Latex Sensitivity

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oceana

Reaction score
Hi All,
I have a client who works in the medical field so therefore wears latex gloves on a regular basis.
She has been having problems with irritated,red,raised patches on the backs of her hands and wrists due to prolonged use of protective gloves.
I have advised her to switch to nitrile or vinyl gloves and use a barrier cream and wash her hands regularly, as she cant use barrier cream as could degrade the latex.
I was wondering if anyone has experience of this problem and what else can be done about it?
Thanks

Clare

I used to be a Nurse before I went into the Beauty Industry. This problem is really common and cause breathing problems as well as rashes on the hands. Even after prolonged periods of not wearing the glovees you can still get flairs up of contact dermatitis. Now for waxing and things I wear non powdered gloves which I have had no problems with at all, Most hospitals should be providing these, but they don't because they say it's costly. The only thing that I can suggest because of the problem being a bad case is for the her to go and visit a Dermotologist and they will be able to deal with the problem, because normal everyday creams will just aggrevate the skin, or she could go and see her Occupation health. Most nurses end up not wearing them and end up open to cross infection or worse and some carry on and end up with some serious health problems such as Occupational Asthma which is brought on by the inhaling of the powder from the gloves.

Dawn

Oceana said:
Hi All,
I have a client who works in the medical field so therefore wears latex gloves on a regular basis.
She has been having problems with irritated,red,raised patches on the backs of her hands and wrists due to prolonged use of protective gloves.
I have advised her to switch to nitrile or vinyl gloves and use a barrier cream and wash her hands regularly, as she cant use barrier cream as could degrade the latex.
I was wondering if anyone has experience of this problem and what else can be done about it?
Thanks

Clare

Have her try Nitrile. Latext is a very very bad choice for glove material as it is a high sensitizer.

Hope this helps!

Thanks chickens! I will call her tomorrow
x

PS she is going to Cambridge Med School in Sept....how exciting??!!!

My daughter has developed a severe latex allergy from prologed contact, she has had a few major ops when she was a baby and as the years have gone by and she has come into contact with latex, it has gone worse, dentist's gloves etc now she can't go into a room where there has been balloons, all her friends look through the windows before she enters a party just to check, it's an awful problem and now she wears and id tag and carries adrenilin pens as it can be fatal. there is a latex support group on the internet where you can find out as much information as needed, because if the lady has started to react she needs to investigate further and use prevention as its one of those allergies the more you come into contact the worse it gets and then there's no going back. Sweet wrappers are sealed with latex and its unbelievable how many products have latex in them, carpets, furniture bedding, matresses etc, and even marks & sparks sell latex free underwear. hope this helps as one knows of the problem 1st hand.

regards

Sharnie

Latest posts

Back