Motorbike accident ouch!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asteropi

Reaction score
Ok I went to the hospital and I'm generally fine but my nail as you can see below is in a bad shape.
Doctor would probably take it out but she had no idea about acrylics and I'm allergic to anesthesia so she'd rather avoid it. She told me to cut off the edge and we'll see it again tomorrow
My teacher who saw the nail said I shouldn't cut it off because the nail cutter could help lift off what's left of the nail.
Not to mention it hurts like hell. There are times it's throbbing like I wanna cut off the entire finger and times I can't even feel it.
I should also mention the crack on the acrylic goes all the way to the cuticle but blood comes only till the middle, which as the doctor said, probably means it hasn't lifted completely, just the bloody half
What should I do?

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1482276923.754851.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1482276939.172989.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1482276956.622846.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1482276971.861603.jpg

Oh you poor thing! :(

I don't think I would cut it either - the 'shattering' action would cause SO much more pain that you just don't need. I'm not sure if you could even file it? :/

Either way, definitely get a plaster over it to help with some support.

I'm assuming the enhancement can be soaked off with acetone and not just a buff off enhancement.

It looks like the enhancement is cracked right through to the nail fold and you have bleeding around the hyponychium but I can't see any obvious bleeding around the centre. As the doctor says, she would rather take it out because you can't see the extent of the damage because of the enhancement. On the other hand, if you want to try and salvage your nail (if it's not cracked fully), filing the enhancement would be painful and applying acetone would be even more painful since you have an open wound and it is not recommended. What if you filed it very gently and taping the nail around with something not sticky like insulating tape to avoid further lifting and taking your time? What if you dipped the tip of the extension in acetone without exposing the skin if your enhancement is soakable?

If the nail plate is broken and exposed, you might risk an infection if you decide to cover it up with an enhancement. Since you are allergic to anesthesia, it will be a very painful experience if you had to have a total nail avulsion. Are there any other pain killing options which you are not allergic to?

I'd go with what the doctor says. If you do need to have what is called a total nail avulsion, in the complete nail technician guide book, it does state that you can apply acrylic or gel on skin as long as the nail bed is healed (it takes about 2 to 3 weeks) and not an open wound to create an artificial nail. I have done this to someone who had a partial nail avulsion -she cut about a quarter of her nail plate with a sharp knife and the nail bed took around 2 weeks to cure properly with no infection- and at that time, I applied the enhancement and she felt more comfortable.

Thanks for your replies. I didn't touch it and I'm off to the hospital now to see what the doctor will say.
It's soakable yes but I dread putting it in acetone. I might get the nail cutter with me and ask the doctor to do it if she thinks it's necessary.

Last edited:
I really don't know what I'm talking about here but I had a similar kind of break from trapping my nail in a draw but it didn't look half as bad as yours, I didnt cut it because I thought it would do a lot of damage and I tried filing it down killed me so I taped it down and used my efile to reduce length by using the sharp edge of the bit to cut it and that didn't hurt me at all? Like I said I don't know what I'm talking about and I wouldn't try it on a client but I kept catching it so really needed to reduce the length

Glad you're ok

Well obv the best advice is prob to do what the doctor says

But

If it was mine I would attempt to shorten it by gently filing, apply one of those micro-pore clear plasters over the top of the gap, squeezing to close it if not too much agony, and apply another overlay over the top to stop it breaking further or ripping, then let the beggar grow out, thinning it slightly as it became less sensitive. That is only what I feel I would do if it was mine. I would not fancy taking it off!

And def would not do it on a client!

Shame you poor thing! :( No advice but hope you have a speedy recovery. Let us know what your Doctor decided to do.

I got my nail cutter to the hospital after sanitizing it here. So a second doctor - more experienced one - said I didn't have to remove the nail since it's not entirely torn but we would have to find a way to shorten it. Or I could keep it wrapped over the next couple of weeks until it has healed enough to cut off the edge and cap over the rest.
Anyway, I showed them the nail cutter and how we use it. They sanitised it again and suggested we could give it a try. Doctor was going all wrong with it, kept it the wrong way, would snap the nail in half if I hadn't stopped her. So she pressed the finger firmly to keep it in place and minimize pain and bleeding, and told me to cut it myself. I was literally terrified, but thought worst case scenario they'll just take it off.
Everything was fine however. Good thing she was pressing it or I couldn't do it.
There was some slight bleeding again and it's wrapped now, but I'll post pics when I can

Last edited:
Do you mean a tip cutter?
If so that can shatter the enhancement and natural nail.
Toe nail clippers are fab! Just snip the edge and it's off.
How are you now? Just seen this x

Last edited:
Glad you managed to shorten it and got to speak to another doctor as well

Yeah I meant a tip cutter. It's not ideal but it worked.
Finger's wrapped all these past few days. Can't use it for anything and I've banged the rest 4 fingers cause I can't use them properly. Not to mention I can't wash it properly either! How I long for a nice warm bath!

What's left of my nail [emoji30]
White part is still lifted, half of the finger is still nail-free and its growing very slowly!
I removed my acrylic today as I was applying my new set and I was so disheartened [emoji30]

Not sure whether to attach a tip or to sculpt right away

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1488150321.639363.jpg

Oh honey. As grim as it is I'd be leaving that alone so it can reattach itself properly before you out any enhancement on it.

Lashings if oil on the nail and hyponichium. Once it's reattached you're all set to go.

Get a band-aid on it maybe so you cover it nicely, you can still moisturise but it's protected and our of sight (out of mind). It's a game of patience.

Latest posts

Back