Mobile techs help thread

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailedit00

Reaction score
Right so I am currently home based, I have done mobile and still do on certain occasions but this year I will be mobile again and I need lots of advice. In the short period I was mobile I disliked it for a few reasons so I would like some advice on how other mobile techs deal with these things? I know there is advice on some of these but not all, maybe this could become a mobile thread as there isn't one?
-setting up/putting away taking a long time
-bringing chairs?
-dealing with clients children/family/friends/pets being distracting
-radius you would work in
-cost per mile outside radius?
-cost for repairs (travelling for £5 is very very annoying)
-minimum spend
-deposit scheme?
-transporting several systems? Any storage and organising advice is much appreciated (I have 70 gel polishes, hard gel system, 50 glitters, acrylic system, 2 lamps, portable efile, liquids, towels etc..) I have a roo trolley and it is falling apart already and too heavy

I would really appreciate any help thank you :)

I cant offer any advice but I'm also just starting out mobile and would agree with all of the above as I'm struggling to work out / get round all of the above.

Also wondering - as stupid as it sounds would a couch fit all mobile beauty needs. I.e if it was the right dimensions could you use it for nails, waxing, brows etc ...

I cant offer any advice but I'm also just starting out mobile and would agree with all of the above as I'm struggling to work out / get round all of the above.

Also wondering - as stupid as it sounds would a couch fit all mobile beauty needs. I.e if it was the right dimensions could you use it for nails, waxing, brows etc ...
I couldn't answer that as I only do nails sorry, I have done nails using a massage bed once when doing a friends nails who does massage and it was ok but the bars underneath got in the way slightly so I guess it would depend what the underneath is like on your couch?

I've been home based for a while but used to do mobile before that so based on my personal experience, I would offer the following advice:

Setting up etc does take a while, I used to have a case I worked out of which displayed all my stuff so I could work out of it with the lid up. But unless like a few techs, you're happy to work on an ironing board (I wouldn't have been), no way round this, but the more you do it, the quicker you get. Use the time to talk about their nails, any problems, change in style etc.

You get given chairs that are not the right height, or that have arms [emoji33]so I invested in a gas lift portable stool (about £50 from Ellisons) and a separate portable nail table. Buy good quality, they will last for years

Point out that a lot of your products are poisonous so you'd rather they didn't sit within touching/licking distance (toxic if you prefer that word lol) and it works wonders. Apart from that, there's not much you can do and I sympathise.

I worked free within a mile radius and charged £5 outside of that up to 3 miles. More than that and it wasn't worth it for me. But you could charge more maybe?

Cost for repairs/minimum spend - the same issue, I think. You could ask them to come to you for repairs in between appts. Or have something else done to boost the price, say a new gel colour or matching toes?

Deposit scheme - never ran one, sorry. I just blacklist if they mess around twice.

Luckily I was mobile before shellac came out - that's an awful lot of leaky bottles to cart round. Maybe someone else will suggest something.

To sum up, I hated mobile and after 2 years decided to work from home. For me it was the right decision and my stress levels went down hugely, also I can fit more clients in.

Btw you could offer a small discount or bottle of wine to share if a few friends got together at the same house, works nicely and saves you dragging everything round.

Xx

Edit to add: I would have thought a couch was too wide to sensibly do nails at comfortably. Maybe as a one off but not regularly

The Zuca bag and roo rolls are great for carting nail stuff about
The best and most long lasting bag I've had and never had a nail spillage yet x

I've been home based for a while but used to do mobile before that so based on my personal experience, I would offer the following advice:

Setting up etc does take a while, I used to have a case I worked out of which displayed all my stuff so I could work out of it with the lid up. But unless like a few techs, you're happy to work on an ironing board (I wouldn't have been), no way round this, but the more you do it, the quicker you get. Use the time to talk about their nails, any problems, change in style etc.

