New here! Wella Illumina questions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emily Wagner

Reaction score
Hi. I have a very dear client who has fallen on hard times and can't afford to come in for color right now. She's a natural 6/7 that tends to turn brassy so we've been using wella 7/1 for a long time. She said she contacted wella about using illumina 7/81 to just deposit color/whole head app. They told her she could use this with color touch 1.9% emulsion 6 vol. does this sound right? No grey. For whatever reason she's dead set on trying illumina. Sounds like she almost just wants to tone/deposit. No lifting. TIA. I posted pictures of where she's at now and where she wants to be. Any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_7390.JPG
    IMG_7390.JPG
    729.7 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_7391.JPG
    IMG_7391.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 88
Hi. I have a very dear client who has fallen on hard times and can't afford to come in for color right now. She's a natural 6/7 that tends to turn brassy so we've been using wella 7/1 for a long time. She said she contacted wella about using illumina 7/81 to just deposit color/whole head app. They told her she could use this with color touch 1.9% emulsion 6 vol. does this sound right? No grey. For whatever reason she's dead set on trying illumina. Sounds like she almost just wants to tone/deposit. No lifting. TIA. I posted pictures of where she's at now and where she wants to be. Any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated.
If you start off at a 6/7a 7/81 isn't really going to work to its full potential, as far as I know you can only use welloxon developers with illumina and not the colour touch developers. Also to my recollection illumina is more expensive to buy, it's considered a couture service, so it won't be any cheaper, it will be more expensive?
The picture you attached looks like it's highlighted and then re coloured?

Wella wouldn't give out technical colour advice to a non hairdresser.

If you start off at a 6/7a 7/81 isn't really going to work to its full potential, as far as I know you can only use welloxon developers with illumina and not the colour touch developers. Also to my recollection illumina is more expensive to buy, it's considered a couture service, so it won't be any cheaper, it will be more expensive?
The picture you attached looks like it's highlighted and then re coloured?
She got it on eBay I guess that's why it's cheaper . It's expired. I told her I couldnt help her with that,as a rule I typically don't give clients personal/at home advice further than the take home olaplex kit but she's been my client for 9 years and been very loyal. If she wanted to come in for single process or a glaze to even out I would do that at a discount but I couldn't in good conscience allow her to just go ahead with expired color and advice she supposedly got from wella. I think it's just the picture. I told her to go outside for natural light cause the first pics she sent looked straight up red. She has some lighter parts to her hair but she's never had highlights or bleach. That's her natural color. Usually use 7aa 632 cause she's likes the ashiness and hates her red undertones cause she has skin redness issues. She says she's just gonna try box dye in a light ash brown. Feel bad for her but I'd feel worse if I told her to go ahead and try and it ended up awful then she'd have to pay to have it corrected and if she doesn't have money for color she certainly doesn't have it for correction. Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated.

Wella wouldn't give out technical colour advice to a non hairdresser.
tel:+1-800-347-4424 She called this number and said they have an option for non professional consumers. I didn't call to confirm as we have them on line dial at work. She said she spoke with a rep and asked about using it with just wella 30vol (That her sister had) and they instructed her do not use with koleston and to just deposit the 7/81 with the 1.9 emulsion.

And just to add, we don't carry illumina at our salon yet, a few of us have been begging for awhile. That's why I asked here as I have no personal experience with it but have heard good things.

tel:+1-800-347-4424 She called this number and said they have an option for non professional consumers. I didn't call to confirm as we have them on line dial at work. She said she spoke with a rep and asked about using it with just wella 30vol (That her sister had) and they instructed her do not use with koleston and to just deposit the 7/81 with the 1.9 emulsion.

Wow, that's quite shocking considering that you have strict cosmetology licensing laws in the US.
I'd trust that they wouldn't advise her on which pro colour to use if she was based in the UK. and had contacted the U.K. helpline.

Latest posts

Back