new new to nails help sooo needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sambapink

Reaction score
hey there first time to send a message, could really do with a prep talk to keep my spirits up!! did a 3 day course in november at carlton institute windsor (very good but would nt recommended intense courses) doing my portfolio for nvq want to do conversion to creative once i ve got NVQ. but im starting to flag confidence wise. starting to think i can t do nails!!!:cry: im confident with man/ped confident with applying tips its just the blooming overlays, gels i can do and look great some stay on great some don't!! struggling with l & P just can 't get technique right don't even start me on pinks and whites!! im really passionate about doing this but someone else tell me they were rubbish at the start and thought they'd never be able to do it !!!!!!! thanks a million for taking the timeto read this bless your heart!!:)

hi

we all had to start somewhere, just keep practising and practising. i started with gel and got great results, my first attempts at l & p were pants eventually it just clicked though and now it love it more than gel

i was absolutely terrible when i first started!! if it hadn't been for the fact that i am very stubborn and also have a long-suffering husband (who let me practice on him!!), i would have been in real trouble. just keep on trying, have a good read through the tutorials on here, put a list of questions together and ask!! someone, somewhere is bound to know the answer!!!

We all have to start somewhere, my first nails were terrible! I have filed through nail plates, burnt clients with friction and the uv lamp, my acrylic was like mount everest and my clients put up with it all!!! I have felt like giving up so many times.

16 years later, i still love nails but still make mistakes, still need help and will forever be learning!!

Hi Laura,

Listen don't worry yourself too much. When I first started L&P my first set of nails looked like something out of Wallace and Grommet! :o They were awful. I remember feeling just like you do now.:cry: How ever the one thing that you can do is practice practice practice.:wink2: You've probably heard it all before, right? :rolleyes: But it's true.
Some people are lucky and they seem to get it straight away.:green: But people like me had to work my butt off to get the results I was looking for. At the time you feel like you're never going to get it , but the more nails you do, beleive me, the better you'll get.
Eventually the penny will drop and you'll begin to feel confident with your work.:biggrin: Trust me it will pay off .
Believe in yourself, work hard, and you'll get it.
YOU CAN DO IT, LAURA!!!!!!!!
Good Luck to you.
Jules:D

Hey, havn't we all been there! I too wonder what i'm doing sometimes! even on my masters qualification day! I went to pieces and kept saying to my client what am I doing here! Keep doing what you know and practice what your not sure on and after all the hard work look back at what you've achieved and smile
icon_surprised.gif
You cared enough to try and you improved for trying! that makes you a master in your own right!

I never thought in a million years that I would grow to love L&P! when I first qualified my hubby sign wrote my car... looked like a clowns car!! had all sorts of ads all over it for nail technician, manicure, fibreglass etc. I begged him not to put acrylic on it cos I was so scared someone would ask me to do it!

I used to do only fibreglass but it didnt last very well on my heavy handed clients, so I tried L&P again. Got my friend to be guinea pig for me and she still is 3 years later. Its probably only the last 6 months that Ive begun to feel good about my L&P and not panick if the phone rings and someone wants a set. Now I just worry that they will be pleased with them, they will stay on etc so if its not one thing its another!

I tried everything I could think of to get out of L&P. Fibreglass, gel, then white tips with a raised fin for 'perfect product placement' lol, but at the end of the day the only real way to learn properly is to keep on and on at it until you get it right. I very rarely use anything else now and Ive just had to sit and do myself a set of gel as I have a client coming on Sat and I couldnt remember the procedure!! xx

Latest posts

Back