last week about prices in(another friends salon) being too high for nails and I told her that she was quite reasonable and that I would charge more that £50 for a full gel pedicure and gel manicure. She now goes to someone who's charging her £15 for gel nails. GRR!!

So many interesting points made. One of the issues is that it is easy to do a short course and set up with minimal fuss. This produces a lot of competition as there is a low entry barrier to get started. I think a lot of people get disillusioned with the industry when they realise the hard graft it requires to be successful. Then when they want a mortgage etc - they realise beauty is not consistent. Even when I used to work for salons, I would get told to go home when there were no clients in, which meant no pay! I have been in and out several times over the last 30 years and wonder about the sustainability of a consistently good wage. Do not get me wrong I earn a fair amount for what I do but you can never guarantee you will earn the same in 2 months time!

Over the last 30 years I have watched education in the beauty industry decline appallingly. 30 years ago a full time course meant Monday to Friday 9.30 am - 5.00 pm with one evening per week in the college salon. You attended for 3 years and were educated to a standard where you were able to step in to any spa across the world. Anatomy and physiology was thorough and detailed and your treatment timings were up to industry standard before you could even be passed for assessment. You left qualified in manicures, pedicures, facials, lash treatments, electrical facials, body electricals, body treatments, aromatherapy, reflexology, electrolysis, Swedish and remedial massage, Indian head massage, dietetics and nutrition, postural diagnosis, hairdressing, make-up (which included media, commercial and morticians!) with sauna, Jacuzzi and infra-red endorsements. After this you were informed you would start at the bottom of the industry and work your way up. Education standards were exceptionally high, as they were throughout. Uniform inspections every morning, nails had to be short, hair up and off your collar, make-up perfectly applied, no runs in stockings, salon shoes clean and polished, and white uniforms spotlessly clean.

Whilst I understand that list may be a little much for some to palate the ethos was that you should be a well rounded therapist able to step in to any environment.

I have tried to be more accommodating when recruiting, for example when interviewing level 2 students for a trainee role while they complete their level 3, I ask them to name all the superficial muscles of the face, in the last five years not one candidate has been able to do this, most have not been able to name even one. I always have optimism and ask for the bones of the skull, lower arm and hand, and lower leg and foot...... nothing. When asked if their anatomy exam was done on a computer with multiple choice questions? the answer is always yes. All this does is is teach you to guess well, this form of examination is letting our students down horrifically and it's bloody lazy. When it comes to trade testing not one candidate has been able to successfully remove dead cuticle from the nail plate, they have never been shown how to handle a cuticle knife correctly, they are amazed when I teach them how to do this! Level two therapists are told at college that they can expect £10 per hour basic salary, which would put them on £15 per hour with bonuses and when I inform them that I can only pay minimum wage until they are able to perform their treatments on time and to the same standard as everyone else in the salon they are quite shocked as they have been told in college that they can earn £9.50 per hour straight away.

When interviewing newly qualified level 3 candidates I find that same standard, my rule is if you can't name it, you can't touch it. I ask candidates to name the superficial muscles of the back and various muscles around the body, again, in the last five years, nothing but startled faces and stuttered replies. The Swedish massage routine that is currently being taught is truly horrific, a series of half arsed effleurage strokes with clearly no underpinning knowledge of musculature and how to effect change in the body. This change in massage happened about 20 years ago, I noticed a sudden and dramatic change when I was a spa director in central London, I always carried out the trade test for applicants and suddenly massage become a pathetic, light stroking of the skin. I have never to this day understood what happened.

Colleges are currently letting students down horrendously, standards are appallingly low. Had I known how sub-standard the beauty syllabus was I would have opened a college before opening my salon. It takes me a year to train new therapists, they are so shocked at how salon life differs so drastically from their college experience, they always report how under prepared and under educated they feel and I really feel for them, spending all that time and money to come out knowing so little. I've had students tell me that teachers have informed them that they don't really like electrical treatments, so the students have had a fundamental lack of knowledge about electricity, the efficacy of electrical treatments and no underpinning knowledge to successfully communicate to the client exactly what it does. When I start teaching my therapists about electricity we start with Scribonius Largus - the Roman Physician and his use of torpedo fish through Faraday, Galvani and Tesla, to the history and development of the current and effects of each machine. We don't start and end with "it plumps the skin and gets rid of toxins," or any other vacuous, easy statement one wishes to insert. It does help that I have a huge passion for electrotherapy and have taught across the UK and Europe.

