New here, have an issue with my toenail. Please help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ItsJustMike

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm Mike, and I've been looking for a forum with people that could help me with an issue I'm having with one of my big toenails. I hope I'm coming to the right place with this...

Anyway, this one nail always grows out differently than my other ones. It often has a bit of a horizontal dent/ridge, which always grows out, but then another one appears. It also often has a vertical white line, and other abnormalities. I've seen a podiatrist before (I had an injury on this nail, but this issue has been going on before that), and he kept saying to let the nail grow out, but a new ridge always comes back.

Here's a pic of what it currently looks like (sorry if it's gross, I know men's feet aren't appealing):

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=i74qv7&s=9#.WfprR2hSzIU

Whenever I see my podiatrist, he uses some tool to remove the white line, and the little white spot in the horizontal ridge. I was wondering if anyone here knew how I can remove it myself at home without having to pay a fortune to see a podiatrist...maybe a nail buffer? I think the nail is perhaps permanently damaged and will always grow out like this, but I know there's a way to at least get rid of the white line...

This is a big issue for me because I walk around barefoot or in flip flops a lot, so I like my toenails to look presentable.

thanks for any help!

This forum is for Nail Technicians and we aren't supposed to diagnose medical problems, but we should be able to identify common problems on nails and refer the client to a medical practitioner if required.
The white streak is normal, but the horizontal groove looks like Beau's lines* to me. Before you visit a nail technician, you should get the "okay" from your doctor, or podiatrist before any nail technician can apply an enhancement as there could be an underlying condition. The ridges on your nail plate is damage done to the matrix (you mentioned an injury you had) and you can't do anything about it apart from seeing a nail technician and apply an enhancement over the nail plate as long as the doctor is okay with it.

* Disclaimer - Not a diagnosis - see a doctor or podiatrist :)

This forum is for Nail Technicians and we aren't supposed to diagnose medical problems, but we should be able to identify common problems on nails and refer the client to a medical practitioner if required.
The white streak is normal, but the horizontal groove looks like Beau's lines* to me. Before you visit a nail technician, you should get the "okay" from your doctor, or podiatrist before any nail technician can apply an enhancement as there could be an underlying condition. The ridges on your nail plate is damage done to the matrix (you mentioned an injury you had) and you can't do anything about it apart from seeing a nail technician and apply an enhancement over the nail plate as long as the doctor is okay with it.

Thanks for your reply!

I did see a podiatrist, and he didn't even know what Beau's lines were when I mentioned it to him. He said the groove will grow out with the nail, and it always does, but then a new one comes in. So yes, I'm sure the nail is permanently damaged somehow (I had this even before the injury I mentioned), but I know there's a way to get rid of the white streak, at least temporarily...and the white mark in the horizontal groove. at least that would make it more aesthetically pleasing.

should I use a nail buffer?

Also, if I went for this enhancement, what would it do exactly?

Applying an enhancement means to beautify the appearance of a nail. That is, to conceal imperfections but this should be done as long as the doctor is fine with it.

No.

by beautify the appearance, does that mean it would conceal the white line and groove, and look like a regular nail? and this is something I'd get at a nail salon by a technician? I can't do it myself?

by beautify the appearance, does that mean it would conceal the white line and groove, and look like a regular nail?

It is possible to have a pink enhancement to match the nail bed and make it smoother in appearance.

...and this is something I'd get at a nail salon by a technician?

Only if they are qualified to carry out the service. Check with your local nail beauty salon for details since you are based in Vermont.

...I can't do it myself?

I don't recommend it and I wouldn't recommend getting anything from amazon or ebay for that matter as you don't know where the product comes from.
Applying enhancements requires the right tools, knowledge and training and you will end up causing more damage to yourself.

This is my last post on this thread.

It is possible to have a pink enhancement to match the nail bed and make it smoother in appearance.

Only if they are qualified to carry out the service. Check with your local nail beauty salon for details since you are based in Vermont.

I don't recommend it and I wouldn't recommend getting anything from amazon or ebay for that matter as you don't know where the product comes from.
Applying enhancements requires the right tools, knowledge and training and you will end up causing more damage to yourself.

This is my last post on this thread.

I'm sorry if my questions are annoying you, I just want to get this issue resolved as I'm pretty ocd about it.

See a dermatologist first or another podiatrist as the first one didn’t seem to know what was going on. You might have an underlying condition you don’t know about.
If after that you still want an enhancement to cover the damage, get the doctor’s ok, and go to a qualified nail tech to apply it properly. You can’t do it alone as you lack proper knowledge

See a dermatologist first or another podiatrist as the first one didn’t seem to know what was going on. You might have an underlying condition you don’t know about.
If after that you still want an enhancement to cover the damage, get the doctor’s ok, and go to a qualified nail tech to apply it properly. You can’t do it alone as you lack proper knowledge

I guess I can do that. I was hoping there was something at the pharmacy I could buy to at least get rid of the white line and spot by myself. Every time I go to my podiatrist he uses a tool to get rid of that temporarily. probably an electric nail buffer or something. I don't think I can get rid of the horizontal ridge that tends to crop up, and that's fine. it's the white line that annoys me...and I'd rather do it myself than spend $100 seeing a new podiatrist (I'm not insured on this)...

I can see some slight discolouration under that ridge (onycholysis perhaps?) so having a test done would be advisable.

I guess I can do that. I was hoping there was something at the pharmacy I could buy to at least get rid of the white line and spot by myself. Every time I go to my podiatrist he uses a tool to get rid of that temporarily. probably an electric nail buffer or something. I don't think I can get rid of the horizontal ridge that tends to crop up, and that's fine. it's the white line that annoys me...and I'd rather do it myself than spend $100 seeing a new podiatrist (I'm not insured on this)...
Check this out, last post
http://www.salongeek.com/threads/ibx-restore-repair.246975/page-78#post-2597631

Find a nail techncian to apply it. You need proper training for it.

Latest posts

Back