Nail bed bleeding

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathrynm

Reaction score
I went to get a gel manicure today and the girl buffed my nail bed too far down and it started to bleed. It is now really sore and i have an open wound where the nail has been buffed away. Does anyone have any advice as to what to do and how long it will take to heal?

Do you have a picture so we can see what you mean?

Is it actually the surface of the nail plate, or the free edge length?

If it's the actual nail plate exposing the nail bed then you're looking a months before it grows out. It will have to grow from the cuticle to the free edge, bit like a lost finger/toe nail. It's going to hurt like hell as it will have exposed all the nerve endings under the nail plate. You run a greater risk of infection as the skin cannot protect itself as your fingers take a constant bashing with general things you do so potentially it will keep breaking open.

It's a pretty serious mistake to be making, I'm sorry you've had to suffer.

Thanks Trinity, it is the actual nail plate unfortunately not the free edge length. the picture doesn't look that bad but i have been sat with antiseptic cream on all day so it has stopped bleeding now but is incredibly sore. I also now have 11 painted nails and one natural one but i'm more worried about the risk of infection and if i have done any long term damage :-(

Nail.jpg

Yikes :( That's not good.

In the short term (next few days) there isn't much you can do other than protect it and keep it as clean as possible. The antiseptic cream is a good idea, I'd get some finger wrap too to protect it as much as possible. It's not sticky like plasters and is thicker so will provide some padding.

In a few days when the skin hardens and it's not quite so sore, and as long as it's not bleeding or weeping you could try putting a coat of nail polish over it, just for a little more protection. I'd go clear so you can see if anything happens underneath, but ultimately you'd be better leaving it alone completely.

It's going to take a good 4-6 months to fully grow out. Longer term damage is unknown until it grows, there is the possibility the nail bed has been damaged and the nail will never grow properly, it may always be week in that area or it may grow bumpy from the damage below. With some good fortune it will be fine, my Husband trapped his finger a few years back and lost the nail completely after it going black and falling off, however the new one has grown back perfectly fine with no issues. If you look closely you can see a slight discolouration on his nail bed which I think is scaring but the nail is perfect. It's really individual and no-one can tell until it grows.

OMG [emoji44]
Have you made a formal complaint to this person/salon?

How can anyone do that?!!
Shocking.
How are your other nails?

Was the damage done by a drill ?

Yikes :( That's not good.

In the short term (next few days) there isn't much you can do other than protect it and keep it as clean as possible. The antiseptic cream is a good idea, I'd get some finger wrap too to protect it as much as possible. It's not sticky like plasters and is thicker so will provide some padding.

In a few days when the skin hardens and it's not quite so sore, and as long as it's not bleeding or weeping you could try putting a coat of nail polish over it, just for a little more protection. I'd go clear so you can see if anything happens underneath, but ultimately you'd be better leaving it alone completely.

It's going to take a good 4-6 months to fully grow out. Longer term damage is unknown until it grows, there is the possibility the nail bed has been damaged and the nail will never grow properly, it may always be week in that area or it may grow bumpy from the damage below. With some good fortune it will be fine, my Husband trapped his finger a few years back and lost the nail completely after it going black and falling off, however the new one has grown back perfectly fine with no issues. If you look closely you can see a slight discolouration on his nail bed which I think is scaring but the nail is perfect. It's really individual and no-one can tell until it grows.
Thanks Trinity, fingers crossed it will grow out ok!

OMG [emoji44]
Have you made a formal complaint to this person/salon?

How can anyone do that?!!
Shocking.
How are your other nails?
My other nails are ok as i made her stop doing anything else straight away. She actually wanted to still go ahead and put the gel on top of the broken skin though! Certainly wont be going back to that salon ever again!

Was the damage done by a drill ?
No it was just a nail file but she got carried away buffing. it was only when i said it was really hurting that she stopped and then it started bleeding. She said that i must have very thin nails but my nails were in great condition and i've never had that problem before

No it was just a nail file but she got carried away buffing. it was only when i said it was really hurting that she stopped and then it started bleeding. She said that i must have very thin nails but my nails were in great condition and i've never had that problem before

That must have been one hec of a coarse grit on her file. Scary!!

You need to make a formal complaint to the salon owner. That is shocking damage and is inexcusable by anyone with even the most basic training.

Latest posts

Back