I am bloody angry, I'm tired and exhausted and I'm fed up of the amount of time and money it costs me to train new therapists. I just want them to come out of college and be ready to work, so I can add in the next level of their training instead of the basics that they should be leaving college with.

Sorry for the huge rant, but I really am at my wits end on this subject and beginning to regret starting my salon, I had planned to have three by this point but I can only just about staff one.

Bravo.....
well done for voicing what so many know to be true.:D
I'm 'old school', so know exactly where you're coming from.

It is this way IMO, because folk don't want to wait!.
I know from my own experience (having 2 teenage daughters), they want it NOW....the whole idea of starting at the bottom, working your way up...practice practice practice, is not on their radar.

Fast track training is a real money spinner....this is the problem.:confused:
Give them what they want - trained within a day/week/fortnight...and trust me, your course will be full.
Tell them they will take a year, two, or three...and I suspect little interest.

My newbie hairstylist came to me after completing her level 3 'advanced' hairdressing course, expecting to be classed as a senior stylist.
She had soooo much still to learn.
She felt cheated. This was an expensive lesson for her.
They had told the students they would be able to walk into senior posts, in top London hotels, spas, cruise ships......
I felt for her....and we have worked on the many 'gaps' in her knowledge, but there is still a way to go before 'senior' level is achieved.
This is why the 'Profession' has little respect from the public nowadays.

A client who has a substandard treatment, leave's feeling disappointed, and decide's they just as well do it themselves, or seek out the 'everything for a tenner' salons for a cheap 'do'!

'Spa war's', is a perfect example of the state our industry is in.......:(

Over the last 30 years I have watched education in the beauty industry decline appallingly. 30 years ago a full time course meant Monday to Friday 9.30 am - 5.00 pm with one evening per week in the college salon. You attended for 3 years and were educated to a standard where you were able to step in to any spa across the world. Anatomy and physiology was thorough and detailed and your treatment timings were up to industry standard before you could even be passed for assessment. You left qualified in manicures, pedicures, facials, lash treatments, electrical facials, body electricals, body treatments, aromatherapy, reflexology, electrolysis, Swedish and remedial massage, Indian head massage, dietetics and nutrition, postural diagnosis, hairdressing, make-up (which included media, commercial and morticians!) with sauna, Jacuzzi and infra-red endorsements. After this you were informed you would start at the bottom of the industry and work your way up. Education standards were exceptionally high, as they were throughout. Uniform inspections every morning, nails had to be short, hair up and off your collar, make-up perfectly applied, no runs in stockings, salon shoes clean and polished, and white uniforms spotlessly clean.

Whilst I understand that list may be a little much for some to palate the ethos was that you should be a well rounded therapist able to step in to any environment.

I have tried to be more accommodating when recruiting, for example when interviewing level 2 students for a trainee role while they complete their level 3, I ask them to name all the superficial muscles of the face, in the last five years not one candidate has been able to do this, most have not been able to name even one. I always have optimism and ask for the bones of the skull, lower arm and hand, and lower leg and foot...... nothing. When asked if their anatomy exam was done on a computer with multiple choice questions? the answer is always yes. All this does is is teach you to guess well, this form of examination is letting our students down horrifically and it's bloody lazy. When it comes to trade testing not one candidate has been able to successfully remove dead cuticle from the nail plate, they have never been shown how to handle a cuticle knife correctly, they are amazed when I teach them how to do this! Level two therapists are told at college that they can expect £10 per hour basic salary, which would put them on £15 per hour with bonuses and when I inform them that I can only pay minimum wage until they are able to perform their treatments on time and to the same standard as everyone else in the salon they are quite shocked as they have been told in college that they can earn £9.50 per hour straight away.

