Massage after cancer

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jemma890

Reaction score
I have had a lady who has had cancer previously ask me for a massage. I was just wondering how long after treatment you would give a swedish massage.
How many years after cancer would I need a GP note. I always thought that if the client had had been treated for cancer in the last 5 years that they would need a note for insurance purposes. I'm not specially trained in giving cancer patients treatments so would just like to double check what other therapists do before I say yes x

Just checked with my insurance and they said it's whatever I was taught x

I think the teaching is out of date for massaging cancer patients. Do a thorough consultation and if you feel the need for a Drs note then ask for one. I've given clients massages during cancer treatment and after. It really helps them. If she is all clear now then I don't see a problem at all. X

Thanks for the reply x

Massage in a patient with active cancer is a no no. Whilst giving deep tissue massage the lymphatic system is invigorated thus increasing the likelihood of moving the disease around to other areas of the body. Always get a doctors note after treatment has finished and the first all clear

There are different schools of thought re massaging clients with cancer. Massaging can improve circulation of sluggish lymph. Cancer can spread regardless and many hospitals now offer massage to cancer patients.

I would ask for a doctors note to put your mind at rest x

I do agree with the above.. the medical profession is split 50/50 massage is good ..VS massage can spread cancers via the lymph system. Dr's note every time..

My client had stage 4...she died within a year of diagnosis...my massages helped her body after gruelling chemo and got her up and about in between sessions. She was always going to die. Would you deny someone a massage knowing this? I know I helped her and made her more comfortable. Every case is different. Consulting the client and getting the Oncologist approval is a must. X

She was always going to die. Would you deny someone a massage knowing this?

There is a big difference between massages as part of palliative care and those where the prognosis is more positive and possibly postponing treatment might be advised.

Advice will always vary and most insurance companies will want doctors consent so best to err on the side of caution.

I work within a hospital carrying out massages on patient. We would never do deep tissue, it just gentle relaxing moves. Consent off patient and staff, from either staff nurse, doc or consultant. We dont massage over cancer location. Take in to consideration if they have had lymph nodes removed. Avoid that area if had. General medical check like we 'normally' would. But id also check with your insurance company and their policy on it. Adapt treatments to the client

Latest posts

Back