Lash and brow tint - patch testing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I contacted them again yesterday as I didn't get a response as to whether RefectoCil Sensitive required testing each time, and just had this in my inbox (I did also drop in that potentially thousands of therapists in the UK would just stop using their products if we didn't feel we had enough legal protection):

"we recommend to do the patch test in advance to avoid any allergy issues after tinting. We now have become aware that this could be a challenge for the salons.

So what we are doing is to get in contact with our UK-partner and a legal advisor looking for a solution that fits for all parties.

Thank you for your understanding that this will take some time. We are going to report back asap."

I did respond and gave a link to TricoCare the manufacturers of the Colour Start testing patch, I hope they either can authorise the use of these or licence the product with their own brand. Either way we will know where this company stands soon. The reply did get an out of office response with return on the 26th though, so won't hold my breath. But nice to know someone is actually looking at it and not like other companies just leaving us to deal with it. In the meantime, remember to patch test every time, with every brand![/QUOTEts brilliant thank you for resuming it

That's interesting, thank you for persuing it. Of course once the manufacturer makes a decision we then have to find out what the insurers do also. Ultimately it rests in their hands.

Please let us know when you hear further.

I do have my doubts with patch testing as the skin on your ear or wherever is not the same as your brows and same with waxing patch testing (which i do) but I have had one client who has been having tinting for ages and not ever a problem I did her lashes and brows and all a sudden out the blue she had a reaction with lash tinting.
Sent her to doc and was put down to just her body didn't like tinting anymore she also funny enough started reacting to having her hair done! Poor lady had to stop all form of tinting even peroxide free versions!
So the theory of patch test falls flat right there using my one example (I been doing this for over 10 years now and only had one person ever) unless you test each and every time so in less then a month something happened and changed for this lady and she couldn't tolerate tinting anymore.

I wonder what insurance would say about that case !

As a mobile therapist this would be a nightmare for me...I redo a patch test if the client has not had a tint in the last 6 months. You can have a reaction to something at any time so even a patch test is unreliable...

Hairdressers patch test every single treatment? Even if the exact same colour is used as last time?
Mine doesn't!
Iv never been patched tested in my whole life for hair & only once for lashes/ brows & that was when I was in training at college! It doesn't seem to be common practise where I am from... this info on here is so helpful though. X

I enquired to Apraise about patch testing and this is what they replied with -

'Hi Hayley

We recommend that you patch test before they use the product for the first time not every time they come. WE do not supply patch test kits.

Regards

Wendy'

Latest posts

Back