Negative review anxiety

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JanVenus

Reaction score
I recently had a client ask to book in for wedding makeup trial for herself and 2 bridesmaids and we set a day (2 weeks before the wedding) but she wasn't sure of a time - I asked her to discuss with her friends and get back in touch with a time and send me her address (I'm mobile).

A week goes by without her contacting me and I have another client asking for a treatment on the day that she partially booked, I ask that client to wait until I confirm. Another week goes by, so I confirm with my other client.

On the day the bride texts me to ask when I'll be there. I tried to explain that, as she didn't confirm any details (how am I supposed to be somewhere when I don't know where I'm going?) I had booked another client and would be unavailable. So, now I'm an awful person who has ruined her wedding and she's going to leave bad reviews for me everywhere she can. Every time my phone pings I feel my stomach tighten thinking "Is this where I'm going to have to defend myself?".

Does this kind of thing happen often and how do you get over the fear?

Just to add, I've had experience with clients not contacting me to cancel - one even waited until I was on her doorstep with all my equipment before telling me she didn't need my services, so someone ceasing contact isn't unusual.

Horrible story, I'm sorry to hear that...At this point the only thing you can do is appologize to her on the sites that she left bad reviews on. I would write that you're sorry, and that as a mobile beautician, you need to have clients confirm their appointments, along with the address, which she didn't provide.

People shift the blame on others ALL the time, and its horrible. Keep focus on your returning clients! I've had someone come in to my barbershop a few years ago, claiming that I cut their hair and I used dirty scissors, and now they have a very bad infection. This guy went online and wrote bad reviews on me EVERYWHERE. Turns out he was never even in my barbershop before.

I think the bride was just irresponsible and wanted to shift the blame on you. Dont take it to heart!

You need to toughen up and not take these things so personally. You also need to charge a non refundable deposit for wedding trial bookings. Had you done that she would have understood that no fee equals no booking. She would be expecting to pay for the church/registry office/reception etc. so why not your services?

She's obviously gone a bit Bridezilla expecting everyone to jump to attention when she barks but really, don't waste any more time worrying about it.

If she posts a bad review, just calmly reply that it was a shame that she forgot to confirm her booking with you and that you had to let the slot go and then wish her well.

I'm used to ... erm ... "challenging" customers, I'm still part time in retail and at least once a week I get blamed for everything that has gone wrong in someone's life lol but in the store I have my colleagues and manager to back me up and support me - with my own business the same support isn't there and it's a little daunting knowing one wrong word could make or break my business.

Latest posts

Back