Need help from a pro!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Teflette

Reaction score
So I naturally have very blonde hair. My eyelashes and brows are basically white, so I dye them myself at home.

Prior to dying my brows, I use Nair face cream which basically melts the hair off. I leave on for 8 minutes or so. Wipe off. Then I apply the dye to my eyebrows with a paintbrush. I do this process every 2 weeks, as the dye eventually fades with face washing and showers.

My question - Is it safe to apply dye every 2 weeks? Does this increase my chance of cancer down the road? I've been doing this for years, and I'm just worried about the health/safety aspect of it.

I should also mention, that after the hair removal process with Nair, my skin is irritated and sometimes if I get the dye on the skin, it burns for a few minutes. I'm paranoid that the dye is seeping through my skin and is causing damage!

Any advice/tips would be appreciated.

PS - I just buy the box hair dye from the drug store. Nutrisse brand. I only mix a small amount at a time, so a box will last me 8 months to a year.

I don’t think it’s a good idea to apply hair dye to your eyebrows. I’m sure it tells you not to in the instructions.

Can you recommend a good brand of dye for eyebrows? Im in Canada... and I need a colour that is reddish/light brown.

I would say just go to your local beauty salon. I would not advise (as above) to be applying hair tint to your eyebrows.
Your probably getting the stinging because you're applyin nair first. Which is making the area sensitive.

Visit a beauty salon and have them done properly. Far less risk of serious harm that way and they'll teach you how to best look after them. Don't use depilatory cream on them either!

I cannot afford to visit a salon every 2 weeks. They are way over priced. I just need a gentler form of dye I guess.

Overpriced, yet you can't seem to do it right by yourself.
Does it occur to you that salons are not using box dye to tint brows with and since they use proper approved products, they pay a certain price to acquire the products, then use their skill and expertise to apply properly.
So no, it's not overpriced, and if it was done professionally with proper products you wouldn't have to reapply every 2 weeks.

Also, as per box directions, you cannot reuse box dye after it has been opened, even if you re seal somehow. It oxidizes.

Also, as per box directions, you cannot reuse box dye after it has been opened, even if you re seal somehow. It oxidizes.

Hmm... crazy cause it's been working just fine for the last 5 years.

Read the information sheet. Also, it's not working fine if you have to do it every 2 weeks and think it may be causing cancer. It's not a product meant to be near your eyes.

Time to close the thread.
Advice has been offered.
It's up to the OP what she does with the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back