Need some guidance on nail courses

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davalav

Reaction score
Hi All

First, I would like to apologise in advance as I am unsure on how the site works or if I have posted in the correct place and for the essay your about read, as its probably best I explain in full detail.

My name is David and I am from Southend, in Essex. I wondered if someone could help me as I want to surprise my better half with a nail course for her birthday/Xmas present plus the kit that goes with it so she can practice.

Now, she has been massively interested in doing this, as it is something she feels she would massively enjoy and wants to get out of her current job and develop the skills required.

She has been stuck in a job at the bank for nearly 9 years!! (Left school and went straight there) She hates it but is a young single mum (not my daughter) and doesn't have much money, so is unable to fund the course herself.

If its okay, may someone please provide some information or course details and prices as looking online there are literally hundreds and I am sure most do not provide any form of industry standard certification and the last thing I want is to purchase this and for the certification be meaningless and worthless. I have been down that road myself with a false and worthless Apprenticeship.

Any guidance is welcome and again, apologies if this is a little unconventional.

Hi David.
What a lovely thing to do.
OK. You'll need to start with the basics as no credible short Nail Tech course will take her without having the basic manicure certificate.

You are correct. They're so many pop up courses that won't give her the knowledge she needs. Insurance providers will not cover her if she doesn't have a credible qualification.

If she is a single mum and on any type of benefit or tax credit. Some colleges offer financial assistance. For a full blown NVQ you're looking in the region of £500 minimum.

It's not just about applying gels and acrylics. Like some pop up courses will offer. She needs to know the full biology of the nail. Various skin conditions ETC.....have a look here...

http://www.nailandbeautyschool.co.uk/2016-nail-courses/full-service-nail-tech

She can do evening courses too. If she's going to do it. It needs to be right.

And how lucky she is to have a supportive partner. Good for you and good luck. Please pop back and let us know how you got on.

Send her here too. She'll get a wealth of information and help along her new journey

it may be worth looking into an advanced 24 plus loan (presuming your partner is over 24?) this gives you the funding to do a course but only pay it back when you are earning over 21k (at something like £7 month!) i did this when i did my CIBTAC diploma in Creative Makeup, i also applied for a second one as you are allowed up to 4 (one after the other not at the same time) to do nail technology, unfortunately the course never went ahead and i have done a private course with a friend who is a tutor for 1 day a week for 5 weeks (covered the skin conditions, nail anatomy health and safety, intro to sculpting, application of tips and acrylic etc) it was very comprehensive and included a full kit with CJP Products. we arent allowed to mention prices on here but i paid a deposit for it and then each lesson paid money off the bill. The certificate i received is accredited by Beauty Direct and i now have full insurance to cover me for nails!

Last edited:
In an ideal world yes college would be best but there are some very good training centres out there that offer short courses in Nails. When looking for courses with training centres look for who their courses are accredited by i.e one of the most popular is The Guild of Beauty Therapists, if you see there logo on their website you are safe. You can also look on The Guild of Beauty Therapists website for approved training centres. I personally have attended UK Beauty Schools of which I know they have a training centre in Essex, I have attended their courses in Chatham. Most of their one day courses are around £160 I think? You pay a £50 deposit to book the course then you have to study the Health and Safety and course work online and complete the test at the end prior to attending the training day. You pay the balance of the course fee a week before the training day. You can also purchase the kit through them and they give it to the student on the day of the training.

In an ideal world yes college would be best but there are some very good training centres out there that offer short courses in Nails. When looking for courses with training centres look for who their courses are accredited by i.e one of the most popular is The Guild of Beauty Therapists, if you see there logo on their website you are safe. You can also look on The Guild of Beauty Therapists website for approved training centres. I personally have attended UK Beauty Schools of which I know they have a training centre in Essex, I have attended their courses in Chatham. Most of their one day courses are around £160 I think? You pay a £50 deposit to book the course then you have to study the Health and Safety and course work online and complete the test at the end prior to attending the training day. You pay the balance of the course fee a week before the training day. You can also purchase the kit through them and they give it to the student on the day of the training.
I have also completed courses with UK Beauty Schools but in Chatham. They have lovely tutors, small classes and even offer courses at a discounted rate if you buy in "bulk".
What a lovely thought, she will be over the moon!

Latest posts

Back