New mobile beauty therapist in need of some help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LinzBar

Reaction score
Hello everyone

I'm in need of some advice please?!......

I'm about to start up as a mobile beauty therapist, I've already got my massage/beauty couch and pedicure stool. I've been looking at lots of beauty cases/trolleys but I'm sure of the best option, any ideas? I'm thinking I need quite a bit set i.e. at least 3 sections, so I can store nails stuff in the one, waxing in another and facial stuff in another. But I'm still not sure if everything will fit! Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Also, what do other mobile therapists do for a manicure table? I've seen some on ebay that look ideal and fold down, so should be fairly easy to put in the car. But I'm starting to think how much stuff I'm going to need, depending on treatment, and how hard it's going to be carting it around everywhere!

And my last question for today is about the self employment accounts/tax etc. I'm in full time employment and planning on doing the beauty as part time to start with - I'm not quite sure where to start to be honest, so a point in the right direction would be great! I've looked briefly at the Inland Revenue website, but there is so much information to sift through.

Thanks in advance.
Lindsey x :rolleyes:

Hi Linz - welcome to the site, and to the business!! I'm a mobile tech in Scotland and got started last year. I'm just now finding my feet and am still learning every day, but I'm confident and my skills are speaking for themselves. I have lots of happy clients and am just now working on expanding as I'll have more time after September (my little one is off to nursery!).

I know it's pretty overwhelming to get started - the sheer vastness of the industry, and the huge array of supplies and equipment can take over the most sane of people. Still - first things first.

1) Have you (or are you working on) completing your training and getting your insurance? Until that's in place, you'll be very limited in what you can do. Where are you taking your training?

2) Can you find a business start-up course in your area? I went on a course for two days a week for a month, and it was invaluable. It covered business plans, marketing and advertising, websites, Inland Revenue, basic record keeping and bookkeeping - essentially everything you need to know to get started. It was a great networking opportunity as well. A lot of these courses are FREE as well, so definately look around!

3) Find a Women Into Business group in your area - these are invaluable!! Great networking, and you get to spend time with people who've already made some steps into their own businesses.

Your profile says you are from West Midlands - I found these sites that might help:

Prowess : Promoting Women's Enterprise Support

Business Start-Up West Midlands: Business Start-Up courses in West Midlands: Business Start-Up evening courses West Midlands: West Midlands

4) Banking - this is only a suggestion and I know there's lots out there, but I like Abbey Business Banking. No fees unless you are banking more than £60K (not likely in my case!!) and they have been really good for me so far. No fees is nice! I have a chequing account and a reserve account (to tuck my tax money into).

5) Equipment and Supplies

Now, this is the one that everyone gets excited about (as it's hard to get excited about Inland Revenue!!) Again, do your research, ask lots of questions here, and don't sink a lot of money into anything until you are SURE you it will earn it's keep. I'm not saying use only cheap items - far from it! I'm saying don't buy a lot of stuff that will sit unused in a wardrobe when you decide it wasn't right for you.

You have a pedi stool and a massage table. Good start. I don't take my massage table every time I go out as it doesn't fit well in the boot of my car. I only take it when I need it.

There's lots of differing opinions about how to carry your stuff around. A lot of people like "bucket bags" but personally, I don't find them big enough for what I do because I offer lots of different services (if I only did L&P, one might work for me!).

In this thread ( http://www.salongeek.com/consumer-queries/74976-mobile-beauty-business.html ), I outlined how I carry my stuff around. But you have to use what works for you! I've used a large rolling duffle bag, and also an aluminium trolley - both had positives and negatives. The trolley needed another brace to be screwed onto the bottom to keep it from toppling over, and the duffle was too heavy to be practical because I tended to keep EVERYTHING but the kitchen sink in it. It sounds like a cool idea to have everything in one kit, but you will accumulate SO MUCH STUFF there's no way it will ever fit in one bag, so just keep it real and keep it as organised as possible.

