Manicures on diabetics

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you geeks for all your advice. I understand about not cutting cuticles but I never cut cuticles anyway.
Is the reason you cant use metal tools because you may bruise them?
Can I trip some lenght of her nails with nail clippers?

Genuine question here, why is it that you can't use a metal pusher? I can completely understand not using nippers etc but a pusher used properly? My husband is type 1, but has his well controlled and doesn't seem to know the answer to this either. I've used a rubber tip pusher up to now with diabetics.

x

Thank you geeks for all your advice. I understand about not cutting cuticles but I never cut cuticles anyway.

I think that it is advised for metal tools not too be used as awarding bodies (assuming you have just come from college) must always err on caution as a newbie nail tech is more likely to slip, make a mistake etc.

Personally I don't use nail clippers on any clients as I feel it causes trauma to the nail.

I agree with the 'bitch fest' comment. It is such a shame as it can put people off asking advice or posting replies. This site is has been a god send too me and I'm sure it is to others ! X

Sent from my HTC Desire S using SalonGeek

This whole thread makes me really lose my faith in any sort of professionalism in this industry. I'll address all of you this once, and then let you carry on your merry way.

with that attitude should you?

huh?

I think what I said was it depends on the client?! If they have a doctors note to say they are fine to treat then what's the problem?

I'm not understanding how a metal cuticle pusher, if used correctly, can do damage and cause an ulcer. Sorry if I'm being thick but I thought using tools and being careful came hand in hand with every treatment you do.

Mild diabetes is not contra indicated anyway, you adapt your treatment to suit the client and if this isn't possible then you refuse the treatment.

That's like saying advanced epilation is contra indicated for diabetics, Which it isn't, they just heal slower so you have to have longer between treatments and you can only do it if it's been advised safe by a doctor.

Sorry but it really does depend on the client, you can't say just because they're diabetic I'm not touching them even though the doctor says it's fine.

This is an example of someone only skimming over posts. If you read carefully, you will see that I said leftover exfoliation granules can cause ulcerations, NOT metal pushes. Many diabetics have more fragile skin, so using a metal pusher as you normally would in a careful manner on any client, can cause damage, regardless of how careful you are.

Wanted to just comment from the view of someone with a diabetic partner. I do my hubby's nails but am always cautious despite knowing his illness inside out as I am his main carer. I would agree to err on the side of caution.

I would however say that the comments made about people reconsidering their career choice because of their training and views on diabetic clients was way out of line. Eskimo - you seem to be very agressive in your replies and very abrupt. Yes, people are thick skinned and know to read carefully before taking offence but your replies don't really leave much choice in most cases :( You really should think about being nicer to people hun as you are taken the wrong way by people :( xx

I really could care less the way I am taken by people, actually. Especially when someone says something as horrifying as "we should treat clients all the same". Sure, why not. Let's just have a free for all, and not even do consultations? Why would we even ask if they have ANY disorder then, if we should just treat them all the same? Let's just use metal tools on everyone, give good massages, and trim dead tissue too! Oh, what a beautiful day!

I may come off abrubt, but there are A LOT of new nail techs who read this forum and don't post. If they read that (awful) advice and take it, they could seriously injure their client. Saying things like that is completely reckless, and makes me wonder where on earth this person did their training, and how they have not injured someone yet.

Hi

Not sure what your problem is, but your comment about "they have diabetes and they need to accept that" i think is neither here nor there.

The discussuion isn't about weather someone accepts their medical condition or not is's about performing a safe and enjoyable treatment.

I am a diabetic and i regularly get my nails done and as long as the person doing the treatment is properly trained everything is fine. Act with caution yes but you would for anyone else.

What about clients that are taking Asprin to help thin their blood, these people would probably be at an either greater risk if you were to cut them, as stopping the blood flow is a nightmare, and i know what i'm talking about as i used to be a student nurse and worked as a healthcare assitant at the hospital.

