Lash tint faded in a week

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
Did a lash lift & tint last week, used refectocil to tint lashes

She came back for nails today and the tint had all but vanished. (I re tinted obv at no charge)

What could cause that? She said she does rub her eyes quite a bit. She doesn't wear make up.

It definitely took as I took her "after" pic and it's really dark.

I've checked with others I did last week (as im a bit neurotic lol) and everybody is happy and lashes still perfect.

Any ideas please x

I find my own eyelash and eyebrow tints fade very quickly and wondered if it's the Decleor oils I use...

Mine fade quite quickly and I use an Elemis oil based cleanser so Ciderella may have a point

Thanks I'll check what she uses.

Could rubbing make them fade?

Is she a swimmer or does she use sun beds? These too can make the tint fade quicker. I'm not sure that rubbing will make any difference though.

Neither of those pickle pie. Such a puzzle.

Am I right in thinking if the lashes were dark after the treatment then the tint "took" ok? Glad I took an after photo as they look very dark in that.

I would say so. How long do you leave the tint on for? And what colour do you use? I was taught to use blue black on lashes and time for 15 minutes although RefectoCil say between 5-10 minutes for blue black. What colour are you using? If it's pure black, I would change to blue black as this gives a richer finish in my opinion.

Thank you.
I use refectocil and on my course we were told 8-10 mins, they seemed average decent "virgin" lashes so I went for 9 minutes but used natural Brown as the client specifically requested not black and Def not blue black as she had fair lashes and never even wears mascara normally so wanted something very very natural looking

does brown fade quicker I wonder? I'll re-do with black or blue black if necessary as she's a treasured nail client and has been for years so really want to get it right for her.

If this is the case I would mix natural brown with black and see how you find this rather than scare the life out of her with the blue black [emoji33]

Lol yes fantastic idea! Thank you

Just to update, I re-tinted in brown/blk mix and a few days later it had all but gone. [emoji15]

Have today tinted in blue black so fingers crossed ... She says she doesn't use any cleansers at all so can't be that.

I had another very blonde client whose lashes have faded after a week ... She said she doesn't care, it was the lift she wanted and always wears mascara but is it usual to find a few random people a tint just won't stay on for long?

I do the same with everyone and everybody else's lashes are still really dark, I sent a few courtesy messages out (figured I could get away with that as I've only just started doing lash lifts/tints) and was reassured by the results. Any advice? x

I've only known it to happen when the peroxide has been open a while but not for the lashes to go back completely after just a few days. Most wear mascara regularly so may not be aware if it does fade, especially those that are particularly fair. I'm not trained in lash lifting, only tinting - do you think that it could be the lash lift that has caused the problem?

Also Blossom, has this proved a popular treatment for you? I can't have lash extensions due to having an allergic reaction and based on this would be concerned to offer it to others. Thought this may be a good alternative?

Speaking from a hairdressers view point.

When we perm - which is what you are doing with your lifts, we make the hair porous.
The solutions used are alkaline.

When tint is then applied, it will appear to take well on the day, as the porous hair will 'suck up' the pigment, like a sponge.
However, because of the porosity, the pigment will have difficulty remaining in the hair.....

Just as we find with our hairdressing clients, some heads are more easily affected by chemical treatments than others.

This would explain why not all of your clients have an issue.

I would expect those that are having the 'perm' lotion left on longer, are the ones you will have an issue with tint fade.
Perhaps you could advise these clients to have the tint applied a week later.:cool:

Pickle Pie thank you for that. I've only been doing lash lifts for a month and the peroxide has 6 months .... Plus lady in question was one of the first few I did! She never wears mascara or any make up hence has noticed it easily. But yes, massively popular, over 50% of my nail clients have had one [emoji4] as I told them about it first before offering to general public, and now a fair number of other bookings are coming in too, plus some recommendations

I would have thought it would be perfect for you so long as you are patch tested obv, the glue is very different to extensions as its just strong enough to keep the lashes on the shield for the treatment but weak enough to be released with an oily cotton bud so very different to lash extension adhesive
And wonderful results!
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1491036149.407550.jpg

Speaking from a hairdressers view point.

When we perm - which is what you are doing with your lifts, we make the hair porous.
The solutions used are alkaline.

When tint is then applied, it will appear to take well on the day, as the porous hair will 'suck up' the pigment, like a sponge.
However, because of the porosity, the pigment will have difficulty remaining in the hair.....

Just as we find with our hairdressing clients, some heads are more easily affected by chemical treatments than others.

This would explain why not all of your clients have an issue.

I would expect those that are having the 'perm' lotion left on longer, are the ones you will have an issue with tint fade.
Perhaps you could advise these clients to have the tint applied a week later.:cool:
Red star thank you for that post! Is there any way beforehand to tell which clients have hair which won't hold the tint so well? (Think I know the answer [emoji23])
I went through my records and they had no longer than others who've been fine and are still ok, so weird x

Wow they look amazing!

Hairs porosity varies from person to person.
Many factors can cause this.
what your client uses on her lashes.... The quality of mascara, for instance, the products she uses to remove her make up...heated lash curlers.....these could affect the condition of her lashes.
When timing your lash lifts, some might need 10 mins...another 12...15... In order to get the desired result.
But the longer you leave the product on...the more porous it will make the hair.....particularly if those lashes were already dehydrated!
Sell lash treatments for your clients to use between appointment - just as us hairdressers advise our colour clients to purchase home care, who have problems with fade.

Last edited:
Thank you.

So the shortest effective time to do a lift will result in a tint that lasts longer? Have I grasped that?

The only thing there is to sell is the nourishing oil (only to be used after 48 hours)

Latest posts

Back