Matte nail, shiny tip hints please?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiggerlady

Reaction score
morning girls, have any of you got hints for doing nails with the shiny French tip type part of a gelish nail with a matte body of the nail? Hope that explains it ..just that it looks really fiddly to do..any hints and tips would be welcome..thank you..

The area you want matte, dont apply top coat, cleanse the gently buff with white block if needed. The area you want shiny, you apply top coat and cleanse as per usual. I dont know if there are any other ways but its the way ive been doing it for years and ive had no issues

In gel polish?
Do your base colour coats, cure.
Apply matte top coat, cure
then apply your normal top coat where you want it to be shiny, cure & cleanse.
x

Yes in gel polish
So i prep the nails as normal, apply base coat, two coats of colour then remove inhibition layer. I then gently buff the nail if needed as some gel polishes are still shiny without having applied the top coat. So i gently buff with a white block to remove the shine then add topcoat to the area that i want to shine only. Hope this makes sense

Sorry i meant to the original poster did she mean in gel polish.

So kirstie your colour has no top coat?

Yes in gel polish
So i prep the nails as normal, apply base coat, two coats of colour then remove inhibition layer. I then gently buff the nail if needed as some gel polishes are still shiny without having applied the top coat. So i gently buff with a white block to remove the shine then add topcoat to the area that i want to shine only. Hope this makes sense
Does that not mean that you are then left with colour coat with no top on at all? Therefore no strength or protection?

To the OP if you don't have the matte top coat which I believe Gelish make, you can apply top coat as normal over your chosen colour, then buff gently just enough to remove the shine and reapply top coat to the tip only. This way all your colour is top coated but only the tip is left with shine.

Thanks girls..I think I was wayyyy overcomplicating things...seems like the best way is Gelish matte the whole nail, then Top it Off on tips..derr..I feel a right nana..lolz..x

Thanks girls..I think I was wayyyy overcomplicating things...seems like the best way is Gelish matte the whole nail, then Top it Off on tips..derr..I feel a right nana..lolz..x
Sounds like a plan! :)

I shall be pootling down to Sally's on Thursday to get the matte Gelish then....oh look! VAT free...what a coincidence...;)

Does that not mean that you are then left with colour coat with no top on at all? Therefore no strength or protection?

To the OP if you don't have the matte top coat which I believe Gelish make, you can apply top coat as normal over your chosen colour, then buff gently just enough to remove the shine and reapply top coat to the tip only. This way all your colour is top coated but only the tip is left with shine.

Yep, ive never heard of or have seen the matte topcoats before. Im definitely gonna take a look. Thanks :D

[Well ladies, am update...I did get the matte topcoat, and when I mentioned it to clients, 2 in one day had that rather than the usual Top it off..Result!

Latest posts

Back