Izettle

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah I see, that's good to know, I think I'm gonna go for it, only down side is the initial £60 but im hoping it'll be worth it!
Sorry I missed this :( yes the reader is mobile connects to your phone via bluetooth , it comes with a lead to charge up from usb.
I had to re-install the izettle app to get it to see the new reader

I decided that a one off charge for reader was going to be the best card solution for me when just starting out and not having a clue how much I may end up taking in card payments.

Last edited:
Sorry I missed this :( yes the reader is mobile connects to your phone via bluetooth , it comes with a lead to charge up from usb.
I had to re-install the izettle app to get it to see the new reader

I decided that a one off charge for reader was going to be the best card solution for me when just starting out and not having a clue how much I may end up taking in card payments.

I've ordered the chip and pin after reading an article about the card reader's not meeting with certain regulations. Haven't even used the system yet as ordered reader but not come yet, but have now paid the £60 for the chip and pin. Don't want to risk compromising on client's card details. Article was here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=127671 and the important bit is:

iZettle and SumUp claim to be EMV compliant and to use the chips in cards. At first this sounds right, the readers are much bigger and you insert your card into them as you would with a regular reader. But in fact they don't do EMV properly. If you dig in, you'll find that these systems expected users to authenticate transactions with signatures drawn on the screen using their finger, not by typing in their PIN numbers. Both services tell their users to check that the signature matches that on the card manually.

The EMV standard allows for fallbacks to signature authentication. It's designed for rare cases where the chip or reader has broken. Merchants that seem to systematically be doing signature authentications get flagged and told to fix their readers, users whose cards are systematically failing get given new ones.

By deliberately and systematically using signature verification, these companies were playing with fire. And as you might expect, Visa Europe revoked iZettle.

Because there's no way for their reader devices to do PIN authenticated payments, both companies have come up with a cumbersome workaround for Visa cards. When paying, you have to type your phone number into the sellers device, receive an SMS with a URL in it, and then go ahead and type your card number into the web form that loads. In effect, you're simply doing an online payment. You won't find any mention of this in their marketing materials, no surprise.

I think it goes without saying that any "solution" that converts card-present transactions into simply filling out your card details on an online form is a non-starter, not only because it's so inconvenient but also because you lose the shielding from payment fraud that PIN authenticated card-present transactions give you.

Last edited:
I've ordered the chip and pin after reading an article about the card reader's not meeting with certain regulations. Haven't even used the system yet as ordered reader but not come yet, but have now paid the £60 for the chip and pin. Don't want to risk compromising on client's card details. Article was here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=127671 and the important bit is:

iZettle and SumUp claim to be EMV compliant and to use the chips in cards. At first this sounds right, the readers are much bigger and you insert your card into them as you would with a regular reader. But in fact they don't do EMV properly. If you dig in, you'll find that these systems expected users to authenticate transactions with signatures drawn on the screen using their finger, not by typing in their PIN numbers. Both services tell their users to check that the signature matches that on the card manually.

The EMV standard allows for fallbacks to signature authentication. It's designed for rare cases where the chip or reader has broken. Merchants that seem to systematically be doing signature authentications get flagged and told to fix their readers, users whose cards are systematically failing get given new ones.

By deliberately and systematically using signature verification, these companies were playing with fire. And as you might expect, Visa Europe revoked iZettle.

Because there's no way for their reader devices to do PIN authenticated payments, both companies have come up with a cumbersome workaround for Visa cards. When paying, you have to type your phone number into the sellers device, receive an SMS with a URL in it, and then go ahead and type your card number into the web form that loads. In effect, you're simply doing an online payment. You won't find any mention of this in their marketing materials, no surprise.

I think it goes without saying that any "solution" that converts card-present transactions into simply filling out your card details on an online form is a non-starter, not only because it's so inconvenient but also because you lose the shielding from payment fraud that PIN authenticated card-present transactions give you.
Yes this article and other things I had read was the reason I held off getting the original reader and waited to get the chip & pin

So what's the consensus on izettle? (Too many replies to go through!!)

I think Paypal are releasing something similar soon.

So does this only apply to the original card reader and not the new chip and pin reader?

Will look out for the PayPal one too though!

Hi Laura1201

Yes this was the prob with the original reader , I have the new chip and pin and Visa goes straight through now no faffing about :)

Hi Laura1201

Yes this was the prob with the original reader , I have the new chip and pin and Visa goes straight through now no faffing about :)
GOOD! I can't wait! Had a visa client today who gave me a non Visa card to pay with once she found out her payment was going to be done via a URL. I don't blame her either! Roll on my chip & pin, hope it gets delivered soon!

So Just to confirm then, before I order a chip and pin reader, these are ok to use and no faffing like the signature style reader in which the client is sent a URL to complete payment?

So Just to confirm then, before I order a chip and pin reader, these are ok to use and no faffing like the signature style reader in which the client is sent a URL to complete payment?
Hi

yes I have done a few Visa now it goes straight through as the rest :)

Hi

yes I have done a few Visa now it goes straight through as the rest :)

Ah thats so brilliant thanks. Definitely think its worth getting. How long do you find the money takes to get into your account?

Ah thats so brilliant thanks. Definitely think its worth getting. How long do you find the money takes to get into your account?
Hi
Just checked my last Visa took 8 days to be paid in :)

hope this helps

Holy crap!

8 days! They are taking the proverbial with that!

Ask yourself what they're doing for EIGHT days with YOUR money!

Holy crap!

Yup I know but I'm just starting back out doing mobile after a long time out and 99% of my business is cash atm so I didn't want to pay a monthly fee or sign a contract until I had time to gauge how card payments were going to go for me , this serves me well for the time being.

Holy crap!

It can take me longer than 8 days to get to the back to pay cash in when client's pay me with cash so think I can live with it. 7 days is the norm with izettle.

Hi guys,

I still haven't yet received my Izettle reader and it's over 5 weeks now! Although I've finally had the DHL email to say it's been dispatched. Is everyone getting on ok?

I just heard the chip and pin reader has gone up to £120- is that true does anyone know? If so, glad I ordered when I did! xx

Absolutely LOVE the new chip & pin reader!! It's so much better then the one I had before and my clients seem so much more reassured now without having to enter details via a link! So pleased I bought it and if it has gone up in price then I'm even more pleased I got it when I did!! Also, love the overview that izettle does for you when you log in online on your computer! Will make my accounts alot easier! X

Has anyone gone from a Streamline/Cardsave reader to the android/iphone readers for a salon?

Absolutely LOVE the new chip & pin reader!! It's so much better then the one I had before and my clients seem so much more reassured now without having to enter details via a link! So pleased I bought it and if it has gone up in price then I'm even more pleased I got it when I did!! Also, love the overview that izettle does for you when you log in online on your computer! Will make my accounts alot easier! X
It's fantastic I am in the process of cancelling my mobile terminal from cardsave/streamline ;)

After reading through ive been persuaded! The fees I was given for a card merchant weren't justifiable at this stage in business!

I'm just wondering how you go about accounting with the izettle? Do you get statements to show the amount they take?

Thanks
Jade

Can anyone just confirm for me, I have iPhone 4S and getting an ipad soon - is the chip and pin reader compatible with this?

Also I have a personal account not a business account - is this ok?

I've confused myself reading all the info...doesn't take much ha! Xx

Latest posts

Back