Natural nail help, please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deena

Reaction score
I am away from home at the moment, staying with my elderly mother in law. She is asking me what she can buy for her ridged, thin and peeling nails? She likes to apply nail polish as well. She has already tried Sally Hanson and gives it the thumbs down.

I am far more into nail enhancements, so I am thinking in terms of OPI which can be bought immediately from the shops - or, if she waits, I could order from CND etc.

Please, what would you recommend to get her nails into the best condition to hold a nail polish? She isn't interested in having nail treatments from a salon etc, just wants something she can apply and go!

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks. :)

Some Sally Hansen products can actually make the peeling worse...so a definite thumbs down there!

Have you tried a ridgefiller basecoat Deena...and of course a good cutcle oil for those dry peeling nails!!

Thanks, Izzi. Any other suggestions for her problems in terms of what products to buy/order for her ie cnd/opi/nfu oh? Her free edges do peel a fair bit, so need some sort of help before thinking of base coats etc, I'd imagine?

Any ideas would be much appreciated. :)

Hi

Opi nail envy would be a good choice i would say., not sure about CND alternative , sure they must do something similar. As far as keeping the nail varnish on, use a good base and top coat, lumos is fab and great for this. Im pretty new so someone may have a better answer!

When my nails were peeling I used Jessica Fusion treatment a clear treatment applied every couple of days to the nails, it worked really well. She should also get Solar Oil to use daily. x

I would personally go with a good penetrating oil (Solar oil from CND for example) which traps the moist inside the nail. After she promotes that, then I would go with a nail strengthener (OPI Envy). Strengtheners make dry nails brittle so since she already has brittle nails, it would make it even worse. Linda

CND do a ridge treatment which is self levelling and works well for my Mum. Also, the solar oil is brilliant for getting her nails into better condition.

I use loads of solar oil on my nails. Stops all the peeling and splitting. I'v just gone back to boxing again, with in 2 weeks my nails and cuticles were a mess. My nails splitting badly, cuticles torn etc. Lashings of solar oils straight after and 2/3 times a day has worked wonders. :hug:

I would recommend Jessica Fusion as well. It fuses the layers of the nail plate together and doesn't have a nasty smell either (like most)! hths x

Thank you, everyone. This has given me some ideas of what to suggest.

Hi Deena, I would suggest using Lumos Top and Bottomcoat on her. First of all, it dries in 10-12 minutes totally and has a brilliant shine. Lumos bottomcoat is amazing, you can actually see it bond to the top layer of the nail plate, and dries almost instantly. Then when you apply the first coat of color you can see that drting into the bottomcoat!!! then a second coat of color and the Lumos Topcoat should help a lot! You may find this will help keep the polish on longer for her.

OPI nail envy, they do one especially for peeling nails. :green:

Thanks, everyone. If I get OPI nail envy, is that it? Can she apply that, then base/colour/top coats over the top?

Solar oil and Rejuvacote

Latest posts

Back