You get given chairs that are not the right height, or that have arms [emoji33]so I invested in a gas lift portable stool (about £50 from Ellisons) and a separate portable nail table. Buy good quality, they will last for years

Point out that a lot of your products are poisonous so you'd rather they didn't sit within touching/licking distance (toxic if you prefer that word lol) and it works wonders. Apart from that, there's not much you can do and I sympathise.

I worked free within a mile radius and charged £5 outside of that up to 3 miles. More than that and it wasn't worth it for me. But you could charge more maybe?

Cost for repairs/minimum spend - the same issue, I think. You could ask them to come to you for repairs in between appts. Or have something else done to boost the price, say a new gel colour or matching toes?

Deposit scheme - never ran one, sorry. I just blacklist if they mess around twice.

Luckily I was mobile before shellac came out - that's an awful lot of leaky bottles to cart round. Maybe someone else will suggest something.

To sum up, I hated mobile and after 2 years decided to work from home. For me it was the right decision and my stress levels went down hugely, also I can fit more clients in.

Btw you could offer a small discount or bottle of wine to share if a few friends got together at the same house, works nicely and saves you dragging everything round.

Xx

Edit to add: I would have thought a couch was too wide to sensibly do nails at comfortably. Maybe as a one off but not regularly
This is incredibly helpful thank you! :) the extra time spent setting up, travelling and so on makes me feel like we should charge more for it to be worth it I can do good shellac in 45 mins but packing, travelling setting up and so on all together can take me 2hrs in total!

The Zuca bag and roo rolls are great for carting nail stuff about
The best and most long lasting bag I've had and never had a nail spillage yet x
which zuca bag have you got? And would you mind attaching pictures of how you store your gel polish in it. I have thought about this but the price tag is huge and I haven't seen any pics of how people store nail stuff in it, only make up so I'm a bit unsure x

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1483807573.744591.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1483807584.210622.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1483807593.810588.jpg

There's about 10 roo rolls with over 100 shellac colours
Box of glitters box of additives
Brush roll colour pops
Bottles sit in side pouch
Lamp and extension lead

There's about 10 roo rolls with over 100 shellac colours
Box of glitters box of additives
Brush roll colour pops
Bottles sit in side pouch
Lamp and extension lead
Is it heavy with your stuff in or is it reasonable? Would you be able to comfortably carry it up a set of stairs x

It's heavy but I can carry it up stairs, it has double wheels at the back so can be bumped up stairs

I've been mobile for 11years this has been the most robust bag I've had and it's lasted me the longest
All the other bags I've had haven't lasted a year
I've probably had this 2 years or more and looks as new

I've been away and just returned, hence the delay in responding to your thread.

In answer to all your questions nailedit00 -
-setting up/putting away taking a long time - at the moment it takes me ages to set up and put away (approx half an hour in total for both). If not sure if you have seen but the posh mobile nail companies in London (I'm not sure if I can mention names on this site) just take minimal tools of the trade and no chairs or table. They use customers table and chairs. Therefore, it's quick for their set up. However, due to the clients you probably have, then having no table and chairs may not be an option.

-bringing chairs? - at present I don't have a chair or 2, as so far my clients have have decent chairs. I will be looking into this for the near future and keep you posted about what I get.

-dealing with clients children/family/friends/pets being distracting - this has been an issue for me. I am wanting to get better in this area. In a nail salon/ beauty salon there are quite a few distractions. So thinking these distractions will get sorted in time and I'll be able to guide the client through the treatment without being delayed. Distractions will always be there of some sort. Children will be the difficult one. However, knowing when your client can comfort their little one is always helpful. (For an example, during a gel polish application when can you let your client pick up their baby to comfort and then settle the baby. By the client doing that, then their treatment will be nicer for them and quicker for you. If the baby cries throughout, then it's horrible for both of you.) Failing that, I know some nail technicians state no pets/ children etc whilst treatment is taking place.

-radius you would work in - I only work in my town and no where else at the moment.

-cost per mile outside radius? - I don't charge extra for this, as only work in a small area. Mileage is incorporated in my price.

