New to the nail world

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IlonaW

Reaction score
Hi there! I am a licensed nail tech, but I have been doing hair the last few years and never worked in a nail salon, I really want to do nails but I have zero experience outside of what I learned in school years ago. I bought a practice hand and started practicing acrylic application. But I'm very worried that I won't have the confidence to apply for a job, I worry about being able to find a salon that will find me worth the time for extra training that I'm sure I need. So how do I go about applying?? I need help :( thanks in advance.

Freebies, do nails for your friends and family and take plenty of pictures to build a portfolio. It also might be an idea to set up a Facebook page where they can leave reviews of your work to further support any applications.

That's a very good idea! I hadn't thought of bringing in a portfolio, I thought it woulD be a "go in and apply let's see what happens" thing.

It's the best way to show a prospective employer what you can do, what your skill level is and what sets you apart from others that might apply. It also might be a good plan to have someone you can take pictures of after you've done their nails and then do a two or three week later shoot of growth, any (or lack of ;) ) lifting and infill xx

So how would I go about telling them on one hand I'm not "terrible" but that I still need training? Because I don't know the methods to all the shapes out there, and I can't wait too long to start applying, I've been out of work 3 months almost

Tell them you want to expand on your experience to bring it up to professional levels :)

Ugh, that's so good...I'm not good with interviews and thinhs of that nature @..@ I stumble and don't know what to say. You're very good c:

I'm great with words when I have time to think of what I want to say lol - catch me on the hop and I'm a stuttering mess!

So how should I go about job inquiry? Do I ask if they are accepting applications from new nail techs?? Or is there another way to say it... because I feel like saying I have no experience is a negative :<

I think it depends on you - you won't get a job as a nail tech right off the bat with no experience, but maybe just ask if they're looking for a junior tech or receptionist with extras?

Well I mean, I have experience from school and I practice on a fake hand...I just don't have a lot of people practice i guess....but I guess that probably doesn't make a difference huh...

Not when it comes to clients, no. As I said before, work on your friends and family, take pictures, get used to dealing with people. That's the experience that any salon will look for, someone who knows how to do nails and deal with real people.

Yeah, I've been in the customer service industry for over 10 years, and I did hair for 2 years so I am familiar with the salon setting... I just really want to do nails lol xD and thanks so much for all of your input, its actually been a big help for me ;-; I appreciate you.

No problem, best of luck xx

Hi IlonaW,

How exciting that you're being proactive in taking the next step in your beauty career.

Nail trainers are fantastic to get more practice in nail shaping and nail art techniques and is also great for improving your speed.

Always look for ways to improve your techniques such as online tutorials by qualified nail technicians /educators and getting information from this fabulous forum.

The one thing a nail trainer doesn't show you is client contraindications, buffing and filing pressure and longevity of your enhancements on real clients.

Who did you quality with? There is always the option of getting one to one skill building lessons from a qualified educator who can tell you where you need to improve.

As the previous poster mentioned the best way to build a portfolio is advertise to friends or family, or even Gum tree or buy and sell sites that you are offering free nail enhancements that way you can get photos of your work to show to potential employers. You could even charge a small fee to cover your costs.

Have a look on Google at ideas on how to photograph your work with regards to lighting, hand positioning etc. As a bad picture could also let you down.

Lastly always tell the employer what you can do, what you plan on doing and what you have done rather than what you can't do.

Lastly show your enthusiasm, employers can also help you improve your skills if they like your attitude and see potential.

Good luck!

That helps a lot!! I don't know anyone in the industry to get my foot in the door so it's been a struggle trying to fnd out what I need to do. I'm glad I found this forum, it's helped a lot! I have a date with a friend of mine this Friday to do her nails :D

Latest posts

Back