Living next door to parents good or bad idea?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
id love to live next door to my mum..i would only have to walk through the gate to be home..lol

my mums house is the main centre base where all our family meet and we are all there everyday for most of the day anyway..it would be ace!

aside from that if your situation requires you to have the house take it!!!
regardless of who lives next door..it could be worse and have idiots living next door with music etc playing all night..jmo xx

hope everything worrks out for you x

I live just over the road from my mum and dad, and its great, if u run out of suger and ur depserate for a brew and the shops are shut then pop over to mummys and borrow a cup, lol

No really its ok, we hardly see each other even though we only live over the road from each other, when we lived further apart we saw more of each other cos we made an effort to go to each others houses to visit but now its just as we comin in and out a quick hello or if one of us is bored we go for a brew its dead handy. i love it. plus my dad is a mad gardener and i havent got a clue, so every now and then i come home from work and there is a new plant in the garden, its great lol.

:)Moved in with the parents yesterday, all a bit hectic trying to settle the kids, we're pitching it as a long holiday for them which they are fine with.
My Dad and stepmum work most days and they're social life is about 5 times as active as ours so fingers crossed we won't wind up invading each others space, think we're going to go for the house next door, will know for sure by the end of the week.
Just bought a dvd player for our room so we can escape when we need to of an evening rather than hearing......'lets switch off the telly and have a chat' :eek: :lol:
Thanks for all the well wishing, i'm not mad yet, we'll see if thats still the case this time next week!!:lol:

well i must be REALLY ODD cause i would !

In fact if i could find a house suitable for all of us to live in i'd do it !

But...my mum is on her own - not sure if this is why i feel different? / protective?

Amber I would live with your mum..she's a blast !!!....couldnt life with mine though...:eek:

hi i just found this link ........and i had to joint up because of the question that was ask.Living next door to parents good or bad , i must say some parents are great to be near by for the frist few days of marriage but that should be enough, but if you are thinking about living next to your in laws make sure that they really really love you and that your husband sets boundaries first and formost. i can share with you my big mistake i got married in 2000 and my husband and i build our house next to his mother and from that day on until right now i am being treated like a dog. she waits until my husband goes out and then she starts , and when my husband returns home she acts like if she was sweet to me all day(she is a great ACTOR).................to make a long story short at the time it seem like a great idea.....but i must warn you! no matter how good things may seem at first .. trust me it will ALL CHANGE and you will be the one that will get hurt the most......my experience may not be your experience.....but...please i beg you do not move near your inlaws. you will have regreats that you will not be able to change. the stress is out of this world.YOU WILL NOT HAVE CONTROL OF YOUR LIVES DON'T DO IT, IT SOUNDS GOOD BUT PLEASE DO NOT DO IT YOU WILL BE SORRY.

Great idea! there is 1 house between my mom and us, its great!! The house came up for sale just after we had our 2nd child and was looking for a bigger house anyway! It was ment to be!! :) people do ask if my hubby likes to live near his in-laws! but he doesnt mind!

Last edited:
BAD BAD BAD IDEA

DON'T DO IT

My pals in-laws moved into a house about 8 along from theirs and it is a nightmare, before that when they lived in the next town they got on fine but her mother and father-in-law are at her house ALL THE TIME, even when she is out - her hubs gave them a key. She has told her husband that she wants to move NOW.:mad:

I would live next door to my parents in a jiffy, but my mother-in-law is a different thing. Bless her, she treats her lads like they are little kids, and no one and nothing you do is good enough for her lads.
As much as i love her she drives me crazy, my husband is 54 and the baby, but the eldest is the fave child of hers..HOW as a mother do you fave one of your kids to the other? surely you would love all your kids the same but in different ways, addapt to their own personality's...Correct me if i'm wrong as I have no kids of my own.

Good Luck

Jenx

I would so live next door to my mum. Im at her house everyday anyway lol. My mum/family are not the type of people that would be nosey of everything we did and we are such a close bunch. Id have a gate put in the fence in the back garden so the kids could go in and out as they pleased lol.

You need to set boundaries but I so wish my parents lived even near me - they are about 300 miles away!

I think for me its because I work in A&E currently that I see a lot of loss and I am very much of the mindset now that no matter what your family are like you just never know when the inevitable will happen so make the most of everyday with them x

My parents are in Essex and my husbands are in Caithness, quite close enough for both of them, thank you very much.

Ok guys this is an old thread. I think its a bit late to be giving advice!

Latest posts

Back