Nail infection from me?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I've been doing a clients shellac toenails for about 7 months. She first contacted me because her friend had damaged one of her toenails from filing off the shellac rather than using remover. A few of her nails were quite weak but other than that looked healthy. She lives just around the corner from me and was really happy when she found out that I did nails.

The last time she came for her appointment, her large toenail looked flaky and white at the top when I took the shellac off. To be honest fungal infection never even crossed my mind at the time as I'm the only one that does her nails. She questioned it but I brushed it off and I told her that it's likely to be weakness and carried on, which was my genuine feeling. When she left it played on my mind as I could tell she was really concerned and not happy with my response.

She usually has them done every 9 weeks. So once it got to the 10 week mark, I text to see if she wanted an appointment, and she replied to say that she had booked in somewhere else near to her work for convenience just this once and would be in touch. That was in March and I haven't heard anything since. I sent a text to some of my regulars to say that I'm going on holiday and who needs appointment and she never responded. Now I'm panicking as I haven't been doing nails for very long and I love my job! I'm worried I'll get shut down or in trouble!

I use boiling water to clean my tools and then I spray them with Mundo Disinfectant Spray and let them dry naturally. I sit them in Barbicide solution whilst working. I have two sets of tools, so alternate them between clients so that I can clean after each appointment. I also spray my work areas and use clean towels, so can't think of what could have gone wrong?? I'm so worried that it's put me off doing any nails now.

I wouldn't worry at all. Some clients will come and go and there's probably not anything more to it.
It could be that she was a little concerned about the flaky bit and wanted another opinion or it could just be she found the other salon more convenient and she goes at lunch time

Some people (myself included) are a bit inclined to get fungal infections more than others ... sometimes sealing a seemingly healthy nail with shellac seems to be all it takes to trigger it, since fungi thrive in moist warm environments, so it's not necessarily anyone's fault. You weren't to know if she was predisposed to it

9 weeks is far too long to be leaving between appointments anyway! Seesh! They never come regullaly then wonder why their nails are brittle, flaking, dehydrated & in naff condition Xx

If she isn't solar oiling she's going to get dehydrated nails though.

9 weeks is far too long to be leaving between appointments anyway! Seesh! They never come regullaly then wonder why their nails are brittle, flaking, dehydrated & in naff condition Xx

I know, I told her that she needs to come more often, especially as she doesn't even trim her nails inbetween appointments, so they're always really long and often broken far down. Yuk!

Obviously I don’t know if she actually has a fungal infection because she’s never come back, but out of curiosity, could the nail get infected on its own under shellac? Is that possible? The only reason that I ask is because she has very sweaty feet and they always smell bad when she comes for her appointment. She works long hours as a lawyer and always has tights on, just wondering is this has any impact?

Obviously I don’t know if she actually has a fungal infection because she’s never come back, but out of curiosity, could the nail get infected on its own under shellac? Is that possible? The only reason that I ask is because she has very sweaty feet and they always smell bad when she comes for her appointment. She works long hours as a lawyer and always has tights on, just wondering is this has any impact?

I suppose it could, especially if the Shellac has been left on so long that it's started to lift in places and like you said, broken off with the nail that's broken far down. Bacteria could easily get trapped. Or it could just be dehydrated/damaged nails!

Either way, she clearly doesn't look after them so I doubt it's something you did and wouldn't worry about it :)

More & more info is stacking up to you not needing/wanting her as a client imo hun!

Please dont take to heart the fact she hasnt come back & believe you are to blame. She's not doing a thing to look after her foot/nail health, an hours app with you every 9 weeks is not going to fix her grotty habbits.

Bet if it is fungal she wont do a damn thing about that either

Xx

More & more info is stacking up to you not needing/wanting her as a client imo hun!

Please dont take to heart the fact she hasnt come back & believe you are to blame. She's not doing a thing to look after her foot/nail health, an hours app with you every 9 weeks is not going to fix her grotty habbits.

Bet if it is fungal she wont do a damn thing about that either

Xx

Thank you. I think I'm just panicked because I would feel awful if I gave someone an infection. I take pride in having high standards so it worried me that I've missed something or done something wrong without realising. I think because I'm still quite new to nails, I'm probably over-thinking everything as I'm not fully confident yet. x

If she isn't solar oiling she's going to get dehydrated nails though.

Yes! Seems like her nail needs conditioning. Hair and nails are made of the same thing. Can you imagine hair if it didnt get conditioning for 9 weeks? I ask clients if theybhave cuticle oil at home and suggest using it around the cuticle and under the free edge between shellac/gel polish appts. If it wasnt discolored, just white flaky, more than likely it was dry and a bit of oil would make a difference. Apply oik, massage in, and clean the nail with a nail plate cleanser before applying next gel polish.

Hey! I totally get you. Most of us take such matters very personally, even if it's not our fault.
As others say, it's very unlikely, that her nail problems (if there are any) has anything to do with you.
I tell my clients, if they can't make it next to appointment within 4-5weeks, then they definitely have to trim their nails. Because too long feet nails can cause various problems.

Latest posts

Back