Nail Art - Teach yourself aids

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

River

Reaction score
Hi,

As some of you know, I've been wanting to learn nail art for a while now, but I'm having problems finding a college or training establishment that offers the course, or if they do, they want an arm and a leg for it.

So, I've come across the attached and was wondering if anyone has used this ? Is it any good ? Is it worth spending the money on ? Would you recommend it ?

http://www.creativenailplace.com/Tech_pages/nail_effects2.htm#dvdkit

Your opinions would be much appreciated !

Thanks

River

i taught myself nail art, all i did was look at other ppls work and got inspiration. i have never done nail art on anybody as yet apart from myself. the kit does look quite good though soi would say go with what you feel is right. hth. katie

Havent tried it so I cant comment.... do you not have any geeks local to you that you could get together with and do a nail art training session? Us Essex geeks often get together and practise new designs, products etc and it costs nothing apart from a bottle of wine and a few nibbles! If you dont have anyone local then come to the next Essex meet, I will show you some nail art for free and you can kip on the sofa!! x

isnt the queen of geeky nail art in your area?

MS GORSCLAWS?

cant she point you in the right direction? pm her i'm sure she could offer some good advice.

ambx

Thanks for the kind offer Sherrie, I might just take you up on that one day.

Yes Minkus, I have spoken to the Queen, the Goddess of Nail Art, aka Glo, but she didn't feel comfortable taking money off someone to teach them nail art for fear that the person might feel ripped off.

I did suggest that I would be more than happy to learn for free, but alas .....

I also think Glo is quite busy, but if she is reading this post, I would still love for you to teach me (PRETTY PLEASE !!!)

If all else fails though, do you guys think I should give these books a go ????

River

River said:
Thanks for the kind offer Sherrie, I might just take you up on that one day.

Yes Minkus, I have spoken to the Queen, the Goddess of Nail Art, aka Glo, but she didn't feel comfortable taking money off someone to teach them nail art for fear that the person might feel ripped off.

I did suggest that I would be more than happy to learn for free, but alas .....

I also think Glo is quite busy, but if she is reading this post, I would still love for you to teach me (PRETTY PLEASE !!!)

If all else fails though, do you guys think I should give these books a go ????

River

if she does,does she want a class !! i know someone else who would lurve to tag along !!

AH sorry GLo for causing u a headache! Yep i know she is real busy....but in DEMAND !!

amb xxx

River said:
So, I've come across the attached and was wondering if anyone has used this ? Is it any good ? Is it worth spending the money on ? Would you recommend it ?

http://www.creativenailplace.com/Tech_pages/nail_effects2.htm#dvdkit

Thanks

River

Hi there, I had a look at this kit online this morning, it does look tempting in that you get it all in one package with a dvd to follow as well. I don't know anyone who has bought it so can't comment on it in that respect, but I've taught myself along the way really by avidly looking at what everyone else does and then adapting designs to suit my own abilities and clientele. Also if anyone posts up their new designs on this site, then most people explain how they've done it or what inspired them. I personally wouldnt spend any money on 'how to' kits as I think you will get there in the end without them, just my humble opinion though!

i'm totally pants at free hand nail art so am a great advocate of all the lovely little rhinestones, transfers, decals, foil shapes, glitter etc that is on the market - so easy but so effective. I've had my nails painted black this week with white flicks and a couple of diamantes and have so far had no less than 10 people stop me to ask where I get them done!!!

All i have to say is that you people are so lucky you all live close by by the sounds of things. I live in Tassie, are there any other aussies on this board? It is even hard to find products to do your own acrylic nails unless you want to pay an arm and leg for the small start kits all the time, I end up having to buy from ebay internationally and that's very dodgy incase it gets lost inthe mail.

Jess

I've got a scrap book (please don't laugh it almost puts me in the same category as a stamp collector!!!). Every time I see a design I like or find interesting or a guide to creating certain types of nail art - I cut it out and stick it in my book.

When I lack inspiration I look at my book and try out some new designs. Much of nail art is learnt through making mistakes. So just start experimenting!!! My book is great because I sometimes take a few ideas from different nails and put them together for a great unique result!!!

jessicawilli said:
All i have to say is that you people are so lucky you all live close by by the sounds of things. I live in Tassie, are there any other aussies on this board? It is even hard to find products to do your own acrylic nails unless you want to pay an arm and leg for the small start kits all the time, I end up having to buy from ebay internationally and that's very dodgy incase it gets lost inthe mail.

Jess

Hi Jess- I noticed from a previous thread that you have no formal training - I don't know if the case is the same where you are but you will be able to purchase products for less directly from the manufcturers if you have completed some training instead of e-bay or dodgy websites - are there any training academies near you because spending a little on training will save you a fortune on products in the long run!!!

i have the kit i bought it all separate, it is good the video is very well explained and the paints and brushes are very good, i would say if you can afford it, go for it.:wink2:

Latest posts

Back