Newbie advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikpix

Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm hoping to get some advice. Wanting to train as a nail tech to be mobile.
Signed up to a nail tech course through Holistic Training Courses thinking they would be good as accredited by The Guild and BABTAC. However the Mani and Pedi course lasted only about 3 hrs each, I only had the owner to practice on, once. No other students. I then did a gel polish one with her, same thing just a few hours. She couldn't give me my certificate for that as her printer wasn't working. The next one was acrylics. It wasn't booked in on a specific date as she had to go away so said she'd be in touch when she was back. I have been chasing her for months. She sends the odd reply that she will get back to me and that she hasn't received my messages. I am fed up of chasing her and am out of pocket :( so I have a few questions. She did give me certificates for mani and pedi. Is that enough to say I'm qualified? And that I can just go and do top up courses on gels acrylics etc? Or do I have to bite the bullet and start from scratch? And if so am I better just going with a branded course such as Gelish or Opi etc and which would be most recommended? I currently use Gelish and Opi but am open to change if any others are more recommended and which brands are most sought after by clients? Any advice for a complete novice would be much appreciated. Many thanks! X

Hi everyone I'm hoping to get some advice. Wanting to train as a nail tech to be mobile.
Signed up to a nail tech course through Holistic Training Courses thinking they would be good as accredited by The Guild and BABTAC. However the Mani and Pedi course lasted only about 3 hrs each, I only had the owner to practice on, once. No other students. I then did a gel polish one with her, same thing just a few hours. She couldn't give me my certificate for that as her printer wasn't working. The next one was acrylics. It wasn't booked in on a specific date as she had to go away so said she'd be in touch when she was back. I have been chasing her for months. She sends the odd reply that she will get back to me and that she hasn't received my messages. I am fed up of chasing her and am out of pocket :( so I have a few questions. She did give me certificates for mani and pedi. Is that enough to say I'm qualified? And that I can just go and do top up courses on gels acrylics etc? Or do I have to bite the bullet and start from scratch? And if so am I better just going with a branded course such as Gelish or Opi etc and which would be most recommended? I currently use Gelish and Opi but am open to change if any others are more recommended and which brands are most sought after by clients? Any advice for a complete novice would be much appreciated. Many thanks! X

I've personally not heard of this training company, if they are accredited by the guild & BABTAC then I would contact them to let them know you were not happy with the standards of training. Your certificates are there to say you have completed the relevant training for that subject and you have "passed" therefore "qualified". You do sound like your not happy with the training you received - unfortunately there are lots of these day courses that have managed to become accredited by BABTAC/ the guild but the trainers are not very good. This company however seems to be avoiding you with regards to your acrylic course - if you have paid for it I would contact them for a refund, if you still do not get any where then trading standards is the next place to contact - did you receive any T&c's upon payment?
I can recommend sweet squared for education & products, also OPI have lovely educators. Let us know how you get on x

Thank you, I will have a look at the t&c's.
I feel I know enough of the process of how to perform a basic mani and pedi but that's about it. Don't know enough about nail anatomy/problems/cures how to do extensions/tips etc.
Feel like I've not used my hard earned money very well and wish I had known to come on here in the first place for advice.
I'll contact the guild and BABTAC then and see what they say.

Thanks for the recommendations.
With regards to what products to buy, are Opi popular among clients? And Gelish? I'm just trying to decide what to use as I aim to be mobile I don't want to have too many different choices but I want to hold the most popular normal polish and gels. Looking at shellac I wasn't sure they have as many colour choices as some others but if everyone seems to want shellac then I would use their products.

Latest posts

Back