Music certificate?!?!?! confused...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeautyPrincess.

Reaction score
hiya everyone :)

just a little confused, you see i thought you must have a music licence to play any music at all however i was talking to a lady who has a shop over the road from me and she said you only need one if you play the radio? does anyone know wether this is right?

thanks in advance :hug:

xoxox

Unfortunately it applies to any music you play whether radio, internet, cd etc.

if its not a professional known artist u dont need1.
I do a lot of CDS for people that dnt want to pay 4 a certificate or my dad owns a studio he does a wider range than me but charges a lot more.

I am summarising an article about music licences from the Health and Beauty Salon magazine, July issue, page 48.

If you play recorded music in public then you are legally required to pay for two licences: PPL and PRS.

So if you are playing music in your reception area, treatment rooms and telephone waiting then this applies to you.

PPL - PPL : Home
Annual fee until 31 December this year is £116.20 for 1-10 treatment tables.

PRS - PRS for Music
From 1 November 2008, annual fee up to 30 treatment tables £69.62 (TV/Radio); or first 5 treatment tables (CD player or equivalent, with or without TV or radio) £69.62

I play music in my salon and i have a PPL and a PRS licence.
You can buy special cd's from record stores that you don't need a licence for. They are more expensive than regular cd's but it's to ensure that the artists get their royalties cos they need the money!! :)

I am summarising an article about music licences from the Health and Beauty Salon magazine, July issue, page 48.

If you play recorded music in public then you are legally required to pay for two licences: PPL and PRS.

So if you are playing music in your reception area, treatment rooms and telephone waiting then this applies to you.

PPL - PPL : Home
Annual fee until 31 December this year is £116.20 for 1-10 treatment tables.

PRS - PRS for Music
From 1 November 2008, annual fee up to 30 treatment tables £69.62 (TV/Radio); or first 5 treatment tables (CD player or equivalent, with or without TV or radio) £69.62

Thats bloody outrageous!!!
As if they don't earn enough money anyway!
Why should it matter about the size of your salon, although shouldn't it be cheaper the smaller the salon!

I know for salons with rooms say for instance in the same premises (such as above hairdressers), only one licence is required PER premises. So if the hairdressers had a licence - you would not need one - could split the cost.

if its not a professional known artist u dont need1.
I do a lot of CDS for people that dnt want to pay 4 a certificate or my dad owns a studio he does a wider range than me but charges a lot more.

Am I right in thinking that they need to be specifically sold as royalty free though?

That is cool that you and your dad record your own music - what style is it in? Is it nice, chilled out, New Agey stuff for playing during treatments etc?
Posted via Mobile Device

Am I also right in thinking that you don't need a PRS or PPL licence if you run a home salon from a room in your house? I seem to remember reading that on a thread on here in the past...
Posted via Mobile Device

I have been contacted by the PRS about having a license and I just have a one room home salon and have less than 10 clients a week.
I decided to by one, one hour, royalty free down load from the internet, which I have a certificate for. It cost about £35, which was a lot cheaper than the £170 for PRS and PPL. If I was working full time I would be happier to pay this amount, but think its ridiculous as I'm a small sole trader.

Latest posts

Back