As for the easy bruising, skintearing etc these are problems more associated with the elderly, as you said you use to work on elderly hands and feet.

As diabetics are both young and old, these problems cannot be specifically target as diabetic problems. What is a problem is infection so as long as all proper precautions are taken with the maintenance and hygeine of the tools and work area, everything should be fine.

Again, this is an example of someone NOT reading carefully. My response about "they have diabetes and need to accept that", was directed towards the comment that "she was just happy someone would treat her like any other client". Obviously, or not so much, as you all seem to think I am the spawn of Satan, I completely sympathize with someone who has a medical condition. Most people with issues like this will have realized that they need a different type of treatment than the rest. The ones who think they are the exception to the rule will look for tech's that will cave to their own ethics and go against their training.

I'm sorry if this was confusing to you. And Aspirin and other blood thinners are on my consultation form.

charliek71 this is the point i was trying to make. we should give all our clients extra care and attention not just those who have a health problem. there may be steps your miss from manicures for a variety of reasons, you do what suits that clients needs. it annoys me on this forum that everything turns into a bitch fest at times and you almost cant have your say or give your point of you. we are all "supposed" to be professionals who deal and speak to a varity of people on a daily basis yet some of us cant respond to a post (regardless of wither you think its correct info or not) without making unnecessary or bitchy comments.

I take my client's health very seriously. I am always disheartened when I get clients sitting in front of me who tell me a horror story about them or a family member being injured by a negligent tech. Many times I was approached by family members of my diabetic clients, asking if they could stay to make sure I don't hurt their family member, like the previous tech's did. I always obliged, and they were always happy with my work, as I did not use metal implements and never did a deep massage, or trimmed dead tissue.

Well being a type1 diabetic therapist, i have to say the whole conversation makes me so angry:mad:. And i had to agree with charlie's advise. UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT, KEEP YOU BAD ADVISE TO YOURSELF

I do know what I am talking about. Not only have I worked with an enormous number of diabetic clients (elderly and otherwise), but I have taken over 6 seperate nail technology courses whilst consulting my Aunt who is a head nurse for the provincial health department. And I have a degree in biomechanics and pharmacology. :lol:

I would never take an issue so seriously as my clients health, and people acting in reckless manners to make our industry look bad. If anyone else has any problems, feel free to message me and we can deal with it privately. :green:

i personally understood the comment about treating this lady with diabetes the same as everyone as meaning that the tech behaved as she would have with all clients but adapted her treatment of her hands and nails according to her diabetes. Behaved meaning not panicking that she was a diabetic or refusing to do the treatment through lack of knowledge. Instead this nail tech performed the manicure that is considered safe for a person with diabetes. From other posts I've read on salon geek it appears that some diabetics get upset understandably when their illness means they are spoken to differently and behaved differently towards.

I could be way off here but thats how i understood it.

I have been told not to use metal implements and adapt my manicure accordingly.

I don't think it's the case that the person shouldn't be a nail tech i just think that further understanding is needed which i think has been explained in other posts.

I'm only a newbie what do i know hee hee but just wanted to maybe give an alternative view on the comment and show that as a newbie i didn't take it the way you understood it so possibly others didn't either.

Last edited:
Just finished my course at college and have been taught treating a client with Diabetes we should not be using heat I.e paraffin wax, heated mitts and also massage - Everything else is fine :)

This whole thread makes me really lose my faith in any sort of professionalism in this industry. I'll address all of you this once, and then let you carry on your merry way.

huh?

This is an example of someone only skimming over posts. If you read carefully, you will see that I said leftover exfoliation granules can cause ulcerations, NOT metal pushes. Many diabetics have more fragile skin, so using a metal pusher as you normally would in a careful manner on any client, can cause damage, regardless of how careful you are.

