Need advice about training

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooie

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm just about to start training as a nail technician but since booking my course with Associate nails who use the Ciate range, I'm worried that I have made the wrong move. Everywhere I look, people want technicians trained in Bio sculpture, its everywhere. Why is it so popular and should I have followed suite and also train in Bio sculpture?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Amanda

Welcome to Geek Amanda
I can't say I've heard of the company you mention, not to say lots of other Geeks haven't though, so you'll probably get lots more replies.
Do you intend on working in a salon after your training or work for yourself mobile?
what you intend doing will depend a lot on which type of gel course you do... if you go mobile then you don't want to be offering the same as everyone else, you'll want to offer something different, be unique in your local area.
I dont' offer gel 'yet' so can't advise as to which one you should use, have a look at some of the threads on here, try a search for 'gel' and 'training' as the key words, you will find lots of threads to look through and hopefully give you a better idea.
hth
x

Hi Amanda & Welcome to the Geek- can't say iv ever heard of the brand you've mentioned either- but its good advice from Sandi about doing a search on here and having a good read first.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

ValencianNails said:
Welcome to Geek Amanda
I can't say I've heard of the company you mention, not to say lots of other Geeks haven't though, so you'll probably get lots more replies.
Do you intend on working in a salon after your training or work for yourself mobile?
what you intend doing will depend a lot on which type of gel course you do... if you go mobile then you don't want to be offering the same as everyone else, you'll want to offer something different, be unique in your local area.
I dont' offer gel 'yet' so can't advise as to which one you should use, have a look at some of the threads on here, try a search for 'gel' and 'training' as the key words, you will find lots of threads to look through and hopefully give you a better idea.
hth
x

welcome!

Sorry, i haven't heard of 'associate' or 'ciate' either - but i do use biosculpture.

If you really can't find any salons that are looking for techs with skills other than bio, then you might want to consider contacting biosculpture and finding out about how you might go about doing a conversion course??

As for salons looking for techs - if you are a competent tech in any gel system, i would have thought that you're exisintg traing and competency would be far more important that which particular system you are trained in - so why not approach a few and see if they would consider training you in biosculpture or contributing towards the cost of a conversion? Ask them if you can demonstrate your proficiency in your current system, so they can see you are a competent tech - and they may be convinced that you are worth the investment.

Biosculpture only offer conversions courses (i believe?), so this would mean all tech's using biosculpture would have had to complete initial training in another system and then convert? Please correct me if I'm wrong someone?!?!

But, above all, before shelling out more money - make sure that this is definitely the system that will be the most lucrative for you in the long-term, it's worth spending time (if you haven't already!) researching your area REALLY thoroughly, to find out exactly what systems all the salons do use.

hth x

Hiya....I am not an expert by any means but I have found that Gels offer very different things....Do as much research into gels as you can b4 making your choice...then ask yourself what do i want from the gel and what do i want from the training..

I have found that not all gels have the same strength...some are buff off and some are soak off....some come in colours and some don't....some are better as a natural nail overlay and some are better for tip and overlay....

The same with Training....Do you want ongoing help and advise....will you want to go onto to do another system....do you need local training....

All of these things are important....IMO....learn as much as you can about gels first then ask these type of questions and your choices will be greatly reduced making it easier to make a decision.

I hope this helps...sorry its long winded but i was once in the same boat as you and couldn't afford to make any mistakes....thank fully i didn't. xxxx

Hi Amanda!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Geek dome! there is plenty of help and advice on offer,i am sure you are going to enjoy it?

Many of us are trained in various systems and from different training schools/company's.
I think you can never have to much training, the varied the better( in all different systems)
I find what suites one doesn't always suit another, so through trial and error and some fabulous training you will find your way.

Don't be to worried if you have already booked with this company, you wont regret it or waste your money. Look at as a step on the ladder of training, you can always get a bit of experience and then do more training with Biosculpture when you feel like it.

Good luck in all you do!
Luv 'n' hugs
xxxxxxxx

hi,

i have trained with THE EDGE but next year im going to try other products aswell as i may get on with one thing better than another, so if you have already booked with one company in time you can do other courses, there are so many out there that it really pays to look about and do some research
good luck and welcome to the nail geek

Hiya

I have heard of Associate and their range..only coz I came across their website.

Personally I would sit down with brochures from all the different companies and ranges and see which one suits you best to start with, and when you start making a bit of money from doing nails you can re-invest in yourself and do other courses too.

Hi guys,

many thanks for the warm welcome and all the lovely helpful messages.

I have already spent several months researching different training and systems and after all that thought that Associate nails was the best. I had originally wanted to go with Bio sculpture but they only offer courses for trained nail techs so was no good to me and I also thought they were very expensive for what they offered.

I have had a lot of conversations with Associate and they have been very helpful, they offer a good ongoing support system and ongoing training, free workshops etc.

I was just worried because as soon as I booked my course, bio sculpture seemed to pop up all over the place!! :)

I plan to work from home and mobile initially but one day would like to run a salon.

I have already booked and paid for my course so fingers crossed all will be well.

I'm glad I found this site, I'm sure i will get a lot out of it :)

Thanks
Amanda

I think it's good that you will be able to offer your future clients something different to your local competition, you don't want to be 'just another tech', being unique has a lot of benefits.
good luck and please let us know how you get on when you do your course.
x

Hi ya Amanda and welcome to the site............
Right you booked and paid for the course, see what you get out of it,there will be lots more courses to follow, this is just a first of many, trust me, and once you have finished your basic training there is nothing stopping you going to other places for more training..and learning different systems too....Enjoy the course and you have us geeks here to support you in your learning road to becomming the best thing that has ever hit Berks......
Good luck xx

Latest posts

Back