Is this job viable as you get older and physically less robust?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ELLE BELLA

Reaction score
I was wondering if any more mature hairdressers on here are planning to Continue in this line of work indefinitely?
Having recently had a cortisone injection for tennis elbow which appears to have been successful and various other aches and pains ( mostly shoulders , neck ) which I won't bore you with , I wonder if I should think about re- training in another line of work
As I worry if things get much worse , I won't be physically able to do it anymore .
I don't know many mature hairdressers ! And to be honest it's not something I ever thought about when I entered this profession as a school leaver .
Thoughts please ![emoji3]

Hello!

I'm a self employed beauty therapist and after 20 years, my hands are starting to show signs of wear! :-D

This has made me think long term, I'll need to do this until I retire, so about another 20 years.

Just wondering if I should consider some kind of personal insurance, not just accident and illness, but maybe my hands as well?

Has anyone else done this? My current insurance with The Guild only covers the business.

Thanks in advance:)

Hi both,

Hope you don't mind but I've merged your two threads together as they cover a similar topic and affect Geeks in both the Beauty and Hair related professions and it would be interesting to garner more views.
-----------------

Is there such a thing as insurance cover that's financially affordable for our type of profession as opposed to say people in the Entertainent or Sports industries on massive salaries?

Would it be sensible to consider retraining in a complementary field or even a different field entirely?
Are there useful skills that you can easily transfer?

Last edited:
I came into hairdressing in my forties having retrained after having a child.
I wanted to do something creative and preferably completely different to the type of work I'd previously undertaken.

However, I don't see why you couldn't do something similar but in reverse!

I'm Mature! :p
I've been hairdressing now - full time without parole for 39 years!
You do realise.... "you can check out any time you like - but you can NEVER leave"........LOL.

On a serious note, it's basically repetitive strain.
Sooner or later we show signs of 'wear & tear', as in any manual job :(

Have you considered having your own salon?
That way, you can then still be 'in' the industry...but take on a more managerial role, letting the young bones strut their stuff, whilst you oversee the business side of things.:cool:

Hi both,

Hope you don't mind but I've merged your two threads together as they cover a similar topic and affect Geeks in both the Beauty and Hair related professions and it would be interesting to garner more views.
-----------------

Is there such a thing as insurance cover that's financially affordable for our type of profession as opposed to say people in the Entertainent or Sports industries on massive salaries?

Would it be sensible to consider retraining in a complementary field or even a different field entirely?
Are there useful skills that you can easily transfer?

Hi, just to say that if you were taking out income protection then any pre-existing conditions would be excluded. So if you already have symptoms of wear and tear in your hands, the insurance policy would exclude any loss of income resulting from hand problems.

I'm coming from a massage angle but I think it's the same with any job that causes physical pain/discomfort overtime: it has a shelf life.

If going to work everyday causes you pain then it's not worthwhile, especially if you reach the point where the pain is becoming progressively worse.

I found massage interesting and enjoyable and when it was good it was good. I don't regret leaving the industry though because it got to the point where I was in too much pain to work my notice. Also, I think it can be really rewarding to change careers, learn new skills and have a change of scenery.

Thanks for merging, good idea!

I don't want to give up, I love my job and my lovely clients :) I have a home salon as prefer the lack of stress that was involved in previous managerial roles.

I haven't been to see a doctor but general aches and pains after a busy day make me think more long term than perhaps I would if employed.

Would be good to hear others long term plans!

I'm late 40's now and this year has had me thinking about the future. I'm not hair but beauty, work full time from home and quite honestly I'm wrecked! Trouble is I've been self employed for almost 20 years and the thought of being employed is.......well something I'd rather not have to do lol so that would mean another business in another area and starting from scratch again :confused:

Have you considered education? I'm only 2 years in and I already have had a cortisone injection for a frozen shoulder and issues with my fingers and elbows.
My previous job was a trainer so I'm considering furthering my education next year and combining both.

Thanks for merging, good idea!

I don't want to give up, I love my job and my lovely clients :) I have a home salon as prefer the lack of stress that was involved in previous managerial roles.

I haven't been to see a doctor but general aches and pains after a busy day make me think more long term than perhaps I would if employed.

Would be good to hear others long term plans!
I'm in my early 40's and after 20 years really feel the difference after a busy day. I have 3 salons so don't work alone but I'm still quite hands on but am trying to gradually take myself out of the diary and slowly reduce what I'm doing but it's not easy as I still really enjoy doing treatments. Long term I would like to cut down to 2-3 days on treatments per week and the rest of the time do management and staff training. Hard to do when you're one of the best earners in the salon!

Have you considered education? I'm only 2 years in and I already have had a cortisone injection for a frozen shoulder and issues with my fingers and elbows.
My previous job was a trainer so I'm considering furthering my education next year and combining both.

I have thought about that, not sure where to start though?!

I'm Mature! :p
I've been hairdressing now - full time without parole for 39 years!
You do realise.... "you can check out any time you like - but you can NEVER leave"........LOL.

On a serious note, it's basically repetitive strain.
Sooner or later we show signs of 'wear & tear', as in any manual job :(

Have you considered having your own salon?
That way, you can then still be 'in' the industry...but take on a more managerial role, letting the young bones strut their stuff, whilst you oversee the business side of things.:

I've seen the problems my employers have had with unreliable staff it's always deterred me from going down that route
I did consider teaching , however, being self employed, my qualifications are only up to a level 2 (I did a full time 2 years at college , 1 year as an improver , then a stylist )
The good thing being self employed is that I can ( usually ) Taylor my day so I get a few breaks
Gone are the days when I can spend 12 hrs on my feet without a rest
"You can check out but never leave " made me laugh [emoji23]

Planning your exit is just as important as planning your entrance.

Moving more into management or ownership is a logical route. But some businesses pay a wage and overheads only so this might not be an option but should be considered and perhaps aimed for.

Reducing your debt wether it be business or at home will help you decide the route you take. Paying off your House may mean you no longer have to work full time.

Starting a home business is always an option, lots of home business on eBay.

I have thought about that, not sure where to start though?!
I used to teach part time at my local FE collage but I think there's better money working for one of the beauty industry companies as a nail or beauty trainer. You can find out about teaching qualifications at college. I think most people do PETALS training now to qualify to become an assessor which is not too arduous.

Latest posts

Back