Manicures & Pedicures - How Popular?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I'm studying for a diploma in Indian Head Massage, and yes, you are correct, you need a qualification in Anatomy and Physiology to do the course,,,,well thats in most areas of the country. My college is running the A+P alongside the Head Massage, so you can study for the two at once rather than having to do one before the other as it used to be. The A+P is demanding if you havnt studied for a while, but I love it so find it easy,,,,,check your local colleges and see what their fees are. good luck, hope this helps you a little.

Christine
Mani-fique! said:
Thanks for the link Glo... I'll look into it!

In the mean time I'm wondering if peeps can give their best tips on manicure/pedicure products, tips, techniques and options continuing from my previous post.....

Also is there anyone who has done the Indian Head Massage who can give me some pointers on how difficult it is to learn..... I understand you have to do the the Anatomy & Physiolgy course as well.... is that very difficult also?

Thanks and sorry for being a pain.:irked:

Sorry, forgot to add, I did a taster course in head massage last year,,,hence the addiction, it's very pleasant to give one, and even better to recieve one,,,we went as far as mixing our own oils as well.
Go for it!!!!

Sorry to be so dumb, but what are you guys talking about? What is VTCT? And is this something offered in the state of GA?

Mani-fique! said:
Thanks for all your replies, its given me some things to think about. The VTCT course is not starting til November so this summer is out lol but I'll be ready for next summer.

I doubt very much if I'll ever be working full time due to my health so, so long as it brings in sufficient part time then I'll be happy. I'm not going to entirely give up on enhancements but I've had to face the fact that since doing my FDFC 18 months ago I've still not got off the ground and not likely to so I'm sort of shelving things for the time being. Unfortunately this blasted M.E. sucks some of the passion out of me for nails and its become a nightmare to do enhancements. I keep trying to force myself as I get frustrated that I can't do a lot and keep comparing myself to other people that trained the same time as me but are coming on in leaps and bounds and its depressing. Now I've started dreading doing anybody's nails and making my health worse. I enjoy manicures and doing hand & arm massages so thats why I needed to know if it was worth me spending more money on training in pedicures.

I understand the comment about doing more training for to help me with my enhancements and that it would take 2 or 3 manicures to earn the same as one set of enhancements but the trouble is even after all this time I take up to 3 hours to do enhancements so for me it doesn't work out as simple as that. Maybe if I can get myself going with something that I can do then later when my confidence is better opt for the skill building classes?

I too want to go back to basics anway as my instincts are telling me that more and more people are getting more interested in natural nail care. Not saying that enhancements are old hat, far from it but I think they're becoming part of natural nail care rather than the other way round. I've noticed that there is an increase in people wanting shorter, well groomed nails, that are practical for the every day working woman...

Scattyfox.... you'll have to let me know how you get on with building up your mani/pedi clientelle maybe we can compare notes. What products do you use etc?

Its funny but when I first started out in the world of nails I did so by doing my VTCT in Manicure. Thats what I wanted to do foremost but got seduced by this site to do enhancements as they were so popular, and that being just a manicurist wouldn't be enough, but now I realise that at the moment its not for me and I need to go back to my first ideas for a while.

I'm not happy about it at all as I feel such a failure but I'm just banging my head against a brick wall and the wall 'aint shifting!

Have you considered doing a reflexology course? Its an holistic non invasive treatment and client love it. I found alot of pedicure clients asked for it and your A & P is covered withing the VTCT course.

p.s. http://www.vtct.org.uk/

I've just checked out the International Institute of Reflexology. Its something I have considered getting into I must admit. However the course is expensive. Its a years course and costs around £1300!!!! so I doubt very much if I will beable to do it.

Apparently there is no regulation for being a reflexologist surprisingly so there are a lot of courses that are inadequate for becoming a professional and people can set up just like that. This course is a diploma thats recognised around the world and when regulation dictates the minimum qualification it will be enough.

Drawing board out again I think!

how long are the vtct courses in pedicure? are they part time? i only do acrylics at the moment and i would like to do other things but struggle due to work! thanks katxxx

Hi, the Pedicure course that I'm interested in at my local college is part time. Its on a Thursday evening 6.30 - 9.30pm and its for a period of weeks but can't remember how many.

If you contact your local college they'll beable to fill you in on the part time courses they offer.

thanks for your help, i have contacted my college they say 3 hours a week for 17 weeks...i have applied for the course so fingers crossed!

im so excited lol
kat xxx

The federation of holistic therapists will insure you with a vctct certificate in reflexology. Try checking out your local colleges for part time courses as they are usually less expensive than private courses.

Hi i only do man and ped , this suits me because of the children. I found at first it was slow but sure it depends on how much you are looking to earn. Mandy~~~

Latest posts

Back