ITEC beauty therapy, the training room?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sheesh I would say you may as well do an on line course any idiot can read off a PowerPoint. I don't think short courses give the student enough support like you said anyone new would struggle.

But thank you for the update it really is very kind of you. And good luck for your courses

It's possible to know your stuff and not be that good at delivering that information as a teacher.

I'd urge you to search youtube for beauty videos put up by colleges teaching beauty in the UK. This helped me massively on level 2 where the teaching was less than excellent.

Gosh. Thank you for all this.
Very interesting. And it does confirm my worries about the course! Thanks
So much for he information.
Claire x
Hi Claire,

I've done one weekend so far (mani & pedi) and although I am really enjoying it so far, don't go into the lessons blind otherwise I think you will struggle if you are a beginner.

We generally spend the morning going through a PowerPoint on theory which is very fast, tutor reading through the slides but no stopping to discuss anything. Personally I took a photo of each slide on my phone so I can go back and look at it as there wasn't enough time to write it down.. Fortunately I've already completed a nail qualification previously so I understood most of this weekend but i know many of the other girls were completely confused especially with all the technical names and terms of nail disorders. I would thoroughly suggest reading up on the module before the lesson.

The afternoon is then spent doing the practical work where you pair up. So day 1 we did luxury manicures with normal and French application then day 2 we did luxury pedicures including a paraffin wax with the first partner doing it along with the tutor which is very slow and the second partner having to do a quick job to be able to squeeze it in. As said previously you only get shown once so it is important to pay attention and take notes to practice in your own time. Everyone's polish application was pretty terrible to be honest. After the lesson was finished I had to re file and remove the polish from mine straight away as I was going out and it looked terrible haha.

My tutor is new to itec and although she's lovely I do feel she hasn't really got a clue what's going on lol. She knows her stuff from being in the industry a long time but is just reading off our PowerPoint, doesn't know how to pronounce the big words and keeps saying oh I wouldn't do it like this but if this is what the curriculum is saying then this is it... which for me isn't making me feel very confident lol.

It is definitely doable providing you put in a lot of your own time and do a lot of research before hand but someone going in blind and not doing any revision will struggle!

Good luck!
Hi Claire,

I've done one weekend so far (mani & pedi) and although I am really enjoying it so far, don't go into the lessons blind otherwise I think you will struggle if you are a beginner.

We generally spend the morning going through a PowerPoint on theory which is very fast, tutor reading through the slides but no stopping to discuss anything. Personally I took a photo of each slide on my phone so I can go back and look at it as there wasn't enough time to write it down.. Fortunately I've already completed a nail qualification previously so I understood most of this weekend but i know many of the other girls were completely confused especially with all the technical names and terms of nail disorders. I would thoroughly suggest reading up on the module before the lesson.

The afternoon is then spent doing the practical work where you pair up. So day 1 we did luxury manicures with normal and French application then day 2 we did luxury pedicures including a paraffin wax with the first partner doing it along with the tutor which is very slow and the second partner having to do a quick job to be able to squeeze it in. As said previously you only get shown once so it is important to pay attention and take notes to practice in your own time. Everyone's polish application was pretty terrible to be honest. After the lesson was finished I had to re file and remove the polish from mine straight away as I was going out and it looked terrible haha.

My tutor is new to itec and although she's lovely I do feel she hasn't really got a clue what's going on lol. She knows her stuff from being in the industry a long time but is just reading off our PowerPoint, doesn't know how to pronounce the big words and keeps saying oh I wouldn't do it like this but if this is what the curriculum is saying then this is it... which for me isn't making me feel very confident lol.

It is definitely doable providing you put in a lot of your own time and do a lot of research before hand but someone going in blind and not doing any revision will struggle!

Good luck!

Hi, I'm looking at doing the 12 week course level 2 and level 3 in Nottingham. Just wondering how you got on with your courses and if you would recommend doing it.

So yesterday I paid my enrolment fee for the 12 week beauty course in Newcastle and now I've read the reviews (backward I know) I'm really concerned! There is a 14 day cool off period for my enrolment fee so I could cancel today if I feel the need. I don't think with only 12 weeks to do all of this work you can take the chance on having a bad tutor?!

Can anyone else recommend any other training provider they've heard better reviews from? Im currently working full time but managed to temporarily drop a days work and have set days off to complete this course but it sounds like it's going to be far too much! Hellllp x

The quality of teacher is a lottery with all training companies if they have more than one member of teaching staff. I wouldn't drop out of something on this basis alone.

The quality of teacher is a lottery with all training companies if they have more than one member of teaching staff. I wouldn't drop out of something on this basis alone.
It's not just this basis there are other negative comments on this course as well. It just seams like everyone hasn't had a great experiences and a lot of 'buts'.
Have you done the course or know anyone who has?