I really could care less the way I am taken by people, actually. Especially when someone says something as horrifying as "we should treat clients all the same". Sure, why not. Let's just have a free for all, and not even do consultations? Why would we even ask if they have ANY disorder then, if we should just treat them all the same? Let's just use metal tools on everyone, give good massages, and trim dead tissue too! Oh, what a beautiful day!

I may come off abrubt, but there are A LOT of new nail techs who read this forum and don't post. If they read that (awful) advice and take it, they could seriously injure their client. Saying things like that is completely reckless, and makes me wonder where on earth this person did their training, and how they have not injured someone yet.

Again, this is an example of someone NOT reading carefully. My response about "they have diabetes and need to accept that", was directed towards the comment that "she was just happy someone would treat her like any other client". Obviously, or not so much, as you all seem to think I am the spawn of Satan, I completely sympathize with someone who has a medical condition. Most people with issues like this will have realized that they need a different type of treatment than the rest. The ones who think they are the exception to the rule will look for tech's that will cave to their own ethics and go against their training.

I'm sorry if this was confusing to you. And Aspirin and other blood thinners are on my consultation form.

I take my client's health very seriously. I am always disheartened when I get clients sitting in front of me who tell me a horror story about them or a family member being injured by a negligent tech. Many times I was approached by family members of my diabetic clients, asking if they could stay to make sure I don't hurt their family member, like the previous tech's did. I always obliged, and they were always happy with my work, as I did not use metal implements and never did a deep massage, or trimmed dead tissue.

I do know what I am talking about. Not only have I worked with an enormous number of diabetic clients (elderly and otherwise), but I have taken over 6 seperate nail technology courses whilst consulting my Aunt who is a head nurse for the provincial health department. And I have a degree in biomechanics and pharmacology. :lol:

I would never take an issue so seriously as my clients health, and people acting in reckless manners to make our industry look bad. If anyone else has any problems, feel free to message me and we can deal with it privately. :green:

I read you perfectly xxx you shoot from the hip and thats ok by me x I read your replies in their entirety and agree sxxx

what your posts say to me is a thorough consultation is crucial and adapt the treatment to suit xxx

Sadly clients suffer conditions requiring adaptations we would never make them feel different but we can show them how much we care for them by adapting their treatment to make sure they are always in the very best professional hands x

Ditto. I am not going to revisit my notes but I am sure from memory when I did that old -fashioned qualification the City and Guilds, diabetes was a contra-indication, which does not always mean you can't do it, it can also mean you need to adapt your treatment. Lots of very frustrating advice on here lately.

Being a type 1 diabetic and a nail tech this thread has also angered me.

Hun the reason is because a diabetic is at higher risk of septicemia, something often started with a cut. Nothing to do with bruising.

I inject insulin 4 times a day...I am well controlled. AND I ACCEPT THAT!!!

I read it the same way xx

In beauty, life, art, music ANYTHING you can all be taught a different way and get the same results?

Now almost everyone on this post has given advice mostly good! Just because a therapist asks a question about a treatment (before they perform the treatment) doesn't make them a bad therapist!! Actually makes them a good one as they have taken the time to find out!

I gave advice about cuticle nippers not being used, but wasn't sure about p wax or scrubs, which I stated! Now this doesn't make me a bad therapist or nail tech! But I studied beauty over 8 years ago, I have never had a diabetic client in those 8 years! And when I do, after reading this post I've learnt alot more so I gave the advice I had and learnt a lot more with it!!

Thank you to everyone for your comments and advice!

The whole point of salon geek is to ask questions so please don't put therapists down when they do just that!!

: )

In beauty, life, art, music ANYTHING you can all be taught a different way and get the same results?

Now almost everyone on this post has given advice mostly good! Just because a therapist asks a question about a treatment (before they perform the treatment) doesn't make them a bad therapist!! Actually makes them a good one as they have taken the time to find out!

