Manicures on diabetics

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandman1

Reaction score
Hi Geeks wondered if anyone can give me any advice on doing a manicre on a diabetic person. I have my first diabetic client this week and unsure what I can and cant do for them as this is something I was never taught.
Can I use metal tools?
Can I cut the nails?
I believe massage should be lighter due to they bruise easier is that right?
Any info you can give me I would be gratefull.

Well firstly, they should sign a consent and release form.

I would recommend filing their nails with a file with VERY dull edges. Don't risk cutting. Then apply some cuticle oil and gently push back their cuticles with a birchwood stick. No scrub, soak or paraffin and noooo metal tools.

Lots of diabetics have their condition well controlled, however some do not. If you see their arms and hands and they have lots of injuries on them, that would indicate their diabetes is uncontrolled and/or severe. You should refuse treatment at that point.

Also, this is just from my personal experience with diabetic treatments and you should make sure your insurance covers you.

Treat her as you would any other client! I recently had a cleint thaat was diabetic and she was relieved to be treated norrmally when done a manicure for her. As in various places she had been refused a manicure or treated as if she had the plague. Use your tools careful as you should with any client and their shouldn't be any issues with cutting them being gentle when working on the cuticle as you would with any client. Your doing a manicure not major surgery.

My mums diabetic and as long as they have no loss of sensation you can do anything on them. Some are just more sensitive to things but they'll tell you if it's not right for them. I've used everything on mum and she's fine :) it depends entirely on the client and how well it is controlled x

DO NOT LISTEN TO THE ABOVE ADVICE.

Diabetics can have minor sensation loss even THEY don't notice, which can lead to big problems. Their skin is more fragile, they are prone to tears, bruising, bleeding, ulcers and infection, if you aren't cautious. Even something as tiny as leftover exfoliation granules can cause an ulcer.

I know what I'm talking about, as I used to do hand and foot care for the elderly. Just because you two have some sort of off-hand experience with one client doesn't mean you should be giving advice like that.

9 times out of 10, if you're careful, everything will be fine. They have diabetes, and they need to accept that. Don't risk your career, business and reputation. Err on the side of caution.

Last edited by a moderator:
why would you not do all those things with EVERY client. If you are working in a safe, professional way there is no need to treat clients differently regardless of what health issues they may have.

Oh lordy. Try actually reading what I wrote. If you seriously think that, you should NOT be a nail tech.

with that attitude should you?

Agree with eskimonailtech, no metal tools, cutting of cuticle etc.

There is no point in taking the risk!

Sent from my HTC Desire S using SalonGeek

Anyone actually have diabetes here themselves and received advice from a doctor not just a nail manual or trainer?

Also there are different types of diabetes. And most people with diabetes have accepted it!

Least of my worries is how my nails look. But i can still have a manicure. Pedicure.... Questionable. I advise a chiropodist only!

Sent from my GT-S5670 using SalonGeek

I think what I said was it depends on the client?! If they have a doctors note to say they are fine to treat then what's the problem?

I'm not understanding how a metal cuticle pusher, if used correctly, can do damage and cause an ulcer. Sorry if I'm being thick but I thought using tools and being careful came hand in hand with every treatment you do.

Mild diabetes is not contra indicated anyway, you adapt your treatment to suit the client and if this isn't possible then you refuse the treatment.

That's like saying advanced epilation is contra indicated for diabetics, Which it isn't, they just heal slower so you have to have longer between treatments and you can only do it if it's been advised safe by a doctor.

Sorry but it really does depend on the client, you can't say just because they're diabetic I'm not touching them even though the doctor says it's fine.

Anyone actually have diabetes here themselves and received advice from a doctor not just a nail manual or trainer?

Also there are different types of diabetes. And most people with diabetes have accepted it!

Least of my worries is how my nails look. But i can still have a manicure. Pedicure.... Questionable. I advise a chiropodist only!

The problem is that when a client is coming for a treatment you have no way of knowing the type, condition etc of the diabetes, So it is best to advise erring on the side of caution imo. However if you are experienced in the condition, the person you are working on etc the do as you feel comfortable. But I am guessing the op is not so hence the advice x

Sent from my HTC Desire S using SalonGeek

Don't use metal tools and NEVER use cuticle nippers!

Don't do a firm massage!

Do cut nails (as nails are dead and this shouldn't cause a problem)

I was taught to not do anything that could risk nipping or cutting the skin! If you make them bleed this can be dangerous as there body won't heel like yours and mine and they are open to more infection within the cut etc!

Do a gentle manicure and be careful!

(as for scrub and p wax I am not sure, sorry)
X

Don't use metal tools and NEVER use cuticle nippers!

Don't do a firm massage!

Do cut nails (as nails are dead and this shouldn't cause a problem)

I was taught to not do anything that could risk nipping or cutting the skin! If you make them bleed this can be dangerous as there body won't heel like yours and mine and they are open to more infection within the cut etc!

Do a gentle manicure and be careful!

