Nail training - bit overwhelmed by choices!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sugar_Girl

Glitterholic
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

As the title says I would really like to start training to become a nail tech but there are so many options out there I'm not sure what route to pick so I apologize in advance for rambling but any advice would be appreciated if anyone does manage to read through!

Bit of background info, I live in Yorkshire UK and I work full time so whatever I pick needs to be fitted in around my job/days off, that means the local College is out because the part time nail course is in the middle of the day. I also plan on being mobile/home based.

I am particularly interested in Fiberglass/Silk nails and airbrushing. I realize that these two are not the most popular services! but I feel like these appeal to me most (I already own an airbrush which will be suitable for nails)

Option 1: I've seen that its often recommended to train with a known company but the Backscratchers course but it does specify that manicure experience is required so I can't start with that though.
I am thinking about also doing Gels too though so I could train via Gel II as they do a mani/gel polish 2 day course then do the Backscratchers.
This option wouldn't include any airbrush training, I'm not sure if I would need to be officially trained in that for insurance etc though or if I could just practice at home with the Essential nails DVD.
I'm also not sure how well these might be recognized else where

Option 2: Essential Nails learn at home courses. this would be the easiest for me as I can do it in my own time, but I have heard that its not recognized everywhere if I later want to do a conversion course though and with it being learn at home I don't want to develop bad habits from the start

Option 3: do a course through the Beauty Academy, this appeals to me as it has a bit of everything I want to cover, plus I would end up with an NVQ/VTCT which really appeals to me with it being a well recognized qualification but squeezing it in around my work schedule will be tough and it could take months before the dates are ones that I can fit in, in fact I might not be able to fit it in this year at all

does anyone have any thoughts or considerations that I have missed?

PS - I have got a copy of the Encyclopedia of Nail and I have ordered Nailclass and Nail Structure and Product Chemistry, anything else anyone would recommend for my library?

well just an update in case anyone wonders, according to my local trainer it looks like I can train as a beginner with Qtica/backscratchers after all which makes things bit simpler :o

I've also gone ahead and ordered some training DVDs from essential nails, I figured they won't hurt as a reference to go back to and I wanted to order the Nail trainer from them anyway

well just an update in case anyone wonders, according to my local trainer it looks like I can train as a beginner with Qtica/backscratchers after all which makes things bit simpler :eek:

I've also gone ahead and ordered some training DVDs from essential nails, I figured they won't hurt as a reference to go back to and I wanted to order the Nail trainer from them anyway
How are you finding the course ?

How are you finding the course ?

Hi, I never did the backscratchers in the end due to never being able to get someone to contact me about buying the required kit (I chased it up 3-4times) Stopped bothering to chase it up after a rather unpleasant exchange with the local trainer

The DVDs were ok but not great resolution (kind of like poor VHS quality) so would not recommend really unless there's no other option for you

I eventually did a gel course through creative beauty group which was good then did my level 3 VTCT which was really intense but covered everything in loads of detail, wish I'd just jumped in and done that first!

Latest posts

Back