Mobile business should i?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissLeona

Reaction score
Im thinking of doing a nail course in gel, maintance, art design and airbrushing. Its going to cost me £1000, but how hard is it to start a mobile business? Would this be a waste of money for me?

Nothing is a waste of money if you are enthusiastic enough, are willing to post price lists, spend time thinking about networking and getting yourself out there and heard of.
Before spending all that money though I would suggest you went an did an introductory course for nails,just to make sure it's what you want to do. They are not the easiest things to do and require a hell of a lot of practising.
xxx

Nothing is a waste of money if you are enthusiastic enough, are willing to post price lists, spend time thinking about networking and getting yourself out there and heard of.
Before spending all that money though I would suggest you went an did an introductory course for nails,just to make sure it's what you want to do. They are not the easiest things to do and require a hell of a lot of practising.
xxx

This is great advice hun i would say purchase you gel and maintenance course first see how you go and take it from there.

Good luck xx

I spent £1000 on my first course, there was no way I was ready to go mobile after this.

It took a hell of a lot of practice and about another £1000 before I could let myself loose on clients.:lol:

Id recommend to concerntrate at one thing at a time hun.xx

Hi hunni! I am mobile, qualified in Creative l&P 5 years ago and then did Calgel course to add another string to my bow,so to speak.Also did Creative Spa manicure & pedicure course. Still doing training courses after all this time as i feel you have to keep it up to date. Training with Sienna X next month to offer spray tan mobile. The more you have to offer the better. I have got use of a room in a salon in my town, although it's only for evenings and i find clients want your services during the day, so mobile it is. I have leaflet dropped (got 1 client) advertised in local paper and put the word out through friends and family. You have to network to get your face and name out there, and also do some offers to compete with salons. Mobile is great fun, you don't have to worry about running a salon, overheads etc.. just you and your car! Keep going and you will get there, get yourself known,advertise on your car, in the paper, Yell.com is fab, i get so many people through it. Offer your services at school fetes (nail art), pamper parties (manicures & pedicures) local gym, hairdressers who don't have a nail tech, fashion shops...the list is endless. It is expensive when you start out, but the end result of building your client list is worth it. You don't have to spend a fortune on courses, usually when you buy a kit you get free training or discounted training. What products do you use?

Well atm im doing gel nails for my friends an family i have been for a while although im not qualified i can do it, im using the kit i was bought at xmas a few years back and regularly top it up with products from sallys, but i have to get my gel from edge nails. I want to do the course so i can get a proper job in a salon, but i really think a mobile business would be best for me because salons only pay min wage,(well depending if i pass my driving test) and as i have a young son and a partner who works full time i can work around them. Ive found courses on sallys website that offer a mani pedi course, then a gel nail application course its actually alot cheaper and its classroom based instead of the home study i was going for, they start on a mercia kit?? im also wanting to add on nail art and nail airbrushing because no-one in my area offers this (i have asked about).
I am well known around my area and its the sort of place were everyone knows your business so that should be good,

I also want to do spray tanning but ill look into that at a later time.

Could some help me with prices to charge,
I dont actually charge anything now because its great practise for me, and its family (you cant charge family ill get a clip round the ear if i ask) plus i asked them to help top up my kit.

But I want to start making money from it so what prices should i charge?
Obviously ill be offering discount to groups and partys.

(oh and i checked out insurance i was quoted £110 for the year then £47 from a different company is this good??? seems cheap to me but then im only use to checkin car insurance and i live in northern ireland so the insurance is really dear here)

Its not a waste of money if this is your passion hun. But i will pre warn you that nails is the hardest thing to master, it takes allot of time and practice before nails can be to a good standard it can take several months or even years before you will happy with your nails.

I wouldn't want you to think you can qualify and be able to set up a big busy business and be rolling it in as it wont be like this for anything, practice takes time.

But good luck with whatever you choose
x

Latest posts

Back