(as for scrub and p wax I am not sure, sorry)
X

I was taught not t do P.WAX on a client due t lose of tactile sensation in their hands and feet.

I wouldnt risk it incase you burn your client

Sent from my GT-I5801 using SalonGeek

completley agree with eskimonailtech! this is what I was taught on my mani/pedi course and definatley be cautious, you can still offer the treatment though! xx

completley agree with eskimonailtech! this is what I was taught on my mani/pedi course and definatley be cautious, you can still offer the treatment though! xx

Yep, I agree with this on the whole. You must be extra cautious and don't do anything that MAY cause a problem, e.g. no nippers (just like Eskimonailtech says in fact)

The poster who has had a client that likes to be treated like anyone else, well, that clients experience is the fault of their previous technician! You CANNOT go ahead as usual. A diabetic needs an adapted manicure but there is no need to make her feel like a freak! Other than mentioning during the consultation that you will adjust your service accordingly, there is no need to go on about it. If a diabetic client asks you to do something that you are not comfortable with then just say no with a brief explanation

Diabetes is potentially a life threatening condition and the are differenttypes and different severity levels. Some people have it well under control and others don't. A simple mistake made during a manicure can cause an enormous problem for the client but there is no need to completely avoid manicures.

Wanted to just comment from the view of someone with a diabetic partner. I do my hubby's nails but am always cautious despite knowing his illness inside out as I am his main carer. I would agree to err on the side of caution.

I would however say that the comments made about people reconsidering their career choice because of their training and views on diabetic clients was way out of line. Eskimo - you seem to be very agressive in your replies and very abrupt. Yes, people are thick skinned and know to read carefully before taking offence but your replies don't really leave much choice in most cases :( You really should think about being nicer to people hun as you are taken the wrong way by people :( xx

DO NOT LISTEN TO THE ABOVE ADVICE.

Diabetics can have minor sensation loss even THEY don't notice, which can lead to big problems. Their skin is more fragile, they are prone to tears, bruising, bleeding, ulcers and infection, if you aren't cautious. Even something as tiny as leftover exfoliation granules can cause an ulcer.

I know what I'm talking about, as I used to do hand and foot care for the elderly. Just because you two have some sort of off-hand experience with one client doesn't mean you should be giving advice like that.

9 times out of 10, if you're careful, everything will be fine. They have diabetes, and they need to accept that. Don't risk your career, business and reputation. Err on the side of caution.

Hi

Not sure what your problem is, but your comment about "they have diabetes and they need to accept that" i think is neither here nor there.

The discussuion isn't about weather someone accepts their medical condition or not is's about performing a safe and enjoyable treatment.

I am a diabetic and i regularly get my nails done and as long as the person doing the treatment is properly trained everything is fine. Act with caution yes but you would for anyone else.

What about clients that are taking Asprin to help thin their blood, these people would probably be at an either greater risk if you were to cut them, as stopping the blood flow is a nightmare, and i know what i'm talking about as i used to be a student nurse and worked as a healthcare assitant at the hospital.

As for the easy bruising, skintearing etc these are problems more associated with the elderly, as you said you use to work on elderly hands and feet.

As diabetics are both young and old, these problems cannot be specifically target as diabetic problems. What is a problem is infection so as long as all proper precautions are taken with the maintenance and hygeine of the tools and work area, everything should be fine.

charliek71 this is the point i was trying to make. we should give all our clients extra care and attention not just those who have a health problem. there may be steps your miss from manicures for a variety of reasons, you do what suits that clients needs. it annoys me on this forum that everything turns into a bitch fest at times and you almost cant have your say or give your point of you. we are all "supposed" to be professionals who deal and speak to a varity of people on a daily basis yet some of us cant respond to a post (regardless of wither you think its correct info or not) without making unnecessary or bitchy comments.

Hi

Not sure what your problem is, but your comment about "they have diabetes and they need to accept that" i think is neither here nor there.

The discussuion isn't about weather someone accepts their medical condition or not is's about performing a safe and enjoyable treatment.

I am a diabetic and i regularly get my nails done and as long as the person doing the treatment is properly trained everything is fine. Act with caution yes but you would for anyone else.

What about clients that are taking Asprin to help thin their blood, these people would probably be at an either greater risk if you were to cut them, as stopping the blood flow is a nightmare, and i know what i'm talking about as i used to be a student nurse and worked as a healthcare assitant at the hospital.

As for the easy bruising, skintearing etc these are problems more associated with the elderly, as you said you use to work on elderly hands and feet.

As diabetics are both young and old, these problems cannot be specifically target as diabetic problems. What is a problem is infection so as long as all proper precautions are taken with the maintenance and hygeine of the tools and work area, everything should be fine.

Well being a type1 diabetic therapist, i have to say the whole conversation makes me so angry:mad:. And i had to agree with charlie's advise. UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT, KEEP YOU BAD ADVISE TO YOURSELF

Latest posts

Back