Laptop recommendations

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinknsparkly

Reaction score
So my laptop finally died and need a new one desperately but am a little overwhelmed by choice so what would you recommend??

I will be using it for doing salon advertising, social media, making leaflets etc, storing photos and using it to complete the rest of my Award in Education.

Don't want something too flashy but equally not something that's a load of rubbish.

I had a sony vaio so was just going to get one again buy it seems they don't make them any more....

All suggestions appreciated, thanks in advance.

Lenovo seems to be a popular brand. They make a wide range to suit various budgets.
Make sure you buy a decent size hard drive.

I used to have a Sony vaio and when it died in 2011, I replaced it with a MacBook Air.
However, I'm currently looking at getting a basic laptop for my son to use and I've been looking at a Lenovo Thinkpad.

I wouldn't be without my MacBook Pro, best thing I ever bought. I am on it quite a lot and it's so fast and easy to use and stores a lot. Couldn't go back to a windows laptop now as I find them really difficult to use after having a mac and also really slow compared to mine. It's great for a business, can edit photos on it really easily, manage a website, make videos etc etc. I used to have a dell but it only lasted about 3 years and was prone to getting viruses.

Macbook Pro will last you for the next 5 years easy. Worthwhile investment. As the new model is out (which is super expensive) Currys/PC world is selling off the old model (nothing wrong with it, still fantastic bit of kit) for a reduced price.

Hmmm...well I'm a Dell guy, they've got amazing customer support, easy to use laptops, and offer great deals.

Opps didn't mean for that last comment. Thanks for all your thoughts. To the people who have recommended Mac- how easy is it to adapt as I have always used windows and Microsoft office so nervous of changing especially as I'm not an iPhone fan.

Opps didn't mean for that last comment. Thanks for all your thoughts. To the people who have recommended Mac- how easy is it to adapt as I have always used windows and Microsoft office so nervous of changing especially as I'm not an iPhone fan.
I'd recommend going into an Apple store and just spend some time playing around with one. Speak to one of the staff about your concerns. They tend to be non-pushy as I don't believe they're on commission or anything like that.

I went over to a MacBook Pro a couple of years ago, and won't ever be going back to PC. They're a dream to use, and it's running just as quick today as the day I got it.

I always used windows and microsoft office and I adapted really quickly, dare I say over night! I'm quite good with computers but to be honest that didn't make a difference because everything on a mac is so simple. You can get Microsoft office for mac but I never bothered because I found apple's version so so so so much less complicated and easy to work with. I hate microsoft word now!

Mines also running as quick as when I got it and I have thousands of photos and videos and movies and documents on it. I agree about going into an apple shop. When I bought mine the guy was so friendly and helpful he ended up sitting there with me for about an hour and set it all up for me and showed me how to use it. He also offered for me to attend their macbook classes, I didn't need to go but they're a good idea if you're finding it complicated :)

Thanks everyone I really need it before Xmas but just cannot face going to an Apple store before Xmas with a new baby and 2 toddlers lol. Given me something to think about though so for the price going to order a leenovo laptop online some really good deals for black friday and then look at possibly getting a Mac in the new year as I like the idea of lasting power no viruses etc.. but for the price I want to obviously be sure it's what I want and that means going to the store.

Got for a laptop with a high resolution screen. Apple is best. I use a MacBook air

Just as a heads up - if you do decide to get a Mac*, it is definitely worth seeing if your Award in Education would entitle you to an Apple Education discount (google it). I've used it in the past and they were very chilled about what exactly constituted someone in education.

*I very much recommend that you do, I bought a Macbook in 2008 and it's still going strong. So even though I paid more at the time, my disapproving Mum has gone through about three laptops since then and so paid out more than me in the long run...

Latest posts

Back