I gave advice about cuticle nippers not being used, but wasn't sure about p wax or scrubs, which I stated! Now this doesn't make me a bad therapist or nail tech! But I studied beauty over 8 years ago, I have never had a diabetic client in those 8 years! And when I do, after reading this post I've learnt alot more so I gave the advice I had and learnt a lot more with it!!

The whole point of salon geek is to ask questions so please don't put therapists down when they do just that!!

Here-here!!
x

So agree. As a diabetic Im also advised not to put my feet in hot baths or spas due to circulation issues and also not to ever walk around bare foot. xxx

Well said! Couldn't agree more x

Sent from my HTC Desire S using SalonGeek

totally agree! well said!

I am a Beauty Therapist and I'm a Pre -Diabetic (long story).. So I can see from both angles here.

Yes, you are taught at College that diabetes is a contra-indication that will prevent or restrict basically every single treatment in Beauty in some way. I do agree that someone with poor control of their Diabetes can bring issues, but the majority are in good control, and I feel sometimes are discriminated because of this.

But as a diabetic myself, if I went for treatment as was refused cuticle work with metal tools I would be asking why?.. Trust me.. pushing back my cuticles is not going to make me fall flat on the floor. Obviously you need to be careful about bleeding and sensation, but surely you would do that with every single client you serve. Why should a diabetic be any different? I am human too!

I'm not dismissing that it is not a contra-indication but I just think that therapists need to listen to the individual, they know their body, if they are feeling 'Low' - as in low blood sugars and what they want from the beauty industry. I don't feel that is to be treated like a leper! Diabetes is a horrible thing to live with, who wants to inject themselfs and be constantly having to monitor your intake of food.. and being treated differently can make things worse, try to empathise with them and put yourself in their shoes. I think some are erring on the side of caution to the extreme.

Trust me, not being able to eat a big slab of chocolate cake after a bad day is Very Upsetting!!

I have at least 15 diabetic clients that I can think of, all with various degrees of severity. I just adapt my service accordingly, but I still use a metal pusher, they still get an exfoliation, they still receive a massage etc etc and none of them have lost any digits or dropped down dead. I keep a regular check on their condition and don't make u huge song and dance about it and they all appreciate being treated "like any other client" because from their perspective I am doing nothing different. They wouldn't appreciate a verbally aggressive nail tech or one who treated them like a mutant etc etc.

consult, adapt, care and respect!! X

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

It is also worth consulting with your insurance provider. It may be the case that they have restrictions on the treatment of diabetics in their policy. By not following this, you could be at risk of invalidating your insurance.

As a diabetic myself it depends on each person. No our skin is not more sensitive to cuts and bruises but if we do get nicked by an instrument while having a manicure and we bleed this is where it may cause a problem.

As a diabetic with well managed sugar levels this wouldnt be an issue. Someone with badly managed diabetes will struggle to heal from this cut and this may lead to infection.

All in all diabetes isnt affected by the manicure - only if you are not careful with how you do it.

I was taught that, play on the safe side, restrict the treatment and if in doubt, gently refuse treatment and ask for a medical note.

I was taught to not use any heat in my treatments, including steamer in facials, parraffin wax, soaking of feet etc.

We were actually told to not carry out a massage unless we have a doctors note.

I was told to be more carefull and gentle on these clients...but were not told about metal instraments. This is something new that I have learnt. I also cannot rremember being told not to use exfoliants...but I think this is because we would not have been able to remove it anyway, as anything heat related was a no. Facials were also a no no without medical consent. So there would have been no area that we would have been able to exfoliat.

I think, if your not an expert in this area, and you are confused what to do or not do, it would be best you really research every aspect of the possible restrictions of a diabetic before you do any treatment. Always best to be safer than sorry. You need to know what you are doing before you treat anyone with a contra indication. Research, as I will be doing. I thought I knew what i was doing until seeing some of the restrictions in here. You need to be able to cover every eventuality.

Know your stuff before you continue. I'll be doing the same today. x

Latest posts

Back