Losing friends over business-jealous?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailedit00

Reaction score
Hello I was wondering if any body has lost any friends after starting their own business? Or maybe realised who their true friends are? I have recently found out one of my very good friends has been slagging me and my business off, then asking me to do her nails straight after! It has upset me a lot that she feels so negatively towards me for no reason, I shouldn't be surprised though because she has always been the opposite of supportive. This has made me feel quite down and I was wondering if it's common for people to turn nasty when you are working for yourself getting good money and doing something you love?

If your friend still has her nails done with you then she must still have a high regard for your work. If she didn't she would be making excuses and not rebooking.
Do you charge this friend for her nail treatments?

Perhaps question the source of this bad news- it might actually be them trying to wind you up and not your friend?

She acts like she is doing me a favour when I do them, I do charge her but she takes ages to transfer me the money I have to chase it up and I have done colour changes and repairs I have never had payment for. She doesn't look after them, we were having problems with her nails 'randomly falling off' which she seemed quite rude about then I paid close attention and she bites them and pics them so badly, I have said this will cause lifting but she said she said she isn't actually picking the nail but her cuticle, I can see she is picking the product :( I have been getting a negative vibe recently (not talking unless she wants something, putting me down about everything, disagreeing with everything I say for no reason) but I gave the benefit of the doubt it would blow over as theres nothing for her to be annoyed with me for I have been a very loyal friend. I told my close friend I was upset about what is happening, I said I think there's something wrong but maybe I'm being negative. She advised me to distance myself because it is clearly causing me stress as I am going through some bad hardships at the moment which the negative friend knows about and has offered no support. She only talks to me when she wants something or to slag someone off recently which I do not like. Next thing I know on the first day of my acrylic course after seeing my photos she messaged me asking when I can do her nails (acrylic) to get practice which means a cheap price, right after that my friend messaged me to say she's just seen the negative friend who said she can't be arsed to have her nails done by me anymore she is going to go somewhere else because they're always crap so and she won't let me practice on her. I do believe the friend who told me because she has always been a good friend and I do get a bad vibe recently her attitude towards me has turned awful suddenly and she takes digs all the time, the story adds up that she bumped into my negative friend and told her I will be offering acrylics cheap for practice and so she then asked me to do them. I just don't get why she is trying to get my friend who is a loyal client to think I'm crap? My friend said she did stick up for me at this point and that she is happy for me to tell her about it. That isn't what a good friend does! Not to mention the lack of support for me doing a new course :( I think she's jealous because she has now mentioned she wants to open a salon (something that looks quite realistic for me and I always talk about) and always has, yet I have never heard of any interest in ANY beauty therapy what so ever. The question for me is how to handle it, I don't want to make it awkward because we are in the same circle she is unavoidable. But I am hurt and I can't pretend that I'm not :(

With friends like these who needs enemies, eh? I would let this "friend" go.

My fiancé and I were talking about these types of people recently. I think the key to being happy is to focus on yourself and surround yourself with people who love you and make you feel happy and supported. Anyone else just isn't worth the wasted energy and the heartache.

Best of luck with your new venture x

With friends like these who needs enemies, eh? I would let this "friend" go.

My fiancé and I were talking about these types of people recently. I think the key to being happy is to focus on yourself and surround yourself with people who love you and make you feel happy and supported. Anyone else just isn't worth the wasted energy and the heartache.

Best of luck with your new venture x
I think you are right! I think I've just overlooked all of her bad qualities while she will so happily point out mine because I am kind natured person, it has hurt me that I have had no support at all from someone I thought was a close friend. I think she has impacted my confidence in nails and I think she enjoys seeing me doubt my self, I remember when I was doing my gel course and I knew I wasn't good because I had just started and needed practice she was never encouraging just negative and critical. I will try not to overlook things like this in the future as people like this are poisness! Thank you x

Good advice given above.

Just to add, I think I would issue a new rule (as advised by your business adviser blah blah) that from the New Year, all clients will need to pay full price in cash on the day of treatment.
This might get rid of your negative 'friend'...
I'm sure you have a bright future ahead of you, you obviously care about your clients and work standards.
Best wishes x

Good advice given above.

Just to add, I think I would issue a new rule (as advised by your business adviser blah blah) that from the New Year, all clients will need to pay full price in cash on the day of treatment.
This might get rid of your negative 'friend'...
I'm sure you have a bright future ahead of you, you obviously care about your clients and work standards.
Best wishes x
Thank you for your advice, I never have a problem with payments it's just this one friend because she's such a 'close friend' she pays by transfer, this won't be an issue anymore because I will never be doing her nails again seeing as I'm so crap ;) it is not a loss for me because doing her nails is more work for less money which I was willing to do for a good friend but seeing as that's not the case I won't be doing it when I have plenty of clients who pay with no issue and are appreciative of my hard work :) I feel a lot more positive after a rant and some advise so thank you, I was just very shocked and down when I initially heard xx

Good for you. Sometimes you just need to hear it from someone else x

Ive definitely experienced this but with another nail tech behaving like a bitch and my friends supporting her! It totally made me realise to keep the important people close and to keep myself and them priority. People are toxic. Get rid of her asap. Xxx

I have a relative like this, its not just you.

I think their unhappy with their lot but not motivated to change things.

Ive definitely experienced this but with another nail tech behaving like a bitch and my friends supporting her! It totally made me realise to keep the important people close and to keep myself and them priority. People are toxic. Get rid of her asap. Xxx
It is hurtful at the time isn't it! I was thinking of what I was going to say to her I was so upset but now I just think what's the point? I don't need to sort it out because I don't want her as a friend, if you have to explain to someone how to treat you right you do not need them in your life x

I have a relative like this, its not just you.

I think their unhappy with their lot but not motivated to change things.
I think that is what it is, sad really that they would rather bring you down then change what they're unhappy with like most of us have.. Putting work in taking the risk and doing something we love x

yep me ..my so called friend has dumped me ..no longer requires my makeup services.. she does her own crappy makeup herself on her clients... wasted alot of time and energy on promoting us on social media.. which she has no idea how to ..

im fuming but time to get thick skinned and re start business again in the new year.

Really sorry to hear about how your friend is treating you. You need people around you that are positive and supportive and encourage you not knock you down.
XX

She's jealous that you are getting on with your career and making a success of it, and she's not She's telling folk about her 'salon idea', so that if you go open a shop, she'll be able to say it was her idea.
She's mad, bad, and you don't need her.
Concentrate on you & your business. Good luck. X

Look I dont know how old you are but chances are you are nowhere near as old as me ;-)

So let me tell you a little of what knowledge I have gained over the years .

This behavior is HER problem not yours and as she is NOT your friend. Thats basically it in a nutshell. She sounds like she is jealous of what you are doing but trust me she is no friend of yours . There really is absolutely no point in giving this girl any more of your head space or getting stressed out trying to work out what she is thinking or why she is doing what she is . Like I said its her problem - Dont make it yours .

Just cut her out from your life completely . Don't get nasty , don't bitch and don't think about it . Just make a decision that you are done with her and move on . You will feel better for it . And if other 'friends' come to you saying she has said this or that just completely ignore it and tell them you dont want to hear about it

I think a lot of people are misunderstanding the meaning of the word 'friend ' . A friend does not do what she has done. I am pleased to say that all the good REAL friends I have are the ones I made when i was 14/15 and we are still all really close many!! years later . Not one of us has ever behaved to each other as she has

So like I said she is not and has never been a true friend and from this point just 'divorce ' yourself from her . You will feel happier for it
x

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back