Newly qualified and failing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel the exact same I did my nails course back in 2011 and I have finally found a salon and a employer that is willing to give me a chance I haven't lots of confidence either but that's just me in general I have been doing Nails in the salon and they have been really good but I take too long I am taking 2 hours I need to get quicker but i get so stressed about taking to long but I suppose the more I do the quicker I will get right ? Xx

its all about practice. the other day I did a set of acrylics that usually take me like an hour and a half but the client said they had to be done in an hour including gel top colour so I focused on being quick and managed it!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I feel the exact same I did my nails course back in 2011 and I have finally found a salon and a employer that is willing to give me a chance I haven't lots of confidence either but that's just me in general I have been doing Nails in the salon and they have been really good but I take too long I am taking 2 hours I need to get quicker but i get so stressed about taking to long but I suppose the more I do the quicker I will get right ? Xx
Hi Sarah, so nice to hear someone else is in the same position although sorry to hear about the lack of confidence too :( as long as your doing well at the nails then the speed will come. I'm trying to relax and stop being so hard on myself as it's only hindering me! We will get there, us girls are mentally strong, lacking in confidence or not!! xx

It's awful having no confidence but i really want to do well with my nails and things as it's taken me years to find someone that's willing to give me a chance I also struggle with the apex and smile lines but i will get there xx

A ten hour day! You are getting paid for that right? Either way 10 hours of nails will strain your eyes and send you loopy! Don't do more than 8 hour days with regular breaks.
Tipping the hand forward when applying polish stops it running back and if it's running use less. It's better to do three thin coats than 2 thick coats that flood the nail walls.
You don't want to put remover into polish it will completely destroy it. If the nail polish has thickened use nail polish thinner, you can buy this at Sally's, capital etc. it makes it easy to work with again and doesn't ruin it.
It sounds like your boss is micromanaging you when you need space to work. Telling you everything is wrong (I'm sure it's not) and nit picking tiny things won't help you are in still confidence confidence from customers! You are qualified, you know what you are doing. Take more classes if you want more confidence but don't let him get to you. Take on the good advice to improve your work and let the rest roll off your back.

I'm concerned that he's charging clients money for your work and you're going unpaid. If your work is good enough to charge for then it can't be that bad!

I'm not there so I don't know but I'm willing to hazard a guess that the environment isn't helping your confidence and may even be hindering it. There are lots of companies who sadly are willing to take advantage of the newly qualified all whilst telling them they're no good.

Sure I'm all for a bit of work experience but it sounds like you're giving him more than he's giving you.

I practiced on friends and myself when I wasn't able to nab someone.

Latest posts

Back