One thing - I would keep your wax kit separate from the rest of your supplies. If you are mobile, the chance is high that you will be transporting wax that is fully melted and in a very liquid state... it's an accident looking for a place to happen. I had a spillage on my dining room floor and it took two days to put it right (thank God I don't have carpet in there - it would have been a write-off). I like to use a plastic bin with a lid - I wrap up the wax pot in an old towel that can handle a spillage or two, pack the other supplies around the pot to keep it snug, and make sure that the box is carried UPRIGHT and not just tossed in the car. Even if the lid is on the wax pot, accidents still happen. Some wax got splashed inside the lid on a recent trip, and then hardened... I had to completely reheat the pot to get the lid off again.

Can you imagine if the wax seeped into your nail and facial supplies, and into the boot of your car? Not good. Career-endingly bad, in fact. Don't risk it!!

While you don't want to show up at a client's house looking like a bag lady, I find it helps to keep your supplies a bit separate. Keep waxing with waxing, nails with nails and facial with facial. You aren't going to get many clients that want everything done at one session, so don't carry what you don't have to. Your back will thank you!! Plus, if your client decides that they'd like a facial treatment after their pedicure, you can always make a quick dash to your car if needed. Just be flexible, and things work out fine.

As far as your manicure table, I would go ahead and get one (watch your prices, though - there's a lot of difference here), but keep in mind that if your clients are already having a service that you've brought the massage table in for, just use that. Put a towel and some couch roll over the end you're using and you're good to go! Why carry two tables? Some techs ask their clients to use the ironing board, but to each their own. I prefer the size of my mani table, but I won't drag it along if I already have my massage table up.

Sorry - I'm babbling tonight!

PM me if you need to talk - I was in your shoes last year, and know how exciting and scary it is. I'm off to bed now.

I've workied mobile for 4 years now and although it can be a pain carrying everything around with you, if you are organised this shouldn't be touch much of a worry.

I've noticed over the years that for instance my once small nail bag has manifested into a stanley tool box. Which is great as i have all my nail things in one box with no need to make numerous trips back and forward to the car. It cost me i think about £30 definately no more. In this i have everything for L&P, Gel including light, desk towel, kitchen roll, and all prep products and tools and client records. i do keep my spa products seperate. These come in their own little carry case anyways so this isn't aq problem.

I have a separate stanley tool box £25 from wilkinsons for all my waxing products, wax pot, creams etc, including 2 large towels.

Facials i don't do much of. So this range i keep to a minimum and only order when needed so i don't have a surplus stock going out of date.

Shop around for your nail table i paid £70 for mine off the internet. I'm sorry i can't remember which one though.

Inform the inland revenue of when you will be starting to trade. You will also need insurance and a business bank account. I think all offer free banking for about 18months then yu are charged. Think about your pricing and marketing. How are yu are going to get clients. Advertising can be expensive so use it wisely.

Think about how far you will be travelling and incoperaqte this into your pricing. Not just for fuel but also the time spent travelling.

Lastly but by no means least you should be thinking abut yur own safety. Are you prepared to take male clients. Don't ever go to someones house by text alone. Speak to them and make sure they are female. I've had texts from men trying to pass themselves off as female wanting massage and the like. I always request that they call me so i can speak to them directly. I had one 'lady' texting about intamate waxing, & asking what if i wore stockings under my wedding dress!! i sent 'her' a text asking her to call me & surprise surprise 'she' never did :eek: So yu need to be aware of who you are visiting before you go

Hi Hun,
Good luck with your new business venture. I can't add anything to what has already been written, these girls really seem to know all the ins and outs.
I did try mobile for a short time, but I think I am too much of a wimp for it. Really it was because I knew I had a spare room at home and decided to start a home salon, that has worked for me. I just couldn't cope with lugging all my gear in and out of houses. Plus I can't stand smoke, but they still had to light a fag up and say I'll blow it away from you.
Always check if it is a house or flat, in a house you want to work downstairs, but watch out for flats on the 3rd floor with no lift!!! You would be half dead before you start.
Always tell someone where you are going, try to keep a double diary with contact numbers and client's address in. If you ever feel uncomfortable, just say I need to make a call to check hubby has picked the kids up or something along those lines. Have a code line / word that lets the person you are calling know if you need help or that you are fine. If they have access to the 2nd diary they can rescue you. I know I sound dramatic, but doing all this will probably mean you will never have a worry.
I wish you every sucess, enjoy what you do, then it makes it all worth it.
Lotsa luv x :hug:

Latest posts

Back