Just qualified, now what?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debs2017

Reaction score
Hi guys
I did a hair extension course yesterday in fusion micro and nano beads and wondering what my next move should be? None of my friends or fam want extensions really and I can't afford a full head of hair atm to practice on anyone with, I'm practicing on my model head but I didn't really get a lot of hair to practice with, I'm nervous about advertising for models because I haven't got a colour ring yet so I would be "guessing" at a colour match which obviously wont be good enough for the client,
I was hoping to practice on friends and take them out but again I can't afford the £100 plus for the hair!
How did you guys start off when you qualified in hair extensions? Any pearls of wisdom you can pass on?
Thanks In advance

What made you do the course?

Did you do any kind of planning before you decided to invest in a course? For example, did you sit down, research the costs of materials needed to do the job and how you will market yourself? Costs involved in marketing, insurance etc?

Last edited:
Did you do any for of planning before you decided to invest in a course? For example, did you sit down, research the costs of materials needed to do the job and how you will market yourself? Costs involved in marketing, insurance etc?

EXACTLY!

You'll need insurance, definitely need a colour ring, and to advertise a lot to get yourself going. It's a very competitive market because so many people do these courses and work cheap. Good luck advertising. Just remember you'll need a colour ring for your chosen brand of hair, insurance (lots of tricky clients I'm afraid) and advertising! :)

Hi thanks for your replies,
I did the course because I've got a genuine passion for hair and absolutely love hair extensions plus there's good money to be made, I researched everything I possibly could and know how much the insurance and materials cost etc and thought I would build bit by bit, in the course description it said hair would be included in the kit along with everything you need to get started but there's only a few strands of hair and nano beads but no micro beads, so I was disappointed and for some strange reason I didn't think I'd need to buy hair I'm not even sure why lol
I've got ideas for advertising and what not but I just don't feel confident doing a human haid, the course skipped a good few corners so I'm thinking along the lines of practicing before I start a business, I've advertised for models on my social media I've had no interest, I think I'm probably just gonna have to buy cheap synthetic hair to play with and try and build a business when I'm confident, the more I think about it the more I think the course was abit crap

I think the best thing to do is buy a manequin head!
You'll get there in then end it takes time!
The course doesn't sound very reputable!

Mannequin head to build confidence and then advertise for models, they pay the cost of the hair and the fitting is free until your confident enough to charge full price :)

Thanks JJH I also think that's the best plan, I've got a manaquin head I just wanted to practice a full head without forking out but looks like I'll have to, it was Oakley that I trained with that had amazing reviews but only did 3 rows of bonds one row of micro and one row of nanos, I think the fusions are the hardest anyway Ive ordered some cheap hair on eBay and see how I get on with that

Yeah unfortunately with training courses you never know till your actually there. Good luck :) hope everything goes well :)

This is so true! Without a certificate though you can't get insured, hopefully tomorrow will be a better day and I can think more clearly, thanks Hun and to all others that replied Xx

You can try advertise for models on gumtree, it's free

Hiya,

I just thought I would post to say that you can buy "training hair" from some suppliers like studio58.. it's heat resistant synthetic hair but for training it's ideal as it a lot cheaper?

Also, my own insurance cost me £39 for the year and whilst searching for that quote I did come across companies that are more expensive (£100+) but you can pay monthly and the repayments were pretty low.

Facebook is pretty good for advertising as you can pay about $2 and get more views on specific posts until you're able to spend loads of money, Shpock is free too

Hope some of this is helpful Xx

I'm going on that one nx week. Everyone has raved about it, your the first negative comment on them. I hope there as good as everyone says [emoji16][emoji16]

Latest posts

Back