Nails with extended hyponychium

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can I just ask on a similar line? My mum had an injury to her finger (brother took a chunk out of the top of her finger whilst she was holding the branch that he lopped off!!) The top of the pad was nipped off and after lengthy treatment it looks normal apart from the fact that when the nail grows (free edge) skin seems to grow with it underneath, on one side of the nail it is higher so there is never a free edge so to speak. When I give her a manicure it is very sensitive the only thing I can do is keep it short unfortunately it always stands out when the rest of her nails look lovely. She has asked at the hospital what it is called they cant give a name to it. Would this be classed as sole horn? Can anything be done (I know its doubtful).

Can I just ask on a similar line? My mum had an injury to her finger (brother took a chunk out of the top of her finger whilst she was holding the branch that he lopped off!!) The top of the pad was nipped off and after lengthy treatment it looks normal apart from the fact that when the nail grows (free edge) skin seems to grow with it underneath, on one side of the nail it is higher so there is never a free edge so to speak. When I give her a manicure it is very sensitive the only thing I can do is keep it short unfortunately it always stands out when the rest of her nails look lovely. She has asked at the hospital what it is called they cant give a name to it. Would this be classed as sole horn? Can anything be done (I know its doubtful).

Sounds like scar tissue from the injury. I have seen similar before. This is not anything regular but the result of an injury so it does not have a name.

Sounds like scar tissue from the injury. I have seen similar before. This is not anything regular but the result of an injury so it does not have a name.

Thanks for your reply.

This is not ptergium which is "an over production of skin cells" such as psoriasis.

Well, from what I have learnt, pterygium is nothing like psoriasis.

I'm quoting from Doug Schoons book (nail structure and product chemistry). /.../inverse pterygium/.../This condition is seen when skin on the tip of the finger remains attached to the underside of the nail plate. As the plate grows away from the fingertip, the attached skin is streched and pulled. This condition can be painful and can bleed if cut."

This is what I related to...but I may of course be completely wrong (hapens quite often :))

Take care!

Well, from what I have learnt, pterygium is nothing like psoriasis.

I'm quoting from Doug Schoons book (nail structure and product chemistry). /.../inverse pterygium/.../This condition is seen when skin on the tip of the finger remains attached to the underside of the nail plate. As the plate grows away from the fingertip, the attached skin is streched and pulled. This condition can be painful and can bleed if cut."

This is what I related to...but I may of course be completely wrong (hapens quite often :))

Take care!

I did not say pterygium was psoriasis, I said psoriasis was pterygium, which is quite a different thing. Psoriasis is an over production of skin which is also a type of pterygium.

Inverse pterygium is a new term to me (guess I should get the updated copy of Dougs book) but if that is what they are calling it now (rather than an extended hyponychium) then that is how I shall refer to it from now on but it is still not correct to simply say it is pterygium which refers to a general condition of skin overgrowth rather than a specific condition in a specific area..

I did not say pterygium was psoriasis, I said psoriasis was pterygium, which is quite a different thing. Psoriasis is an over production of skin which is also a type of pterygium.

Inverse pterygium is a new term to me (guess I should get the updated copy of Dougs book) but if that is what they are calling it now (rather than an extended hyponychium) then that is how I shall refer to it from now on but it is still not correct to simply say it is pterygium which refers to a general condition of skin overgrowth rather than a specific condition in a specific area..

Help please, I suddenly have this problem and it is painful to type, only a few of my fingers don't have it. How do I treat it? or stop it from occurring on my other nails? also what causes it? i was not born with it. I'm assuming I got it when I applied acrylics myself.

just looked at my sister nails and the hyponychium his still attached to the nail underneath and they have grown quite long. any ideas on what do do??
i can think of is use solar oil and cuticle remover everyday but i may be wrong?? any ideas?? xx

Did your sister get it cured? I also have this problem

the day after i read this post i got a client with the same problem. she has been wearing long acrylics for years and i think it has gradually been pulling it futher over time. i cant cut her nails even to her finger length cause her hyponchium extends past that and into the free edge of her natural white tip. its very painful for her too. glad i read this first otherwise i think i would of assumed it was glue stuck under her nail, thats almost what it looks like as the skin is webbed almost to the nail. thanks for posting info guys, you are such a great support system

Latest posts

Back