When interviewing newly qualified level 3 candidates I find that same standard, my rule is if you can't name it, you can't touch it. I ask candidates to name the superficial muscles of the back and various muscles around the body, again, in the last five years, nothing but startled faces and stuttered replies. The Swedish massage routine that is currently being taught is truly horrific, a series of half arsed effleurage strokes with clearly no underpinning knowledge of musculature and how to effect change in the body. This change in massage happened about 20 years ago, I noticed a sudden and dramatic change when I was a spa director in central London, I always carried out the trade test for applicants and suddenly massage become a pathetic, light stroking of the skin. I have never to this day understood what happened.

Colleges are currently letting students down horrendously, standards are appallingly low. Had I known how sub-standard the beauty syllabus was I would have opened a college before opening my salon. It takes me a year to train new therapists, they are so shocked at how salon life differs so drastically from their college experience, they always report how under prepared and under educated they feel and I really feel for them, spending all that time and money to come out knowing so little. I've had students tell me that teachers have informed them that they don't really like electrical treatments, so the students have had a fundamental lack of knowledge about electricity, the efficacy of electrical treatments and no underpinning knowledge to successfully communicate to the client exactly what it does. When I start teaching my therapists about electricity we start with Scribonius Largus - the Roman Physician and his use of torpedo fish through Faraday, Galvani and Tesla, to the history and development of the current and effects of each machine. We don't start and end with "it plumps the skin and gets rid of toxins," or any other vacuous, easy statement one wishes to insert. It does help that I have a huge passion for electrotherapy and have taught across the UK and Europe.

I am bloody angry, I'm tired and exhausted and I'm fed up of the amount of time and money it costs me to train new therapists. I just want them to come out of college and be ready to work, so I can add in the next level of their training instead of the basics that they should be leaving college with.

Sorry for the huge rant, but I really am at my wits end on this subject and beginning to regret starting my salon, I had planned to have three by this point but I can only just about staff one.

I really agree with you on all this. Reading your post took me right back to my college days. I did my training 24 years ago so apart from hairdressing it sounds very similar. I think the wage rate is a huge issue at the moment as the national minimum wage has pushed wages up accross the board but we can't aford to pay junior therapsits who spend half their time cleaning £9 per hour. I have 3 salons but am struggling to staff all of them at the moment but have come to the conclusion that I would rather be swhort staffed than employ sub standard therapists.

There's many a moan on this site regarding poor pay......but you cannot expect to earn a high wage if you are bringing nothing to the table!
This industry has become so devalued.
It's an 'anyone can train over the weekend' kind of job
Earn yourself some 'pin money/ pocket money/ bit on the side'.....

Because standards are lowered.....down comes the price! :(
Profit margins shrink.
I can vouch from my own experience, there's many a salon owner out there going without a wage, in order to pay their staff!

Training needs to go back to being a whole subject, rather than the 'bits & bobs' it has become.

Gosh I'm so glad it's not just me that can't find good staff ! And I'm in agreement with wishing the therapists would leave college ready to work but they just aren't.

There does need to be something put in place to give experienced therapists incentive to stick at employed roles. This could bring some much needed balance to a lot of beauty teams.

I only ask as I run 3 salons which are very successful but probably don't pay myself much more (if I added up all the hours I spend on the business) than the minimum wage.

I have been in the industry for over 20 years and feel that this issue is really coming to a head. Why is it that female dominated industry is perceived by the general public to be of so much less value than male?

If I went to get my car fixed at the garage and told the garage owner that the £250 bill that I was given was too much I would be laughed out of the place. Why is it that the public feel that beauty treatments should be at rock bottom prices when they demand top quality service?

Until we start to charge more realistic fees for our services the wages will always be poor as you can pay people what you don't have.

And finally if I drive past any more black boards on the side of the road advertising

" Gel nails and spray Tan just £20"
I think I might go mad!

Please everyone stop this race to the bottom, we are worth so much more than that!

Latest posts

Back