Its a male thing !!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayneym

Reaction score
Hello again - its me !!

Just felt I needed to ask why sssooo many of the worlds top nail boffs are male?
That also seems to go for chefs , hairdressers, makeup artists etc?
Why is that girls ?
Just a thought I had to share - sure you've all thought it at 1 time or another !

Off to pencil on my eyebrows , eat my big mac and pop my blonde wig on !!! Such an easy life lol jayneym xxxx

Well there are a hell of allot more women in nail competitions than men!! But men are just as artistic and have just as much chance of making it BIG in nails as anyone else.

I know in Samuel's case, nails appealed because he liked the thought of holding women's hands all day for a JOB!! (sorry sam to give that away)

Maybe men try harder at this job of nails because they are in the minority!!

For many men it is a way to do artwork for them.

Whatever the reason, they are still far outnumbered by we girls.
jayneym said:
Hello again - its me !!

Just felt I needed to ask why sssooo many of the worlds top nail boffs are male?
That also seems to go for chefs , hairdressers, makeup artists etc?
Why is that girls ?
Just a thought I had to share - sure you've all thought it at 1 time or another !

Off to pencil on my eyebrows , eat my big mac and pop my blonde wig on !!! Such an easy life lol jayneym xxxx

It might be something to do with the fact that us girls end up managing the kids, the house, the hubby/partner, anything and everything else that life throws at us as well as our own chosen career as nail tech/beautician/superwoman....

Not saying that blokes can't multi task - just that most (in my experience) DON'T !!!!

:eek: :D :eek:

sugarbabe said:
It might be something to do with the fact that us girls end up managing the kids, the house, the hubby/partner, anything and everything else that life throws at us as well as our own chosen career as nail tech/beautician/superwoman....

Not saying that blokes can't multi task - just that most (in my experience) DON'T !!!!

i agree there :D

sugarbabe said:

I think that has everything to do with it - would love to find a male that could multi task like us women - wouldn't life be wonderful!!!! :wink2:

i dont think thay could ! i made my hubby wotch grummpy old woman ! (has any one seen it ?) just to show him its not only me !!!!

Hi, From a mans point of view. Some men are born with natural talent and flair. Speaking for myself and my shovelled sized hands, I wasn't blessed with natural talent (natural beauty yes.....natural talent no..lol). When you find something in life that you are so passionate about that you eat, sleep and live, you work hard to be the best you can possibly be and be even better. Even when it all seems to be going t**ts up you still come back for more. The majority of women have been painting their nails since they were young girls, for me I only started out just over a year ago and found it alien to be even holding a nail polish bottle and trying to paint a nail but feel I have achieved so much in a short space of time but still have a long long journey to go to be successful. When I say successful, I dont mean being the worlds most famous nail technician but to be successful in every treatment that I give and to know that my clients have walked out the door with their expectations exceeded. I often look at the gallery of your work and read your threads and am blown away by the work you produce and success that you have which inspires me beyond belief. So the saying is true, behind every great man, there has to be a great woman. I am so fortunate to have 2 moms (you know who you are) who supports me and believes in my dreams 100% and so fortunate to have the girls in The Nail Geek Harem who have helped me to be where I am at today.

David.x

Jaydee said:
Speaking for myself and my shovelled sized hands, I wasn't blessed with natural talent (natural beauty yes.....natural talent no..lol
pmsl you are a fibber of massive proportions, you DO have natural talent, you can't 'just do' nails mate, you have to have a flair hidden somewhere that enables you to produce nails to the quality that you do. :wink2:
take care
x

Jaydee said:
Hi, From a mans point of view. Some men are born with natural talent and flair. Speaking for myself and my shovelled sized hands, I wasn't blessed with natural talent (natural beauty yes.....natural talent no..lol). When you find something in life that you are so passionate about that you eat, sleep and live, you work hard to be the best you can possibly be and be even better. Even when it all seems to be going t**ts up you still come back for more. The majority of women have been painting their nails since they were young girls, for me I only started out just over a year ago and found it alien to be even holding a nail polish bottle and trying to paint a nail but feel I have achieved so much in a short space of time but still have a long long journey to go to be successful. When I say successful, I dont mean being the worlds most famous nail technician but to be successful in every treatment that I give and to know that my clients have walked out the door with their expectations exceeded. I often look at the gallery of your work and read your threads and am blown away by the work you produce and success that you have which inspires me beyond belief. So the saying is true, behind every great man, there has to be a great woman. I am so fortunate to have 2 moms (you know who you are) who supports me and believes in my dreams 100% and so fortunate to have the girls in The Nail Geek Harem who have helped me to be where I am at today.

David.x

how sweet is that, xxx i think its great that men do nails especially ones with natural beauty xxx

What other job do you get paid for holding a woman's hand all day :?:

Being a nail tech, has it's advantages ! ;)

Grand Master Geek has got the right idea :wink2:

I can't help but add to this as watching Mike my husband take up nails as his new career it has got to be said that he cannot stand not being able to do something, he puts every spare minute into perfecting his polish application, smile lines and even his customer care. This is great if you have the time but as we all know he didn't have to feed and walk the dog, take the kids to school, put the washing in etc. etc. But we women can do all that and nails. What I am trying to say is that men are naturally more business minded and are very focused. They are more easily forgiven by their new clients who almost take pity on them and encourage them to progress and do well. I never got all this from my clients at the beginning in fact if they did not like something they told me. I know Mike loves his new job and the clients love him in fact they always ask for his advice and take it, he even quotes Doug Schoon's book at them and they love it. They are a minority in our industry and because they are of the breed that cannot multi task this helps them in getting where they want to be because they are competeting with themselves. I think men in our industry are great and I know that it helps my salon having Mike there. A big up to all male nail techs

Jaydee said:

David.x
You have natural talent and flair babe...... and a good eye for shape, colour and style..................you are quizzical, you want to know how it works, why it works and if it doesn't work the reason for it.......... You don't take short cuts, you work pain stakingley through application problems......I have never seen you look happier than when you are talking nails xxxx

This is what makes a great Technician.....whether it is man, boy, woman or girl .......You have to have that passion and that drive for your chosen profession..

I love Male Technicians, but it takes a special breed of man to become a great Technician................one that puts his love for his art first, one that then will endeavor, to be the best there is, a man that can sit and listen and I mean truly listen...one that wants us ladies to look just knock out.... and has bags of talent too.........oh and the most important one, has the patients of a saint, when a client just can't make up her mind what colour or style to choose...........

There are not that many, but the ones that are there make this industry a better place......and I admire them all....
but Gigi is right LOL , we still out number them lol.............

Jaydee said:
Speaking for myself and my shovelled sized hands, I wasn't blessed with natural talent (natural beauty yes.....natural talent no..lol).
David.x

PMSL!!!! David you are a star and your nails are fantastic!! :hug:

Thanks for your kind words girls.....just like zpococks hubbie, I practise every spare minute I get and if I'm not practising I am thinking about application and getting a better understanding of how to tweak up on skills that will make life that bit easier....lol

David.x

Latest posts

Back