Massage and cancer ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah Lou

Scatty Blonde Geek
Premium Geek
Reaction score
Hi geeks,

Just wondering if some of you can clear something up for me. Alot of the parents at the hospital are really excited for their kids as a someone is coming in next week to offer the kids massage.

I was allways told that under no circumstances should anyone with cancer recieve a massage as this boosts the blood, cancer ya get my drift.

One of the mums has said that as long as they are in remission this is ok to be done, but being in remission does not allways mean that all the cancer cells has gone.

Can soomeone clarify whether this is ok or not as I said I would find out and let them all know.

This is a tricky one,

Like you I was always told not to massage cancer patients BUT i know therapists who do.
Always do what you would feel happy doing and dont feel pressured in to doing a massage if you are not comfortable with the situation.

Go with what you know!!!

Hmm, I too have heard the same advice.. BUT - if it was wrong, surely the hospital wouldn't have someone coming in to do it?
After all, if they are the experts and think it's OK, then maybe it is. Perhaps you could ask one of the doctor's for more information about it? I'd love to know what they say as it could be informative for all of us.

Hi guys ,
I would say that the massages that will be offered will be soft and gently ones, more stroking and soft touches and not full blown sport muscle ones......

Massage is a hands-on therapeutic treatment that works on the soft tissue of the body, using movements such as stroking, holding, rubbing and kneading. It can improve blood and lymph circulation and restore the flow of energy through the body. It is used for relaxation or stimulation, relief of stress, tension and pain, and to bring about a general sense of wellbeing. It can also have an emotional effect, enabling people to laugh, cry or talk openly about how they are feeling.

There are many different types of massage. The main differences between them are the amount of pressure used, the use of different lotions or oils and the parts of the body they work on.

For people with cancer, gentle massage is most suitable. You should avoid massage around wounds, recent scars that are still healing, broken skin or infected areas. If you are having radiotherapy, the area being treated should be avoided during massage, although it is perfectly safe to have massage on other areas of your body.

I also got his from the Back up cancer help site:
they also have a free phone help line:

Phone the UK freephone helpline on 0808 800 1234
or write to them @
CancerBACUP
3 Bath Place
Rivington Street
London
EC2A 3JR
United Kingdom

I hope this helps a little xxxx
Is it safe to have a massage if you have cancer?
Massage therapy involves the manipulation of the soft tissues. It can vary from simply holding someone, to light touch and stroking through to deep, intensive kneading and probing. It may cover the whole body or focus on a particular areIt can be used with or without oils and lotions. Massage has been used for thousands of years to promote healing and well-being. There is good evidence that it helps reduce stress, anxiety and depression. Along with this it is relaxing and soothing.

All these benefits mean that many people with cancer find massage a help in coping with their condition. It does not suit everybody but is often a very positive addition to conventional treatments although there is no evidence that it actually helps in curing or controlling the cancer in any way.

Over the years doubts have sometimes been raised about the safety of using massage in people who have cancer, with worries that it might increase the spread of the disease or cause other problems. There is no good evidence for this but it does seem common sense to suggest that those parts of the body where there is known to be cancer present should not be actively manipulated and massaged as the tissues here might be more easily damaged.

With this one caution in mind there is really no reason why you should not try massage therapy and see if it helps you. If you do have any lingering doubts you can always double check with your own doctor before actually going ahead.

Thanks girls, I understand about not massaging areas where the cancer is known to be but along with Chelsie most of the kids have leukaemia, blood cancer which made me have a cause for concern.

Some of the kids have joint problems due to chemo and she also pays specific attention to these joint in help of relieving their pain but again these are kids with leukaemia.

Thanks for the info from bacup Ruth, I'll give them a tinkle and see what they have to say.

Are you doing this at the hospital?? if so then the way to put your mind at rest is to have a chat with the Doctor or get the parent/s to have a word to double check it is ok.

I think it is lovely what you are going to do, a little pampering and relaxation will do the littleones wonders. :biggrin:

To be truthfully honest, make sure the doctor has ok'd this as then if he's signed a document to say it's acceptable then you have a come back if you know what I mean.

If i'm ever unsure about doing massage/reflexology I always get a doctors note, this covers my insurance. I have heard of someone massaging a client with something wrong with him and he got home and passed away. Unfortunately he didn't get a doctors note etc and his insurance was invalid.

I was always taught, even by a cancer nurse that you never massage anyone who has it but if they've been clear for 4/5 years and still with a doctors note that only then can you massage. If it is terminal and that there is no chance of it going, then it can be used to help ease the patients suffering.

I hope i've helped a little. I do hope I haven't offended anyone x

I would be interested to know what the Doctors say. What their explanation is, if it is OK. I personally wouldn't do a professional swedish massage as i think it is too stimulating. But anyone can stroke the skin to aid relaxation, but i normally stay well clear even with a doctors note.

My mam has had various cancers and although she feels she would benefit from the relaxation benefits any stimulation would be a definate no-no for her.

Let us know what they say

Latest posts

Back