Last edited:
It's not just this basis there are other negative comments on this course as well. It just seams like everyone hasn't had a great experiences and a lot of 'buts'.
Have you done the course or know anyone who has?

I haven't done the course or know of anyone who has so I have no bias either way. If the teaching is good and the course is well structured and delivered and class size isn't too big, 12 weeks for level 2 sounds feasible.

I haven't done the course or know of anyone who has so I have no bias either way. If the teaching is good and the course is well structured and delivered and class size isn't too big, 12 weeks for level 2 sounds feasible.
It's level 2 and 3 and this is why I'm concerned.. from what people have said it doesn't sound like the course is very well structured and the tutors aren't sure what's going on either! Thanks though but I'm going to look into this further! Xx

It's level 2 and 3 and this is why I'm concerned.. from what people have said it doesn't sound like the course is very well structured and the tutors aren't sure what's going on either! Thanks though but I'm going to look into this further! Xx
Hi,
I Was considering this course and almost signed up but after a lot of digging around I decided against it. There isn't enough positive reviews about it to convince me!

HI I took the plunge and much the same was reviewing and signing up at the same time. I have done my Level 2 and now three weeks left on the Level 3. It is like a crash course so if you are working aim to have at least one day in the week for study. It is intense but we have good tutors who are knowledgeable, experienced in the ways of ITEC and the TTR system and so far it is working for me. They work with you to pass and it has felt quite individualised with the tutors being available by email outside of the sessions for queries and we have a Whats Ap group for us students to share info and support each other. I am eager to complete and get out there and put all that theory and practicals to use in order to build on what I have done so far.
Make sure you have people to support and encourage you, friends and family, who will understand what this entails, how important this is for you and be willing to be clients for treatments, mocks and the exams. People on my course have been great and sometimes brought in an extra client for others to work on. The tutor also engaged people from an office block. I am glad that I am doing this.
You need to be self motivated, be willing to work hard and be consistent.
It is 12 weeks of hard work and then it's over.. thats how I see it.
all the best
A

Hey Demiciel
Its been so hectic especially with Christmas in between that I've not caught up with you! As you can see, I'm almost done and I'd agree with you, about keeping up and whizzing through the theory. I found it helpful that while we do the treatments the tutor asks us questions which is like a revison and helps it to stick and as you near your mocks she will probably do this more and its just like the actual exam so I found that I was really prepared for it. The tutor's tips really helped too.
A

How are you doing on the course girls? I am considering it for January 2017. Any feedback would be really welcome as it seems to good to be true?! X
HI Claire
Sorry!! This is the first time I have been on this site since I started the course, because of the course and combining it with paid employment I should think!! Takes up a lot of your time. But it is doable. People on my course are going for jobs, one girl has an interview with Clarins and they came and invited us all to sign up to register our interests. TTR has partnerships with spas and hotel groups across the country and they will assist with CVs and put you forward for interviews. Passing Level 2 has spurred me on to complete Level 3 which is mainly differnt types of massage and more A&P but there is overlap in the learning from Level 2 so that helps.

All the best
A

I did my training with the Training Room in Manchester. I have mixed feelings. Each group has their own tutor, so I can only comment on my personal experience. I'll try and be as honest as possible.
Firstly, I did level 2 and 3 by attending class every third weekend over a 9 month period. I was unable to do the 6 week option as I also worked full time whilst training. It is totally doable if you have the right attitude and dedication. This isn't like school, college or university though. I went to all 3 and I was very disappointed with lack of communication, organisation and teaching methods used during my course. Luckily I'm a pro-active person but it made learning very difficult.

Positives:
  • I qualified with a high grade (although major side note: this is because I did a lot of work outside of class!)
  • For those who fail any part of the qualification there are free re-sits (so you're basically guaranteed to pass)
  • I got a spa job straight away with no hesitation
  • In 9 months I went from an office job that I hated to working in a top Spa. Likewise, some of the girls that did the qualification in 6 weeks, now have successful beauty jobs.
  • I now work for myself and I'm doing very well :)
  • For those who can't afford to pay for the course upfront, they do provide a finance option.
  • You receive an online account which has videos of most of the practical treatments, all theory and quizzes - I used this a lot!!