-cost for repairs (travelling for £5 is very very annoying) - I'm only offering Shellac at the moment (I know I need to extend my treatments, but just getting back into it all from having little ones. I'm trained in gel extensions and acrylics, but never used on clients before having children. By June 2017, I will offer hard gel extensions as less smelly than acrylics. So then I'll have to have a price list for repairs). Is it worth you doing repairs in between other jobs you have on in that area on that day? This would help reduce costs for you.

-minimum spend - not applicable to me at the moment. When I offer different treatments, then I will need a minimum. I don't want to be below minimum wage, as wanting this as a successful business which I love.

-deposit scheme? - none at moment as all clients have been brilliant. I will look into this though, as have heard horror stories of people not being at home or late!

-transporting several systems? Any storage and organising advice is much appreciated (I have 70 gel polishes, hard gel system, 50 glitters, acrylic system, 2 lamps, portable efile, liquids, towels etc..) I have a roo trolley and it is falling apart already and too heavy - ZUCA all the way!!!! As you have seen in a previous post, I love my Zuca bag. Yes it is expensive but bearing in mind how robust it is and how long it should last (I've only have mine a short time). It's a shame you live so far away, otherwise we could meet up and you could see how much you could get in to my Zuca bag. My Zuca bag is the same weight as other bags, but mine is full of my equipment, whilst the others are empty! Love the idea of Lilyloukatiekoo of having the roo rolls, I'll look into getting them for me.

Apologies for the lengthy response, but hope it's all useful. Sx

I've been mobile for 11years this has been the most robust bag I've had and it's lasted me the longest
All the other bags I've had haven't lasted a year
I've probably had this 2 years or more and looks as new
I have had a good look online and I have found one for £130 which is reasonable in my eyes, I am going to invest in a zuca bag and maybe a roo cube for my polishes x

I've been away and just returned, hence the delay in responding to your thread.

In answer to all your questions nailedit00 -
-setting up/putting away taking a long time - at the moment it takes me ages to set up and put away (approx half an hour in total for both). If not sure if you have seen but the posh mobile nail companies in London (I'm not sure if I can mention names on this site) just take minimal tools of the trade and no chairs or table. They use customers table and chairs. Therefore, it's quick for their set up. However, due to the clients you probably have, then having no table and chairs may not be an option.

-bringing chairs? - at present I don't have a chair or 2, as so far my clients have have decent chairs. I will be looking into this for the near future and keep you posted about what I get.

-dealing with clients children/family/friends/pets being distracting - this has been an issue for me. I am wanting to get better in this area. In a nail salon/ beauty salon there are quite a few distractions. So thinking these distractions will get sorted in time and I'll be able to guide the client through the treatment without being delayed. Distractions will always be there of some sort. Children will be the difficult one. However, knowing when your client can comfort their little one is always helpful. (For an example, during a gel polish application when can you let your client pick up their baby to comfort and then settle the baby. By the client doing that, then their treatment will be nicer for them and quicker for you. If the baby cries throughout, then it's horrible for both of you.) Failing that, I know some nail technicians state no pets/ children etc whilst treatment is taking place.

-radius you would work in - I only work in my town and no where else at the moment.

-cost per mile outside radius? - I don't charge extra for this, as only work in a small area. Mileage is incorporated in my price.

-cost for repairs (travelling for £5 is very very annoying) - I'm only offering Shellac at the moment (I know I need to extend my treatments, but just getting back into it all from having little ones. I'm trained in gel extensions and acrylics, but never used on clients before having children. By June 2017, I will offer hard gel extensions as less smelly than acrylics. So then I'll have to have a price list for repairs). Is it worth you doing repairs in between other jobs you have on in that area on that day? This would help reduce costs for you.

-minimum spend - not applicable to me at the moment. When I offer different treatments, then I will need a minimum. I don't want to be below minimum wage, as wanting this as a successful business which I love.

-deposit scheme? - none at moment as all clients have been brilliant. I will look into this though, as have heard horror stories of people not being at home or late!

