Massage therapist tingling hands

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hello has anyone experienced tingling like pins and needles in their hands after doing a massage? It only lasts about 5 to 10 minutes then goes and only happens when doing a massage. I had been doing massage for a few years then stopped for about a year after having my baby and since starting again ive experienced this after each massage but had never experienced this before. Its not painful but im now starting to wonder if im going to be causing long term damage to my nerves if i continue.

Hi Evie,

You should see your GP or visit a physiotherapist as you may have a few things going on. Over use of your wrists during massage may indicate that you have some early signs of tendon damage. Change the way you massage using elbows, forearms and hot stones can really help to prevent excess overuse of your wrists, thus extending your career and reducing the damage.
Sometimes pregnancy can weaken muscles and cause more potential for tendon strain.

Obviously I cannot say what you have specifically but from my own experience seeking help was essential and helped me to do some preventative stretches and rest my wrists when they flared up.
I have Tenosynovitis (De Quervains) which started in my mid 30's and my wrist braces were a godsend.

If you have the start of Carpel Tunnel however, this can be seen with an X-Ray of the wrist. So off you go to seek proper medical advice.
Good luck.

Latest posts

Back