New services help, nails or tan?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redlottie13

JUST BE NICE
Reaction score
Hi all I want to do some more training.

Partly because I can't find a good enough nail technician....and partly because I want to increase my skill set.

Debating between spray tanning and acrylic & gel nails?

What's the best for boosting salon turnover?

What brands and training do you recommend?

What are the pros and cons?

Any advise welcomed. Xx

That really depends as both can boost your income. From the training cost I think that doing tanning training is not as expensive as nail training. I did my tanning training through Sweetsquared with Moroccan Tan and the training was fantastic and set me up really well for going out and doing tans. I also got my kit through them. I have since tried out different tanning brands like Sunescape, Exposed, Suntana and have now taken on Norvell as I really like them. I didn't like Suntana as the Solution was more watery and didn't give an even coverage. Sunescape is very similar to Moroccan Tan as it is also a 2 hour wash'n wear tan. Exposed is a lovely tan, but I found that the guidance colour is paler and as I'm mobile sometimes the lighting at my clients isn't great and I struggled to see the colour. Whereas MT and Norvell both have got a great guidance colour and both are very natural looking tans and have a gradual wear off. My advice would be to phone up various suppliers and find out about their training packages and let them send you a few samples so you can try them out before you decide. Good luck with your plans

You won't be a million miles away from the Ellisons academy's in Coventry & Birmingham. I did my st Tropez training with them and it was really good plus you get support afterwards if you need it.

If you shop around you can buy the kit you need reasonably.

Nails are very expensive to get set up in. CND training is excellent.

I'd do the tanning - it's quick to learn, and quick to do. :)
I got the St tropez kit, which included training, so the start up cost is very reasonable, and you can pretty much crack on the very next day!:p

As a hairdresser, work out what you take per hour doing hair, as opposed to carrying out another service.

For instance, if you charge £40.00 an hour for a haircut....would you be able to match that doing nails?
You would be quite slow initially, and it would take some time to get REALLY good at it! :oops:
Factor in the start up costs......it really mounts up when you look at all that goes with it.

I'd say it's much easier to be good at tanning than good at nails. Much quicker to learn and not nearly so much potential for error. Just my thoughts

Why can't you do both? It's not that hard.

As I'm not beauty ....im a hairdresser.
I don't really want to be Jack of all trades master of none. I may however change my mind if I keep interviewing idiots

I would go for tanning first, its easier than learning to do enhancements and a quicker income.

Tanning appointments are 30 mins long max so you can do more thans in the space of time that you would be doing nails.

If you wanted to go down the nail route then I would suggest doing a mani/pedi course for the basics and then move onto gel polish. If you like doing gel manicures/pedicures then move onto enhancements.

Nails are alot of practice to be up at a good standard, especially l&p and gel.

I'm a hairdresser and spray tan tech. And I have mastered both.

Do you do shellac / gel polish ? I'd go down that route if not as it's quick and easy to learn , low start up , very popular and something you could add into a hair appointment during development. Much better return on shellac than artificial extensions. Bear in mind with tanning the space you would need , I use a tent in a multipurpose treatment room and it's so much messing around , I also have an extractor but there in inevitably still some overspray and the room needs decorating more frequently - also I find spray tanning very seasonal.

Great point about the space I would need to redecorate a room I have ....which will be quite a lot as an up front cost x

Latest posts

Back