Nail enhancements during pregnancy?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Layla90

Reaction score
Hey there Geeks. i have recently passed in enhancements and was wondering where i stand with pregnant ladies. i have been told Acrylic is a no/no but also been told otherwise from other people? is there a cut off point as to when you would stop doing there enhancements if any?

Pregnancy is not contraindicated for manicures, gel polish, gel or acrylic enhancements. Some ladies find they get lifting and products don't last as long while pregnant but in my experience pregnant client can continue to have their nail treatment with no problems.

And no cut off point either, it's the clients choice how they wear their nails for delivery and with a new born. In fact I have a client booked in for when she's 39 weeks (if she hasn't already gone into labour!) because she wants her nails looking good!

perfect! thank you pure. i just thought id check as i wasn't 100% and have just had some whos 38 weeks ask about it :)

It's definitely safe. One of my daughters is 28 weeks and I do her nails, if there was the slightest evidence of any risk there's no way I'd allow her to have hers done.

I had my nails done whilst i was pregnant also and it wasn't questioned, but hearing it wasnt recommend it made me just want to double check :)

Think more to do with pedicures and foot massages rather than manicures! ;)

Acrylics and other enhancements are fine you just have to be mindful of them breathing in the dust particles which is something you have to be mindful with all clients anyway. I dont usually recommend clients having nail enhancements when they are close to their due date incase they need emergency surgery as enhancements arent allowed but if they insist on having them ill do it

I got told by my midwife that nail gels etc are a no no to them. As they cannot put a monitor on your finger if there is an emergency during labour. Or to leave one nail with nothing on it!! But again its up to the client if they take their healthcarers advice x

I was due on Monday yet here I am, sporting quite long pointy acrylics.

I was in the hospital for a check where they put the monitor on me and the bit around the finger had an opening so my nail went through it nicely. There are different kinds of monitors and some have the clamp kind of a thing for the finger but with a more reasonable length of a nail you can fit in it just fine (I have had long nails with all my pregnancies and been hooked to different machines). Beyond the length of the nail it shouldn't be a problem as the thingamabob on your finger takes your pulse from your fingertip and the material or thickness of your nail doesn't really affect that.

But asking the doctor is a good idea in any case just to make sure but I have had doctors tell me I have to clip my nails before I'm due and when asking for the reason they tell me because they are just too long and how do I plan on taking care of the baby with things like that on my fingers and no real reason whatsoever...

I was due on Monday yet here I am, sporting quite long pointy acrylics.

I was in the hospital for a check where they put the monitor on me and the bit around the finger had an opening so my nail went through it nicely. There are different kinds of monitors and some have the clamp kind of a thing for the finger but with a more reasonable length of a nail you can fit in it just fine (I have had long nails with all my pregnancies and been hooked to different machines). Beyond the length of the nail it shouldn't be a problem as the thingamabob on your finger takes your pulse from your fingertip and the material or thickness of your nail doesn't really affect that.

But asking the doctor is a good idea in any case just to make sure but I have had doctors tell me I have to clip my nails before I'm due and when asking for the reason they tell me because they are just too long and how do I plan on taking care of the baby with things like that on my fingers and no real reason whatsoever...

It's a saturation monitor (one of my clients is a pead doctor and she told me all about it :D ) - apparently it doesn't HAVE to go on your finger, it can just as easily go on a toe, or in desperate measures it will also work on your earlobe. The length of the nail is not the issue, it's the covering over the nail bed, the monitor measures the blood flow which is obsured if the nailbed has a covering on it such as polish, gel polish, coloured acrylic, etc. If it has clear acrylic over the nailbed it will still work as effectively.

On the subject of the original OP, I believe the colleges still teach that nail extentions are a no-no in the first trimester, bit of a pointless issue as most people don't know their pregnant until they are around 4/6 weeks, in that time they could quite easily have had 3 sets (if they were 'two weekers') unknowingly.

I trained with CND as was advised pregnancy is not a contra-indication

Learning every day! As a person having my fourth I have never heard of it until now :S Perhaps it is not that common that people need to be hooked to a saturation monitor or they can get a reading from somewhere else or it would be quite scary that nobody has mentioned it!

The monitors can be used on toes (Like they do with the baby ones, my son had one for 2 weeks). Otherwise the NHS would recommend never ever having acrylics - You could need eergency surgery tomorrow. I was at work one day and by tea time i was in hospital bleeding internally due to a ruptured ectopic pregnancy. I've fallen off horses and had serious injuries and ive had two premature babies.

Believe me if you need treatment they dont quibble over your nails they just take a different option.

There must be a reason hospitals don't have a nail drill and a tech on call to be able to save lives :p

The reason it shouldn't be done/worn to hospital is so that incase something goes wrong and you need surgery, they need to be able to check your circulation.... This isn't for only enhancements, but hand/feet polish as well..... Also they do have pure acetone in the hospitals (at least where I am)

Latest posts

Back