No Shows...What to do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimi1101

Reaction score
On Friday I had a no show, booked in for a spray tan and full head foils and cut....arrrgggghhhhh!!!

I didn't have her number (my fault, she had been in the salon and filled out a record card but she didn't put her number and I never noticed) so I was a bit annoyed cos I didn't know what to do!

My beauty therapist said every client in the beuaty salon she used to work in took £10 deposits from everyone and if the appointment was cancelled within 24 hours or a no show, you wouldn't get your deposit back. What does everyone else do, or think of this? I did a search for deposits on here and found a thread about a bad salon not returning a deposit although it was cancelled in advance and special circumstances and obviously I would take each case into consideration but I've had 2 people in the past 3 days either not turn up to big bookings or we call to confirm the night before to be told "I was just about to call to cancel...." Yeah right you were.

So just looking for some advice or opinions. Thank youuu

we take deposits for bookings that will take more time... things like extensions, full body wax, full head highlights and cut etc

i take £10 and they can cancel within 24 hours..

i think there needs to be some sort of deposit policy to protect yourself from time wasters..

ive alwys hear the 'i was just about to ring' also

Maybe I will introduce a policy of any treatment over the value of £50 will need a deposit. I just get so frustrated...what if I never turned up to work one day? I'm sure some clients wouldn't be so understanding as we are expected to be when "traffic was a nightmare" or they just "forget"...every single time. I feel like cos I'm setting up a new business I should be doing everything to get new clients in. i asked a long standing client what she would think if I took a deposit for every appointment and she said she would find it inconvenient. I'm looking to do extensions course soon and will definitely take deposits for this. Thanks for your help. xx

yep you could i that way. we basically take deposits for anything over £60.

i know it is sooo annoying :mad:...

I always take a deposit from new customers and explain the reason why...time wasters etc. When it's a long standing client who I know and trust I don't bother.

I rent a room in a salon at a set price for 6 hours each week. In 6 hours I only see 8 clients, so if 2 of them didn't turn up I'd be losing money :eek:. Deposits are a must for me.

I am going to do courtesy calls for the month of October and see how i get on...then review the situation in November. Just think whilst I'm trying to get new clients I don't wanna put people off. We shall see!!!

thanks for your help :)xxx

The idea of taking a deposit is a good one, as it makes sure you get at least a token amount of cash when someone doesn't show.

However, if you are going to do this, you need to build your cancellation policy into everything you do - this means having it clearly displayed in your reception, printed in any brochures and always mentioned when you take bookings over the phone. If you don't mention it when someone books, you can't enforce it.

If it starts to happen a lot, you could consider doing what doctor surgeries do now, and have a sign on the reception desk saying "**number** of appointments missed this week. Please respect the cancellation policy!"

Another top tip is to take mobile phone numbers and then send the person a reminder text the day before about their appointment. It is simple enought to rig most Nokia phones up to a computer using Bluetooth, so it need only take a few moments per appointment to send the message (as you can type it on the computer rather than using the number keypad), and it prompts them to give you a call if there is a problem - or even reply to the text with a "Sorry, have to cancel" message, which at least gives you time to sell the slot again!

Something like "We're looking forward to seeing you at 10.00am tomorrow (Thu 1 Oct) for your appointment. Crazy Cutz (tel 251569)".

I was definitely thinking about doing the text reminder thing. At the moment what we are going to do is call everyone 24-48 hours in advance, through the month of October, and see how we do. At the moment, although I feel let down by no-shows, it's not like I would have given someone else the slot, in the majority of circumstances. But the girl on Saturday prompted me to really think hard about it. People don't think about it from our perspective...if I just didn't turn up to work that day, then how would they feel? I'm definitely going to keep track of it this month, and maybe next month try out texting. Just don't wanna put anyone off by taking deposits, but its worth bearing in mind for larger appointments, and busier times of the year. :) thanks for the advice and help everyone xx

Calling and confirming the day before has always worked for me.

Most people forget, or they don't keep track of their appointments on paper.... I would get many thank you's for the call and then they would show up.

Had only a few that would cancel when I called.

I think a deposit is a a great idea, and should almost be standard now, because human culture is changing.

I knew of some salons that would have the client provide their credit card number when booking appointments and sign a release form stating that if they didn't show or call 24-48 hours in advance to cancel they would charge them for their appointment.

Hi Kimi :) I agree with Tanya. I also use the method of calling and confirming the day before. I find that it really is helpful, some people would be surprised. I also have experienced "no shows" with the confirmation call but very rarely. If a guest "No shows" me three times, after confirmation calls (trust me it happens), I fire them. I politely explain to them that maybe our schedules don't comply and maybe another hairdresser would be a better fit. On a one time "no show" I just kinda bite the bullet. I fully agree with the deposits, fees, or any other stipulation salons give but I'm in a really small town with a lot of competing salons and I'm just too scared to do that :sad: But I do think it's smart because people can be so inconsiderate!!! Best of luck to you!!! :green:
On Friday I had a no show, booked in for a spray tan and full head foils and cut....arrrgggghhhhh!!!

I didn't have her number (my fault, she had been in the salon and filled out a record card but she didn't put her number and I never noticed) so I was a bit annoyed cos I didn't know what to do!

My beauty therapist said every client in the beuaty salon she used to work in took £10 deposits from everyone and if the appointment was cancelled within 24 hours or a no show, you wouldn't get your deposit back. What does everyone else do, or think of this? I did a search for deposits on here and found a thread about a bad salon not returning a deposit although it was cancelled in advance and special circumstances and obviously I would take each case into consideration but I've had 2 people in the past 3 days either not turn up to big bookings or we call to confirm the night before to be told "I was just about to call to cancel...." Yeah right you were.

So just looking for some advice or opinions. Thank youuu

I was definitely thinking about doing the text reminder thing. At the moment what we are going to do is call everyone 24-48 hours in advance, through the month of October, and see how we do.

It depends on how much spare time and capacity you have - from my own experience, getting hold of people on the phone can be a bit of a nightmare (and it only takes one client with too much time on their hands to occupy ten minutes' of your time on a single phone call!) which is why text messaging is so great - if you have a general message and then just copy and paste in the appropriate time to your computer, it can take less than ten seconds per record.

There's one other advantage, too - if you collect in mobile phone numbers, you can always ask the client if they mind receiving occasional special offers from you. That way, you've got a database that you can contact very quickly and cheaply if you find you have got a very quiet day (offering discounts) or to invite them to special launch events. SMS promotions can be pretty cheap to do, or even cheaper if you have a mobile phone with unlimited messages (but don't fall foul of their 'reasonable use' clause!)

Latest posts

Back