Micro ring allergy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

em7609

Reaction score
I haven't posted in years so apologies for doing so and asking for some advice straight away.
I had some micro ring hair extensions fitted a couple of weeks ago and have not been able to stop itching since.
The girl did a great job, my hair was quite short, bonds were neat and close to the scalp and I would say Ive had a normal amount of slippage as they settle in to the shorter areas which on at least one occasion, she has been happy to reposition. She is now on holiday.

I am guessing its an allergy as if I wear metal earrings I have a similar reaction. I was not aware how close actual metal was going to be to my skin and when I looked at the rings they looked plastic covered but clearly they were just painted metal.

My problem is the brown metal rings have turned silver and are aggravating my scalp big style. They will have to come out but my own hair has been cut to a style with the extensions in and its going to look a little weird if I just have them removed. Im wondering if I should have another set of rings put in but ask for a different ring? Did she use substandard rings? Or go back to old fashioned bonds which I had before and I never had any problems with.

Need to sort it asap, its driving me mad!
BTW, I am an industry professional, I own a hair & beauty salon but Im the beauty not the hair :-/

The plastic your talking about might be because they are silicone lined so you may be seeing this these are the better rings and sometimes the colour of the rings can come off and expose the metal but this wouldn't make any difference to you having an allergy I would have them removed give your hair a little rest and your scalp time to recover then think about having bonds ,when I do micro rings I always put a few in clients and leave them for a few days to see if it irritates it sounds also like they may be too close to your scalp xx

Maybe they are too close to the scalp and causing tension on the hair?

If the rings start to turn silver then the underlying metal is aluminum. Are you sure you have an allergy to that? Even if the rings were made out of copper, they'd actually have to touch your scalp in order to cause an allergic reaction, and they can't be doing that because hair extensions can't be fitted that close even if you tried. I have never come across sub-standard rings because they are all the same, just in different variations (aluminum, copper, silicone-lined), they are being sold under different names and at different prices, but that doesn't change the fact either.
Some people just don't get on with extensions, it can be for various reasons (sensitive scalp, excess sebum formation etc). They might also have been installed too close to your scalp, who knows?

You need to be seen again by your extensionist (or another if you cant wait), if you both decide its the metal you could consider shrinkies which would use your current stick tips to bond them in.

You shold try having them fitted with shrink tubes in stead - you can re-use the stick tip strands.

If the micro rings already have turned silvery in a few weeks, then they must be poor quality.

Latest posts

Back