Newbie nail technician - clients' nails going wrong

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sparkle_Nails

Reaction score
Heya,

I'm a trained make-up artists but haven't practiced in a long time. As I love having nail extensions and pretty colours, I did an evening course (over three nights) back in January to learn how to do gel nails and tips to be able to do my own nails. After doing this for a few months, my friends started asking me to do their nails and this has turned into a bit of a business now!

Things have really taken off and I've had about eight appointments a week for the last two weeks - which is great. As I'm relatively inexperienced in gel nails, I'm not charging as much as other nail technicians in the area and am explaining to all my clients that I'm newly trained etc.

The problem is that I'm having a lot of issues with chipped and peeling polishes and lifting too :( I'm spending a lot of time having to go back to clients to fix problems. To be fair, I think I've taken on a bit more than I can chew and am rather overwhelmed with all the work I'm having to do.

I guess I've just had my confidence knocked with all of the issues I'm having with nails. I like to give a good service and hate disappointing people. I've not had any clients be mean to me or anything and I'm doing my best to repair any damage free of charge. I've only had one lady refuse the help I offered (which was to take off her polish and re-do the whole application for free) and everyone else has been very understanding.

I also think the products I was using were pretty terrible too - as they were the ones from my training course and weren't branded so I've got all new BRANDED products and am explaining this to previous clients who might be having problems...

Is it normal to have these issues when you're starting out?? Feeling a bit sad :(

Thanks xx

I'm not going to be any help at all but I just wanted to say thank you!!!

I'm in a very similar situation and have just posted a thread almost identical to yours.

I feel a bit better knowing I'm not the only one struggling!! Chin up and hug sent, it can only get better right?!! [emoji1] x

Aw thanks! That makes me feel much better too :) x

Was your training accredited? It sounds like a very short time to train to do nails. Many geeks on here have done short training courses with little or no support and have had to go on to do further training to iron out issues.

If you think this could be a good business move, I'd suggest doing a really thorough course with excellent products and go for it.

I can't really help with your issues as I don't do gel nails. Trained in them but don't offer them .

Vic x

The course wasn't accredited but I learned acrylics when I did my formal training (which was accredited) so it was sold as more of a refresher course. I think I'm just really rusty and need to do a proper training course, however, i'm just doing nails on the side of my degree for extra money so I'm not really sure when I'll find the time but I'll need to if my clients aren't happy ;) x

What brand have you now choosen to use and what were you using? The best thing i did was choose the brand i wanted to use and did there training course before starting up my business & working on paying clients. That way i was sure i was following all correct steps in application and removal. If you're not 100% sure of what you are doing you will loose your current client base as they just wont come back Do the training with the brand you will be using ☺

5 simple steps that if follies correctly you cannot go wrong Don't let the product touch the skin atall
Etch the nail plate
Dehydrate the nail plate
Prime the nail plate
And lastly apply your layers thinly making sure to cap your free edge every time

Followed*****

Hi,
Maybe run us through your application and we might be able to advise from there x

Millyjean your steps are dependent on what system you are using. I dont do all of these things with the products and system i use. You must flow product instructions and guidelines ☺

Not saying you do have to do them all but 9 out of 10 times if you do then there's no problems from my own personal experience

It so important that when doing gels, almost all of your time doing them is on your preparation. If you allow 45 minutes for the treatment, 30 minutes should be on prep and 15 on painting.

Buff over the whole nail plate, ensuring that you get right up to the cuticle line, dehydrate the nail plate with your prep wipe or nail polish remover (not acetone) and then apply your base coat capping all the free edges, right the way around the whole nail, still ensuring that your polish isn't too thick.

If you are doing cuticle work, try doing it dry, with no product. I do a full manicure and then gel and never have had any lifting or peeling, but this is argued by people when using gel. Stick to dry unless you have someone with really dry cuticles that just won't budge!!
I use Sally Hansens cuticle remover that works in 15 seconds without water, and isn't oily either. I never find anybody's cuticles won't budge with this. It's about £8 a bottle, which is quite expensive, but it doesn't need over using and if your clients come back for more amazing gel nails you don't mind paying it. ;)

Hope this helps xx

Interested to follow this post x

Sparkle_Nails if you could tell us what products/system ypu are using you will get more brand specific help. Without that info its hard to help you ☺

Sparkle_Nails if you could tell us what products/system ypu are using you will get more brand specific help. Without that info its hard to help you [emoji5]
Definitely, and please confirm it is gel enhancements as people seem to be getting confused thinking its gel polish...or is it just me getting confused?

Latest posts

Back