Make your own decals (originally posted by Nailbomb)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Pan

Too sexy to be old geek
Premium Geek
Reaction score
Making Decals - what you need before you start

You need either:
Water decal paper & Acrylic varnish
OR
Dry rub off paper
(Both types are available for Inkjet Papers and Fabrics, Window Stickers and Other Arts and Craft Materials

You also need
Printer with a high DPI rate - preferably a photo qaualitytype
Photo editing and layout software
Sissors
Clear topcoat
Lots of patience

Importand point
Regardless of the type of paper you buy, remember that:~

• CLEAR decals are used for deorating light coloured nails
  • WHITE decals are used for decorating dark coloured nails. If you dont cut round the edges of a decal it will leave a white border!!
Stage 1 - create your decal
Photo editing
The first stage is to create your design or edit a photograph that you want to use.

use what photo editing software you find easiest or what you have available.

Load your choice of photo editing software

start by opening or even copying your picture into your software editing programme.
then remove the background around it until you are left with just the image. How you do this depends on your progra. Normally an eraser will do the trick.

crop the image down to remove all the background you dont need then save the picture as a .jpg file

OR

Create your own designs
Load your choice of photo editing software

open up a blank page to work on

use either the pen or brush tools to create your own designs

crop the image down to remove all the background yur dont need

then save your design as a .jpg file

Layout your decals
Now you need to find a program that will let you easily layout your designs. I used ADOBE ILLUSTRATOR. MICROSOFT PUBLISHER will work just as well or you could have a go in your photo editing software! AVOID MICROSOFT WORD

Load up your choice of software

start with a clear A4 page

try to switch on the rulers around the page, have them measure in CM or MM

Insert your photograph or design that you created earlier

Reduce the size of your design so it will fit in a 2cm long by 1.5cm wide area.

copy the image, paste it back on the page and line it up

Repeat this until you have 10 copies of your image

slightly reduce the size of your images as they go along the line - this ensures a design would fit on even the smallest of nails

then select the line of decals and group them together

copy the group and paste a new one underneath

fine the "reflect" or "mirror" tool and flip the new line, so the images now face the opposite direction. this insures your designs will look well on either hand

whatever you do, save your page now!!

Print your decals
the print process is different for both typs of decal paper

before you print onto your decal paper, print off a draft sheet of y our page. this way you can check the declas are the right sizes or edit them

Water slide decals
slide in the sheet of paper

print the page in a high quality setting - but dont change the printer settings regarding the type of paper. Leave it set as it is normal paper

onc printed leave to dry for at least 30 minutes

then you finish by spraying the paper with any type of acrylic varnish. its recommended to spray three thin coats of varnish to make sure that the ink is sealed onto the page

OR

Dry rub
slide in the transparent paper, making sure your page will be printed on the rougher side.

print the page in a high quality setting - but dont change the printer settings regarding the type of paper. Leave it set as it is normal paper

leave to dry for AT LEAST 1 hour

place the sticky paper page side up on a flat surface and carefully stick on the transparent sheet printed side down

work together and push out any air bubbles

Apply your decals

water slide decals
cut carefully around your decal - remember white decal paper will leave a border if you dont cut along the edges

drop your decal into a small bowl of water and leave for 30 seconds

pick the decal out of the water, slide off the backing and then slide the decal straight onto the nail

you have to work the decal flat, smoothing out wrinkles

once the nail is dry, coat the nails in a clear topcoat to seal and protec the design.

Dry rub decals
cut carfully around your decal-remember white decal paper will leave a border if you dont cut along the edges

peel of the white back paper and press sticky side to the nail

press firmly down then rub the transparent plastic sheet with an orange stick or your fingernail

peel off th e plastic transparent sheet

coat the nails in a clear topcoat to seal and protec the design.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the tutorial Glynis!

Now maybe i will do them properly.

xxxxxxx

Thanks you have given me more ideas to create with.

thanks for the tutorial no i can stop writing you

thanks for the tutorial no i can stop writing you

I found this website that has adhesive sheets in a kit with waterslide paper instead of using acrylic spray. Has anyone tried these?

They would probably be good for real nails ?(it says the adhesive is medical grade)? I guess the acrylic spray wouldn't hurt acrylic nails but it might not be good for real nails or children's nails. The kit has 4 waterslide sheets (5-1/2" x 8-1/2"), 4 adhesive sheets, and instructions. Here is the link:

http://www.paper-paper.com/fingernail-decals.html

But the site says they can't ship outside of the USA.:(

International Orders:
Effective January 1, 2005,
Micro Format can no longer ship orders for Imagination Gallery products outside of the USA.

big thank you glynis, this has help me this week just the thing I need for a nail art client xx

Cool idea. Gives that personal touch to nails. Thanks for sharing.

Latest posts

Back