Negatives:
  • Although you are provided with a kit on the first day, in order to practice at home you need to buy a lot more products and equipment.
  • Training days are short, for example manicures: you spend an hour going through manicure theory, a couple of hours being shown how to do a full manicure (including all luxury extras!). Then you have lunch break, then you have some time practising on one another. The end. That's Manicures complete. What I'm trying to say if that you are literally shown the basics, and you are often only shown once, so in order to actually pass and be good at what you do, you need to take lots of notes and practice practice practice.
  • I lacked major confidence during the course as I just didn't feel that I was shown enough or monitored enough. I never felt that I received appropriate feedback, and like I said, time in class was short.
  • My group were not shown basics such as using hot towels in facials, how to drape towels etc etc. I did actually make a complaint whilst I was on the course although this wasn't taken seriously.
  • In my experience my group were left to our own devices with paperwork, folders and written assessments - we often had no idea what we were doing and communication was pretty abysmal - so in level 2 we were all completing paperwork right before our practical assessments, everyone flapping and panicking - it was terrible!
  • Tutors didn't always seem to know that we were supposed to be doing and when. As we missed out some very important areas of work, my class had to attend extra days - which for someone working full time was very difficult. So if you're doing the 6 weeks course and your tutor isn't on their A-Game, god knows how you would catch up??!!
  • My class started with 13 people and finished with 4. Most ladies dropped out as they were unaware of the amount of work - it isn't an easy course. There is a lot to learn in a short amount of time, and as I said, you do most of this in your own time.
  • Some people may see this point as a positive but I was shocked at how difficult it was to fail. There were people in my group who passed and I have no idea how!! ......it's shocking that they may now be working in the industry.
  • Lastly, I think it can be a struggle to get people to take you seriously when you qualify in such a short amount of time. Although I did the exact same course as the girls that did it in 6 weeks, I did feel better about mine being over a 9 month period. I've had to work my socks off to prove myself and although thats made me the best that I can be, I'm sure there are people (and other professionals in the business) that would still be put off by my limited trainings. So I went on to do extra courses and CPD sessions.

Obviously I'm glad I did the course as it's gotten me where I am today and I'm very happy, but the course certainly isn't for everyone. It was hard work, draining, disappointing. 90% of the work is done in your own time outside of class so you have to be really motivated. Hope that helps. x

Hi in looking at doin this course the past time one in manchester. Is the kit you get good? What makes do the give you? Thank you xxx

Hi in looking at doin this course the past time one in manchester. Is the kit you get good? What makes do the give you? Thank you xxx

The kit is from Ellisons wholesalers. It's quite basic in terms of quality and I no longer use any of the tools or products I was given - I actually purchased all new items as soon as a qualified. But it's good whilst training and does the job to get you through your exams.

However, you don't actually receive everything that you need for the course. You don't receive many manicure of pedicure products (such as hand / foot soak, exfoliant, hand / foot lotion etc.) or any waxing items, any facial products, any lash extension tools, any massage oils or any cleansing / disinfectant etc.
During class time you get everything you need to perform all the treatments, but in order to be good at what you do, you are required to do a huge amount of practice at home, and therefore you need to purchase quite a lot of kit yourself.

Hi Claire,

Good luck!

Hi. Not sure if i am asking this in the right place-as new to this site. I have been thinking of doing the itec level 2&3 Beauty Therapy with the Training Room for some time now-but really cannot make up my mind. I am entering the profession as a mature student ( in my fifties! ) although i have worked in beauty retail for many years. Firstly- am i rediculous doing this at my age? Secondly-would i struggle to get employment once qualified? And thirdly-am i crazy trying to do this is 12 wks ( i haven't studied for about 20 yrs! ) So is there anyone who has done this later in life? or has maybe completed their training through the training room & had mature students in their group? Would love to hear from someone- as I need to make my decision in a a few days if i want to get onto the course this month.

Hi. Not sure if i am asking this in the right place-as new to this site. I have been thinking of doing the itec level 2&3 Beauty Therapy with the Training Room for some time now-but really cannot make up my mind. I am entering the profession as a mature student ( in my fifties! ) although i have worked in beauty retail for many years. Firstly- am i rediculous doing this at my age? Secondly-would i struggle to get employment once qualified? And thirdly-am i crazy trying to do this is 12 wks ( i haven't studied for about 20 yrs! ) So is there anyone who has done this later in life? or has maybe completed their training through the training room & had mature students in their group? Would love to hear from someone- as I need to make my decision in a a few days if i want to get onto the course this month.

I havnt studied through this college but in my country there was a school who offered a condensed itec course in the evenings and week ends as opposed to our classes which were full time. They joined us for Saturday's etc , and there were students who were in their 40's and I think it really shouldn't matter as long as you are motivated and passionate about what you are doing.
I think you will be fine.
Good luck [emoji256]

I havnt studied through this college but in my country there was a school who offered a condensed itec course in the evenings and week ends as opposed to our classes which were full time. They joined us for Saturday's etc , and there were students who were in their 40's and I think it really shouldn't matter as long as you are motivated and passionate about what you are doing.
I think you will be fine.
Good luck [emoji256]
I know-i really should not be so hung up about this age thing. Thank you so much.

Promise that you'll meet people of all ages who work and train in this industry. Enjoy it :)

Latest posts

Back