My lovely self employed therapist is leaving

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redlottie13

JUST BE NICE
Reaction score
So started the salon 3 months ago....It's been slow sometimes but mostly steady.

A lovely girl has been doing lashes and brows ect and as she's new to being self employed she's struggling with a couple of issues we are all familiar too
1) you never shut off
2) anxiety about where you will find clients ect
3) pure divvy unreasonable clients!

Now as I'm also new to owning a salon I'm unsure what my next sorts should be.
she's my only therapist (I'm doing the hair side she does lashes ect)

The reason she is looking to leave is that she's been offered an opportunity employed in a very nice salon (beauty side is a new venture for this other salon) and its closer to home.

My worry is that she's being naive I know the owner of the salon and she's a viiiiiile bully, the salon is bitchy and if she thinks she's worrying now about clients I dread to think how she will deal with targets and that environment.

She's a lovely girl and there are no hard feelings but where do I go from now, how long should I ask her to make a decision? And client wise she said She won't take any (she has every right I know this as shes s/e) how do you as a salon owner deal with the gap between someone finishing and someone else starting ....I honestly haven't been very lucky finding the right staff caibre for the salon , so this may be a while! X

I'm not entirely clear what it is that you're asking, but you clearly can't stop her from leaving. So you advertise for a new person to replace her. Maybe you hire someone employed on an interim basis to fill the gap if you think it may take a while or that the other girl may come back?

Can't afford it....done the calculation to day it won't cover her wage......

Sorry ...I'm unsure suppose I just feel a bit crappy about it And if I dont get someone what do I tell clients ?

Last edited:
Have you considered offering her part time, that might be more do-able?
No harm in asking.....and as she gets busier, you can offer her more hours....
How much is she averaging a day ATM?

That's the thing I worked it out based on 2 days some days it's 180 others it's nothing ....totally swings and roundabouts ...but she is getting there x

I'm in same boat. I am currently holding the fort on my own as my lovely stylist of nearly 4 years left 2 weeks ago to go into something different not hairdressing. Such a shame but you have to accept people will move on at some point and I only got 2 weeks notice so no time to replace her. I'm advertising and but no takers. Have got adverts on indeed for stylist, rent a chair and level 3 apprentice but hardly any takers and the few I have had weren't suitable. There is more local salons recruiting then there is people looking . My last day off was bank hol Monday and my next day off is the bank hol mon at end of month. My house is a tip and I'm gonna have to do my own roots as the grey has suddenly exploded!
Have tried local pages on fb and a salon recruitment page, sign in window. I'm so shocked, I thought there would be a lot more interest.
All I can advise is if you like her, tell her the door is open should she wish to come back and try and leave it on good terms. I'm lucky in that all the jobs I left, I moved on with no hard feelings and it's a small world so your paths will prob cross again at some point. Hope you have more luck recruiting than me. Turned away so many people today cos I was fully booked, I really need to get something sorted soon!

I'm in same boat. I am currently holding the fort on my own as my lovely stylist of nearly 4 years left 2 weeks ago to go into something different not hairdressing. Such a shame but you have to accept people will move on at some point and I only got 2 weeks notice so no time to replace her. I'm advertising and but no takers. Have got adverts on indeed for stylist, rent a chair and level 3 apprentice but hardly any takers and the few I have had weren't suitable. There is more local salons recruiting then there is people looking . My last day off was bank hol Monday and my next day off is the bank hol mon at end of month. My house is a tip and I'm gonna have to do my own roots as the grey has suddenly exploded!
Have tried local pages on fb and a salon recruitment page, sign in window. I'm so shocked, I thought there would be a lot more interest.
All I can advise is if you like her, tell her the door is open should she wish to come back and try and leave it on good terms. I'm lucky in that all the jobs I left, I moved on with no hard feelings and it's a small world so your paths will prob cross again at some point. Hope you have more luck recruiting than me. Turned away so many people today cos I was fully booked, I really need to get something sorted soon!

Totally feel your pain I really wish you all the best! I've had lots of interest but their standard of work isn't great Grrrr x

I worked self employed in a salon and I left for all the same reasons, I came back after a month :) it's very hard to go employed after the freedom of self employment so I suppose you could wait and see if she comes back, depends on how many clients are going to ask to go with her as you may have no need of another lady

I worked self employed in a salon and I left for all the same reasons, I came back after a month :) it's very hard to go employed after the freedom of self employment so I suppose you could wait and see if she comes back, depends on how many clients are going to ask to go with her as you may have no need of another lady

That's good to know! ....lots of clients but I'll have to see if I can take someone one in the interim. And if she wants to come back she can do separate days ( how do you guys get on with the same therapist / stylist offering the same thing ...is there any conflict of interest?)

That's good to know! ....lots of clients but I'll have to see if I can take someone one in the interim. And if she wants to come back she can do separate days ( how do you guys get on with the same therapist / stylist offering the same thing ...is there any conflict of interest?)

No I wouldn't say so, but we are all very friendly and worked together for a long time. I would say that when clients swap around we are just happy for them to still come to the salon :) but I'm the only one who does balayage, vivids, hair up and bleach and tone :) whereas I don't do perms or sets etc. So I suppose we all have our preferred interests :) hope that's what you meant [emoji85]

No I wouldn't say so, but we are all very friendly and worked together for a long time. I would say that when clients swap around we are just happy for them to still come to the salon :) but I'm the only one who does balayage, vivids, hair up and bleach and tone :) whereas I don't do perms or sets etc. So I suppose we all have our preferred interests :) hope that's what you meant [emoji85]

Perfect response thanks lovely x

Hi Lottie, I don't know if this would help but maybe tell her that you understand but that you would miss her deeply, and maybe try and negotiate a deal / a different rate of payment. I have been in this situation and I think if people feel apriciated and like they will be missed it makes them more reluctant to stay and whilst shes still building clients negotiate a lower rate until she gets buisier. Obviously a rate that still benefits you even if only slightly.

Hi Lottie, I don't know if this would help but maybe tell her that you understand but that you would miss her deeply, and maybe try and negotiate a deal / a different rate of payment. I have been in this situation and I think if people feel apriciated and like they will be missed it makes them more reluctant to stay and whilst shes still building clients negotiate a lower rate until she gets buisier. Obviously a rate that still benefits you even if only slightly.

I have love and offered a reduced rate....but I'm doing a low rate for the area anyway at 25, not sure what other terms I could do, any advice welcome x

It sounds asif you have done your best, unfortunately owning a business is hard and you grow attached to people you work with making it so hard to let go. But at the end of the day people are always going to do what they feel is best for them and you can't blame them you just have to try move on and hire new..
on a different note I posted a thread on hair about pastel colours could use your advice please. X

It sounds asif you have done your best, unfortunately owning a business is hard and you grow attached to people you work with making it so hard to let go. But at the end of the day people are always going to do what they feel is best for them and you can't blame them you just have to try move on and hire new..
on a different note I posted a thread on hair about pastel colours could use your advice please. X

Course I'll take a look love x

Latest posts

Back