-transporting several systems? Any storage and organising advice is much appreciated (I have 70 gel polishes, hard gel system, 50 glitters, acrylic system, 2 lamps, portable efile, liquids, towels etc..) I have a roo trolley and it is falling apart already and too heavy - ZUCA all the way!!!! As you have seen in a previous post, I love my Zuca bag. Yes it is expensive but bearing in mind how robust it is and how long it should last (I've only have mine a short time). It's a shame you live so far away, otherwise we could meet up and you could see how much you could get in to my Zuca bag. My Zuca bag is the same weight as other bags, but mine is full of my equipment, whilst the others are empty! Love the idea of Lilyloukatiekoo of having the roo rolls, I'll look into getting them for me.

Apologies for the lengthy response, but hope it's all useful. Sx
Thank you so much for the detailed response it is so helpful! I started out not having a table but I find it impossible to do gel extensions or acrylic at an angle or too far away from the client. I don't have chairs as I haven't needed them yet I dread the day I do! I think it's clear I need a zuca bag and I have found one I will get I absolutely hate my roo trolley it's terrible, the draws fall open, it weighs a ton I can't get it up stairs! I think bringing minimal equipment is a good idea and I think it would be quite easy to remove the sections of the zuca bag I'm not using for example take out the acrylic and hard gel sections if I'm only doing shellac! It's interesting people haven't needed a deposit scheme, I have had a lot of cancellations but only with first time clients never my regulars and as I am new to this half if my clients are first time clients some of who return some of who don't, maybe as I get more regulars this will improve. Thanks so much for your help :) x

I'm glad it helped!

I forgot to say that you can sit on the Zuca bag. I've only sat on it for a short time and it's been really good. If you want to use it as a seat, then you can get a seat cover to make it a little more comfortable. Mine doesn't have the double wheels like lilyloukatiekoo's. (Double wheels are supposed to help you roll up the stairs easily and I wanted this on mine, but it only came with single wheels. I carry my bag up the stairs and I have no problems).

I've still just got a folding camping table. However, looking for something much more sturdy and quicker to set up and take down. I really like the Bespoke Nail Table priced at £349 (in Jan 2011) - here's the link - http://www.nailsmag.com/article/81710/mobile-tech-markets-mobile-table I've contacted Teresa Smith to see if she is still selling them, but not heard anything. I know it's ALOT of money, similar to my Zuca bag being expensive compared to lots of other bags. However, I'm thinking that the table and bag we use (along with our products) are so important to have the best we can all afford. If my table is not sturdy, then the time it takes me to carry out each treatment will take me longer.

I'm surprised that not more mobile nail technicians have responded, as there must be loads who use this site. Come on mobile ladies and gents - let us know your tips of what works and doesn't! Plus lets see photos of your bags filled with your bits and pieces.

I have taken some photos of my Zuca bag, to give you an idea of size and what I have in there. I've tried to upload them to this site but they are too large. Then I've tried to reduce the file size of the photos and still no joy. I've got a new laptop and need to find out how to reduce the photos further and then add them. Once I have figured out how to do it, then you'll be able to see the photos of my fab Zuca bag.

Fitz_125 - I've heard other beauticians using a couch for various different treatments, including nails. Try it and see if it works for you.

Blossom - I like the idea of an incentive for the organiser, if you go to one house for 2 or more people who have treatments.

Sx

Last edited:
Next time I have enough money a zuca bag will be my next investment, I have heard about being able to sit on it which could come in handy :) I will upload some photos of my kit soon, here is a picture of the foldable table I use it was £50 from Amazon and it comes with a carry bag, it's sturdy and a really good size it also comes with an arm rest which is a bonus! It fits everything I need in it and it is easy to fold away but a bit awkward to get in the bag! I have done a 'party' before, it was for 5 women and I offered 10% off and free glitter and stamping which the women loved, it worked out brilliantly for me I did 5 shellac services in 4hrs so of course it's good money as you don't have to travel and spend time setting up. I will definitely push this more when I am mobile again x

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    739 KB · Views: 56

Latest posts

Back